1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Make the Light Bow great again!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by noobsqoou, Oct 9, 2017.

1. noobsqoou

noobsqoou Big Damn Hero

The Light Bow in its current form is terribly boring. It's a non-upgradable tier 3 weapon, has a mediocre secondary effect for a fully charged shot, and has no RMB special ability. I think this weapon could be turned into something very useful, however:
    1. Make it upgradable to Tier 6 at the Weapon Upgrade Anvil.
    2. Modify the fully charged shot:
      • Arrows that hit the ground stick and provide light for 20 seconds (40 seconds when upgraded).
      • Arrows that strike a target inflict the Glow status for 20 seconds (40 seconds when upgraded).
    3. Add a RMB special -- "Guiding Light"
      • Launches a light arrow that glows at any charge amount. Charge only affects flight time and arc.
      • The light arrow drops clones of itself straight down every few blocks it travels through the air.
      • All of the arrows fired/dropped stick and provide light for 20 seconds (40 seconds when upgraded).
      • All of the arrows fired/dropped deal no damage.
      • Ability has an exceptionally long cooldown.
    These changes would make the Light Bow an excellent tool for exploring in the dark (nighttime, underground, etc.).

Cybrfox and DraikNova like this.
  2. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I'm not even sure the Guiding light ability's dropped arrows would need to have a particularly long cooldown (2-3x as long a cooldown as the basic attack seems fine) or for the dropped arrows to deal no damage. Considering how difficult it'd be to consistently hit enemies with them, 25% of the initial arrow's damage should be fine. Also, I'm pretty sure the weapon upgrade anvil system wouldn't be capable of lengthening the duration of those status effects, due to the way the upgrade/tier system works.