Mac OSX Wineskin Attempts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Soshta, Feb 27, 2016.

1. WinnieStuff

WinnieStuff Seal Broken

Riven - please feel free (if you are willing) to add some notes for us complete noobs. Instructions can never be too detailed for me :) Thank you all for your amazing work on this!

• DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

Yeah, so... should I delete my existing .wine folder or what? What do I ned to add to ensure that everything is clean? (And I've already done step one - brew install Caskroom/cask/xquartz - if I start clean need I do it again?

• jeregrine

jeregrine Void-Bound Voyager

If you follow my steps (the hardest being installing homebrew and editing the file) it will work and is probably a little easier for complete newbies.

• jeregrine

jeregrine Void-Bound Voyager

Haxd I found the only requirements were
          xact xna40 steam​
          having tested on a fresh install of wine/winetricks on macosx.

• DukeOfRiven

I'm only a noob +1 - All I did was get us to the point where we new that it was time to bring in the real experts.

• DukeOfRiven

I just need this part explained:

"Apply this patch to the repo"

So I run this in the tab: git clone git://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git

And do I navigate somewhere, open up a file, and then copy paste? Replace? That's the bit this noob is hung-up on.

• DukeOfRiven

Using @haxd 's step by step guide, I have already run

brew install Caskroom/cask/xquartz

and

brew install --only-dependencies --devel wine

If I wish to do this with a clean wineprefix (as I should), and I delete my .wine prefrefix in the home direcory, will that erase the

brew install Caskroom/cask/xquartz

and

brew install --only-dependencies --devel wine

Steps? Or am I being an idiot?

(Or am I panicking because we're so close to the end that I can taste it and now I have to go to work and UGH. I hate the way wine makes me feel ignorant and stupid.)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
                • alphahouse

alphahouse Seal Broken

oh cheers for the writeup! this worked for the Gog version. But, the winetricks gui would not run for me, so I had to use ./winetricks d3dx10 etc to install each of the dlls. I also ran into a bunch of errors on the GOG stardew setup.exe, but the game launched anyway.

So now what I don't understand is where the game is installed to? I can't figure out where the exe is and how to run the game without rerunning the GOG install. If anyone is trying this with GOG, please share!

• alphahouse

alphahouse Seal Broken

Inside of the wine source directory, you have to find and open the dlls/wined3d/directx.c file. Delete line 5029, it should be if

(gl_info->supported[ARB_BLEND_FUNC_EXTENDED])

opening the file with text edit is probably your best bet. If it does not show the line numbers, you can probably do a search for with the entire line you need to delete.

• MonokelPinguin

MonokelPinguin Space Spelunker

Congrats, that you got this working!

Generally redistributing wine should be no problem. It is a gpl program, so the only thing you have to do, is to make public all your changes to the source code. In this case the patch is already uploaded. The gpl requires only, that others can reproduce the build, so they just have to follow the guide in this thread and that should produce the same binaries. So if someone could upload a zipped up build folder, I'd guess this would make playing the game much easier for most people. Configuring wine is hard enough and the people that can build wine are probably even less.

Anyway it makes me really happy, that after now nearly a week it finally works!

• WinnieStuff

WinnieStuff Seal Broken

I'm following Haxd's instructions and I am to this one: "
                        cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Stardew\ Valley/"

I have the Gog file, so naturally I skipped the steps in which you install Steam. So, where should I put the Stardew exe file, and then how do I go about installing it. If I have a ./wine/drive_c file, I can't find it...

• MonokelPinguin

Calm down! xD
                          brew installs xquartz and the dependencies to build wine into your system directories.
                          Deleting your prefix in your home directory will only clean the wine configuration of this prefix, the xna, steam and stardew installations. It doesn't change anything about wine itself, you can just create a new prefix afterwards and install the windows programs again. If you are still unsure, you can also use the WINEPREFIX variable as before to point wine to a different prefix without deleting your old one. Just make sure that the variable always points to the directory of the new prefix!

I think you have by now found out, how to patch directx.c. Either edit the file directly or use the patch command to patch the file automatically. To do the later you have to be in the wine source directory and execute
                          Code:
                          patch < <pathToPatchWrittenToFile>
                          . But the first method is probably much simpler for you to use. Just open a text editor and find the line.Also cd doesn't modify a file, it [c]hanges the current [d]irectory, like you usually do in a file browser by clicking on a few folders.

• MonokelPinguin

Use wine <pathToSetup.exe> to execute the installer, let it finish, click away the errors, then locate the Stardew exe and execute it. If it complains about missing files, change directory to the directory the exe is in and execute the exe from there.

• alphahouse

alphahouse Seal Broken

yes, it would be brilliant if someone could package it up as a wineskin or something easier to work with.

So for my work with the GOG installer, I still can't find where it installs the files: if i try `ls -a` in the directory that the setup.exe is in, it does not create any dotfiles in there. Searching for filenames like Stardew with Finder doesn't turn up anything, but I do see stuff like:

C:\\users\\username\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\StardewValley

in the wine logs when the installer runs. Also, it looks like none of the Date Modified timestamps in any of the wine/stardew directories update when I do an install..hmmm

Anyway, even with GOG, it seems that I can save and load games without any issues even if I reinstall the game with the setup.exe every time I want to play :kitten2:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
                              • WinnieStuff

WinnieStuff Seal Broken

Just to double check: When changing the directx.c file, I am looking for this:
                                if (gl_info->supported[ARB_BLEND_FUNC_EXTENDED])
                                caps->DestBlendCaps |= WINED3DPBLENDCAPS_SRCALPHASAT;

if (gl_info->supported[EXT_BLEND_COLOR])
                                {

and I am supposed to make it look like this:
                                caps->DestBlendCaps |= WINED3DPBLENDCAPS_SRCALPHASAT;

if (gl_info->supported[EXT_BLEND_COLOR])
                                {

I just delete the entire line "if (gl_info->supported[ARB_BLEND_FUNC_EXTENDED])"

Thanks for all the help :)

• Dyrus1899

Dyrus1899 Intergalactic Tourist

Would any1 be able to make a short video with steps on how to get it running on mac? As i looks like an awesome game! howeverI have never used wine/wineskins or other programs listed. That do be awesome, but its cool otherwise, will just hv to wait for a mac release! :)

• huecester

huecester Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@jeregrine, still getting error messages. Followed your every step the only thing I did differently was compiling wine in a seperate folder but I don't think that would've done it.

• grafofilia

grafofilia Void-Bound Voyager

I can help with a step-by-step tutorial with images.

Soshta and Dyrus1899 like this.
                                      • Dyrus1899

Dyrus1899 Intergalactic Tourist

That would be awesome please :)

• WinnieStuff

WinnieStuff Seal Broken

Well, I've clearly made a mistake somewhere, because I still get the graphics card error. sigh. I'll wait to see more reports from people. Good luck all.