1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Master List of Starbound Fixes (OUTDATED)

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by satoru, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

Please revisit this page, its no longer correct

2. satoru

satoru Tentacle Wrangler

That's extremely unrealistic given that most users will have Steam installed in Program Files and that Windows itself more or less forces you to do that.

3. satoru

satoru Tentacle Wrangler

Yeah I've been a bit out so I haven't had time to revamp the fixes. I'm going through it now to sort it a tad better.

Let me know what should be added/removed

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  4. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

I'm not sure how it forces anything... you can install applications wherever you want...

Primarily:

Hamachi:
    You have to extract the PAK to get to the .configs now.

Rendering:
    OpenGL is an option on the Launcher

Hanging at the logo:
    Diagnostic button in the launcher.
    Check starbound.log

Launcher:
    Dependencies are now all included.
    The other fix is a permissions issue, likely caused by unnecessary elevation.

Here's one to add:

OSX 10.9.1, crashing on startup with Furious Koala?
    Empty the player/ and universe/ directories, you most likely have pre-Furious data. Worst case, also delete assets/ and then Verify.

-----

Also:
    "Could not create the Direct3d device"
    One of the following is true:
    -Your video card is not compatible.

Definitely incompatible GPUs are:
    -Most pre-X1300 AMD/ATi chipsets
    -Pre-GeForce6 nVidia chipsets (GF5 is software-OpenGL only)
    -Pre-GMA4500 Intel chipsets (GMA3000/X3000/X3500/X3100 MAY work with the latest drivers)

-Your drivers need to be updated.
    Most important for Intel GPUs. Their features are entirely software-driven.

-Some other application stole the device.
    Could be video capture software, could be because you locked your screen or switched display configurations. Could be because your GPU hardware or driver locked up and had to be restarted.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  5. Sweeppah

Sweeppah Intergalactic Tourist

Hello, this is how i fixed my Starbound crash while trying to launch the game from launcher (might be relevant to other firewalls).

I'm using Online Armor firewall and i needed to add the game folder to "Path to exclude" list. It didn't make any difference if i disabled all other features from Online Armor but firewall and add the .exe files to allowed list in firewall tab. It seems the firewall will hook the app somehow even if i add the exe files as allowed and caused Starbound to crash.

So in my case. clicking Online Armor from the task bar -> Options -> Exclusion -> add "(your steam folder location)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound" to the list.

Finally after two months i can play it!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  6. satoru

satoru Tentacle Wrangler

Is Online Armor a firewall or AV software as well?

7. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

Yes. If Online Armor is causing crashes, the OA DLL will show up in the stack trace.

8. Sweeppah

Sweeppah Intergalactic Tourist

Online Armor has firewall and some program/web security components that you can disable and enable as you see fit, i only had firewall enabled.

9. Bardo

Bardo Void-Bound Voyager

Hi my starbound has a problem when I click on launch starbound appears a black screen and then immediately the second mesagem appears: starbound GraphicsException error: Could not create a device HAL: Back buffer not supported / Hardwasre acceleration is not available. Back buffer format: 0040985c 23, and shortly thereafter another message appears
    visal microsoft C + + runtime library, help me please do not know anymore what to do

windows vista

10. manzano16

manzano16 Space Hobo

I just downloaded this game and cannot get it to launch. I'm on Windows XP. When I click on 'Launch Starbound' it hangs up for amoment and then returns the following error message:

GraphicException: Could not create the Direct3d device: Creation call was invalid
    StarApplicationBase: innerGraphicsCreate()
    StarApplicationBase: GraphicsCreate()
    StarApplicationBase: run()
    _SDL_main
    _console_main

I'm not logged into my computer as an Admin, and I've disabled the Stean overlay as instructed in this site. Any help is much appreciated, just trying to get this one running for my kids and I'm not familiar with this at all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.