1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Meet the Florans

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Ghostar, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Haruhi Suzumiya

Haruhi Suzumiya Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Did it come to anyone that everyone in Starbound has infinite lives? It doesn't matter about the age that each sex dies at. I believe the gender of races is purely cosmetic anyway.

2. The Enlightened Grue

The Enlightened Grue Master Astronaut

well, they'd rub against each other in some fashion to accommodate a transferring of genetic material in such a manner as for the both of them to acquire sufficient material to help populate the nursery.

Epicface likes this.
  3. Spike

Spike Supernova

Plants can get fertilized when the ovary receptor comes in contact with pollen. So, if males have fuzzy butts when in heat, and females get pregnant every time they sit on some pollen, it can happen.

Epicface likes this.
  4. Con7Rad7

Con7Rad7 Giant Laser Beams

It's pollinating/breeding.
    I think but rubbing would be better

now we just need an action in game that lets florans butt-rub!

5. The Enlightened Grue

as long as you only believe that in games, please :p

6. Epicface

Epicface Heliosphere

Ah, thanks for the butt rubbing question.
    Butt rub emote would be too weird.
    Especially in multiplayer
    O.O"

7. ZoLyn

ZoLyn Aquatic Astronaut

You should stop double-posting so much. :)

Axe Garian likes this.
  8. Epicface

Epicface Heliosphere

Im sorry, I'll stop >_<"

9. Haruhi Suzumiya

Plant breading:
    Step 1. "Male" plant creates pollen.
    Step 2. Pollen gets transferred to other "female" plants by means such as bees or wind
    Step 3. Petals attract said bees
    Step 4. The plants ovaries create plant "eggs" (Ovules or something like that)
    Step 5. Pollen fertilizes the "eggs"
    Step 6. New baby plants get created
    That subject actually provided info I would use in everyday life. Thank you school

Anyway, Florans are humanoid so they would not reproduce like that. And I don't think reproduction will be part of the game.

10. Epicface

Epicface Heliosphere

Yeah, this is a fiction first of all. This is a 2D second of all... it would be hard even if it WAS implemented, which it wouldnt most likely. This is just lore I guess

Also, 700th Post, yayayayayaayayaayaya!

11. Con7Rad7

Yeah, they would do it physically in order to ensure success, thus creating the butt-rubbing action.

Epicface likes this.
  12. The Enlightened Grue

butt-rubbing animation for Starbound confirmed (at the very least through a mod only one person will ever know exists)

13. Spike

Spike Supernova

Here's my view on how Florans breed:

Step 1. "Male" plant looks at pictures of ripe flowers.
    Step 2. "Male" plant takes female plant out for a date.
    Step 3. The plants talked for a while, but nothing special happened.
    Step 4. The "male" plant tried to call the next day, but found out that the "female" plant had already made plans with some other plant with thicker roots.
    Step 5. After three months, the "female" plant comes back to him and tells the "male" plant that she is carrying seed and needs his help. The two plants commit to a rutial of bonding.
    Step 6. A new plant was made. The "female" plant then filed for divorce and left the freshly created plant with the "male" plant.
    Step 7. The male plant feels somewhat Beta.

14. Epicface

Epicface Heliosphere

OMG I had an idea. There might be a season where the male gets much more pollen, perhaps in winter, and then they "mate" like animals/humans do, the female would be pregnant for a few months, and in spring the baby would come ( Dunno if like mammel or from seed, probably seed-like egg ) and the baby would grow up.

TL;DR: In late winter the male gets much more pollen, they mate with female, female pregnant for few months, baby comes from seed, baby grows up
    ???
    PROFIT!!!!

15. Haruhi Suzumiya

QUICK! Post on the suggestions board before it gets stolen :D

16. Stargazer

Stargazer Existential Complex

A TL;DR for an idea that's only one sentence long?

Epicface likes this.
  17. Con7Rad7

....how would florans grow up from a seed? Would they grow like any other plant, than have an offbranch that becomes the floran, or would it just be a minifloran that graws and grows like an animal.

or would there be some complex life cycle and stuff with differant plant stages?

18. Epicface

Epicface Heliosphere

Done.

You know how lazy some ppl are >_>
    EDIT:
    There is a seed/pod right? After a while it starts to crack, then it opens (maybe releasing some kinda gross liquid) and the baby comes out, hopefully quickly being carried up by the mother or father. They would use water instead of milk probably :)

19. fetalstar

fetalstar 404 Artist Not Found Developer

Well, actually, the idea is that the only difference between "male" and "female" Florans is just their outside appearance... except that they lack the... traditional equipment to mate... so to speak.
    On the inside, they're all the same. Biologically, culturally, they're the same. There are no actual genders. They ARE plants, so I really do imagine that they have both female and male plant parts.

We never really came up with a reason WHY there are different body types. But Rho and I originally wanted just ONE body type, buuut for reasons they had to have two.
    So they have two.

I don't think it'd be something like "Males are hunters and females are gatherers!!" sort of thing though, because a "female" Floran would be just as awesome at hunting. Maybe it's just for a reason as simple as why some humans are tall and some are short.

As for their actual mating process... well... we didn't exactly expect people would get so hung up on that... >3>
    Maybe they do rub butts together! :eek:

20. Con7Rad7

I'm that lazy!

Just thought, would florans make fruit when they're pregnant?
    Then what happens when they are pregnant? Fruit? Do they eat the fruit then their crap become their children?

Epicface likes this.