1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Meet the Florans

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Ghostar, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Spike

Spike Supernova

Now we'll need some zombies... and a neighbor with a cool trunk.

Axe Garian likes this.
  2. survivorization

survivorization Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I guess I'm just teaching biology tonight. There are typically two parts of a flower, though different species will have strictly male and female flowers that make the entire plant one sex or the other. If the florans are unisex then that means they have both male and female flower parts. The male part produces sperm encased in pollen and the female parts will produce eggs. Some produce egg groups that also must be fertilized for a seed to develop, but that's more advanced stuff. The majority of plant species can't fertilize themselves so they rely on either clouds of pollen to be released that are carried on the wind or some form of animal to come by and exchange pollen from one flower to the next. Next the seed forms and it becomes enclosed in a fruit. Now fruit isn't always what we think of, like things like apples and lemons. The shell of a peanut is also a fruit as are briars that get stuck on your jeans. The fruit only has two purposes: to protect the seeds, and to aid in seed dispersal by either getting eaten, hitching a ride on an animal, flying through the air, or in one exotic case getting shot away from the tree in an explosive burst.

There's only one way for a flower bearing plant to reproduce asexually and that's through budding, where the top of the plant that grows is cut off planted in the ground, that severed bit will go on to become a cloned individual.

Also since the florans produce colorful flowers, they don't reproduce via the cloud of pollen method. The flowers of plants that reproduce this way are more often than not small and dull or not even noticeable. Most of the time plants don't expend energy into unnecessary growth, which is what flowers are if they're not attracting pollinators. As soon as a flower gets fertilized it signals for a pheromone to be produced that kills off the petals. The only time they do expend that energy is through an alternate seed growing technique where a plant will start storing food for an unfertilized egg though I think most of the time several things have to be fertilized with pollen first before the plant will kickstart that process. That way it doesn't waste energy and materials on seeds that might not get fertilized.

blind sniper and Ymedron like this.
  3. survivorization

survivorization Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I see livestock.

And this is how conversations happen instead of spouting opinions into the wind.
    You're a freaking cat.

4. BananaMender

BananaMender Guest

Now i can make a TREE HOUSE just like in Terraria MWUAHAHAHAHAhahahaha......

5. KuraiRyuu

KuraiRyuu Space Kumquat

All this talk about how they produce makes me think it would be cool if you could somehow have babies, then raise them and they become normal NPCs after a while.

6. DNAY!

DNAY! Ketchup Robot

I´m definitely being a Floran in my first play!

7. Tux

Tux Subatomic Cosmonaut

so... they are like invaders?

8. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

Blog post says they value expansion and are "hyper-aggressive," so it's probably likely that hey make invasions pretty often.

9. The Enlightened Grue

The Enlightened Grue Master Astronaut

we can't escape the behavior patterns of Terraria's goblins even in an entirely different game.

The Demon of Borders likes this.
  10. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Yes we can.Florans invade you in hover tanks.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  11. The Enlightened Grue

this is my anti-gravity force-gun.
    first it lessens a local gravity field (around 20 yards of impact zone) by up to 500%.
    then it applies what my scientists have classified as a "metric sh*t load" of kinetic force through a hard burst of air in whatever direction its pointing.

Imagine the anti-gravity tool from Gmod and then the Gravity Gun.

12. Rho

Rho Pixel Sorceress Chucklefish

So I've noticed a lot of theorycrafting going on in this thread - if people want I can answer questions and hopefully clear up any misconceptions. Or if you'd prefer I can keep you guessing :p

13. The Enlightened Grue

I'm not entirely sure what we'd like more...
    can I leave it up to you or someone else who can make up their mind?

14. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

Hm I have one. Given their nature, does that mean that no matter what race you play if you come across a Plantie village they will attack you? (Since if the player is playing a plantie they are obviously an "outcast")

Servilus and Axe Garian like this.
  15. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

Well, I don't know about that. I meant from like a fiction perspective. Whether and how "invasions" will occur in game is way beyond my guesses.

I'm always happy to see any new information.

16. Walross

Walross Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, oh Rhoverlord, how do they actually repair ships? What kind of materials do they use?

17. Kelp

Kelp Big Damn Hero

I would hope so, but maybe there are outcast villages. :idea:
    Then again, maybe not!

I do think it would be quite interesting to have a few somewhat 'peaceful' Floran out there, merchants and things alike. I expect it to some degree (Especially since the post says that some question their acts) but it's fair game if the villages want to stew or BBQ you.

18. DeathlySkittles

DeathlySkittles Seal Broken

from what I've gathered the florans aren't particularly warlike but just dont perceive other races as equals and perceive them as noms. basicly how we see plants food and fuel they see us the same!

Axe Garian likes this.
  19. The Demon of Borders

The Demon of Borders King Homestuck 4.13

Suddenly,
    everything makes sense to me now.

Axe Garian and DeathlySkittles like this.
  20. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

im just guessing here but knowing how they make babies seems a big concern for people in this thread :p

and dude, thats in reality, were in freakin space and talking about freakin anthropomorphic plants, give it some leeway willya ?