1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Meet the Florans

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Ghostar, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Because internet.

2. The Enlightened Grue

The Enlightened Grue Master Astronaut

its probably just a physical difference.
    the male body shape most likely denotes a subspecies of Floran made for stealth and speed, as well as ambush-combat while the female body shape is slightly bulkier, and indicates a subspecies of Floran which would remain closer to nurseries and provide nutrients and defense for the young.

At least thats my thoughts on it.

3. Roxie Stables

Roxie Stables Parsec Taste Tester

Quite personally I would love to be a herm Floran,
    So much so I hope there is a mod for it,
    I actually thought about this a bit ago but said nothing.

4. Spike

Spike Supernova

Good point. I suppose our sexes are made for both genetic variation as well as practicalities. So does male florans live shorter than the female ones?

... because male humans actually have a shorter overall lifespan than females.

Oh, and in case you didn't know this before, I'm sorry. You're going to die young. Provided that you're a male.

5. Con7Rad7

Con7Rad7 Giant Laser Beams

Assuming florans are at the same medical level as us.

And it's not merely just that females live longer, the lifespan difference is getting closer and closer each year, it's just that males usually have more dangerous jobs and take more risks because of the little thing called testosterone

And I'm pretty certain human biology is invalid on plants too...

6. Spike

Spike Supernova

Well, Florans are pretty primitive according to Tiy's description on the home page. Also, have you heard of a phrase called YOLO?

[​IMG]

Male and females both die young.

7. ZoLyn

ZoLyn Aquatic Astronaut

So - After that post massacre.

Please do NOT bicker off-topic-like in posts like this in the future.

I had to clean up FOURTY TWO posts of more or less plain bickering or TOTALLY off-topic chatter.

Not slapping people around, but really o_O;

Anywho... Cleaned up the thread. Just remember, PM's next time yo. :p

Axe Garian and Huntrex like this.
  8. The Enlightened Grue

women only live longer lives because they aren't marrying women :p

but generally, the hunter/aggressor type will live a shorter life as it will take risks to defend a gardens nursery or increase a gardens area

9. Epicface

Epicface Heliosphere

By 2 years.
    males die 2 years earlier then females.
    Thats just average anyway :p

AGREED!

10. Con7Rad7

Ah, but they are plants and..... I don't know how that proves my point but.... eh, whichever sex would be stronger/fitter would last longer if they're primitive.

They take young deaths from accidents and such out of most life expectancy charts.

11. Epicface

Epicface Heliosphere

If we are taking life spans from primitive humans, it would be about 25 years average for both genders I think.
    Primitive ppl only live for 25 years usually. Thats kinda depressing,

12. Spike

Spike Supernova

And what of the scouts? Won't they also live a short life? And wouldn't most scouts be males?

I believe males would usually die earlier due to the fact that they are designed to pollinate, and then die.

Epicface likes this.
  13. Epicface

Epicface Heliosphere

[​IMG]

14. Huntrex

Huntrex Big Damn Hero

I think... I'm slowly, ever so slowly dieing waiting for this game...

15. Spike

Spike Supernova

Though I suppose the age of Florans depends on the rank that they have. More sheltered ranks like the head overseer would live longer regardless of sex, and less fortunate Florans, like the cannon fodders, almost die instantly.

Epicface likes this.
  16. Con7Rad7

I think it's more around 30ish

Even today though, in third world countries, males live two years longer than females.
    I'm pretty sure we could apply that to florans.... than again, they don't have sexes anyway so i don't know why we are even debating this :lolwut:

17. Epicface

Epicface Heliosphere

Top= longest life
    Overseer
    Children Guarder
    Guards
    Hunters
    Scouts
    Berserkers/warriors
    Non Florans ( TROLLOLOLOLOLOLOL )

Xefs likes this.
  18. Epicface

Epicface Heliosphere

My social studies book and teacher said about 25, but i suppose its close enough (though they dont have meny years to spare)
    Its males live 2 years SHORTER then females, human wise.

19. The Enlightened Grue

the "male" role I described would be the scouts and warriors, as they wouldn't be built for open defense.

also, these are plants- not insects.
    they are hermaphrodidic and would either rely on things like space-bees to help with pollination, or...
    well...
    they'd rub butts, essentially.

20. Epicface

Epicface Heliosphere

Rubbing butts doesnt make sense, why would they do that? or is that just another name for... ya know.
    I dont understand the rubbing butts part.
    Imma look up how plants breed :3