1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Lower than 60fps

Discussion in 'Support' started by infinifry, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Waf3rCrack3rs

Waf3rCrack3rs Space Hobo

Hi guys Im also experiencing drop in Fps (42fps).

My specs are

i7 3770k @3.5ghz
    7970ghz
    windows 7
    16 ram

It seems like when i play at 1440p via AMD's VSR i get constant 42fps, sames goes for when i play it at 1080p fullscreen. But when i play in borderless window mode at 1080p i will initial have 60 fps, but it will slow down back to 42fps after about 5 minutes or so of gameplay. I have tried to update the redistributables but it didn't work.

i also have to GOG version.

• Wagadodo

Wagadodo Space Spelunker

Same issue here.

i7 4770k @4.2GHZ
      GTX 780
      Windows 10
      32GB RAM

I have the GoG version aswell.

I have tried everything to recreate this problem but it is highly random, i find it weird.
      Ive looked over my Nvidia settings aswell and made damn sure it runs off my 780.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
      • OrSpeeder

OrSpeeder Phantasmal Quasar

I have a laptop

i7-3610QM with turboboost disabled.
        GeForce 630M
        Windows 8.1
        8GB ram

I did checked if the game uses the GPU instead of integrated intel, and it does use GPU.

Game slow downs usually when it is raining, or there are lots of "entities" on the screen, orignially I thought it was only with high enemy count in dungeons, but after I expanded my farm a lot, I started to seeing the issue with the high number of crops too.

When it slow downs, the GPU usage sits around 30% (and my GPU is very slow! a GTX 970 will probably hit 5% usage!), and my CPU usage around 50% of a core.

I have other games (including all my emulated Harvest Moon and Rune Factory games) that also do that, when they do is because I/O (ie: my I/O indicator shoots to past 100%, I have a 5200 RPM disc, that also has very low bandwidth), I guess Stardew has some similar issue, not necessary with the disc, might be massive transference of RAM instead.

Modern computers have the Northbridge (the chip that controls high bandwidth devices, like GPU and RAM) on the CPU die, and unfortunately is very hard to figure optimization problems if you are hitting a Northbridge capacity issue, because it can't be easily overclocked or downclocked to test (and there is no dedicated way that I know of to test it by software).

• Alan Minder

Alan Minder Starship Captain

Just confirming I've been having the very same issue as well.
          Not helping, sure, but hey, you know.
          I've got Windows 7, 16gb ram, i7-3770K
          GOG version as well

• Snaitf

Snaitf Poptop Tamer

I was having this same issue, although I am uncertain how to check my actual FPS, it would definitely drop after a few minutes, and resizing the window would SOMETIMES fix it, but only for a limited time. I tried running in full screen, windowed, and borderless windowed, all with different resolutions to no avail. The game would simply slow down to a crawl, and the only way to fix it was to play windowed and change the window size/position and, like I said, it would only work occasionally and for a short time.

What DID work however, was installing the XNA .msa redistributable package and rebooting, now I am no longer experiencing slow downs. If it should happen to occur again, I will edit this post, but in the mean time, this is what worked for me. Good luck!

• Shnowmon

Shnowmon Intergalactic Tourist

On windows 10 with the same issue. Spent about 4 hours trying to resolve it. I have tried everything suggested here to no avail. However, I thought "If its FPS related, why don't I limit it." By using a program I have used for a while called Dxtroy, I did some messing about. I found out that if the FPS is limited above 41 the problem still occurs. BUT, if it is limited at 40 it no longer slows the game down. You have to play at a slower frame rate, but it makes the game feel leaps and bounds better without the slowdown. Hope this helps someone. Here is to hoping there will be a patch for this big soon. Happy Farming!

• Solsund

Solsund Space Hobo

I'm using the GoG version of the game and was having this same issue. Sudden 100% CPU usage that goes away temporarily if I change the window dimensions. I saw the author mention it was written in C# and after looking in the game directory I realized it's written in XNA which is perfect as I have loads of experience with that from my time working with Terraria. So I loaded up my .NET profiler and went digging for the issue.

I don't have an answer as to why the game is doing this but I do have more information as to what is going wrong.

The issue is found in the XNA game loop under .Tick(). When the game was working I was getting about 2000 times in that function, which was about what was to be expected. 2000 times calling the functions to compare the old time to the new time and 2000 times calling Update and Draw. When it wasn't working I was still getting 2000 times calling Update and Draw but I was getting a whopping 41 million calls into Tick and the time comparison code. This means the time comparison code slipped off it's timer and was being called constantly while the game was attempting to process Update and Draw, slowing it all down pretty bad.

Resizing the window forces the system to reboot a bit which fixes the issue until it happens again. Sadly, because this is happening in the XNA framework code instead of the game specific code it's hard to say if there will be a definitive fix from the game authors. There's a chance their game code is causing it to happen but if that were the case why would only the GoG version be getting affected?

Makes me wish I'd bought the Steam version but I can't get my gaming PC on the internet right now so a movable GoG version made more sense.

Hope this helps the dev track the issue down.

jpinard, Kittenykat and Shnowmon like this.
                • Waf3rCrack3rs

Waf3rCrack3rs Space Hobo

Is it specific to the GOG version?, not saying I want the steam version to be like this as well, but it will suck if the GoG version can't not be fixed. But i understand that the game is develop by one person so it will take some time for it to be fixed.

By the way i tried installing XNA and still drops in frames.

Maybe someone else can help[ develop patch or mod that help the issue.

• Raythair

Raythair Big Damn Hero

I'm on the GOG version aswell.

Same problems, reinstalling XNA doesn't help.

Win 10
                    i5-6600K
                    GTX 760

• Waf3rCrack3rs

Waf3rCrack3rs Space Hobo

Hey guys i think i found a way to fix the drops in frames, i did a combination of things to get it to run at 60fps, so i'm not sure what exactly fixed it

Anyway what i did was:

1. Run stardew valley as administration
                      2. On windows 7, turn your desktop to basic format or colour. ( i think you do it via control panel)
                      3. Makes sure you turn off any applications that you are not using for example i turn steam off because im not currently using it. Also make sure that you don't run any programs or application in the background for example google chrome.

I know this seems like a weird way to fix the issue, but after doing all this i found that my game ran a lot better. No guarantee that my method will work for you, but hopefully it will. Good luck.

• infinifry

infinifry Intergalactic Tourist

I don't think it's GOG specific. I've seen a few posts on the Steam boards about the problem. I think the reason everybody here with the issue has the GOG version is because GOG doesn't have a game specific board like Steam does, so this is the only option for us.

I've tried changing to reduced color mode in the properties of the game, but it didn't help.

• Kittenykat

Kittenykat Big Damn Hero

Wow, good job tracking down a major clue like that!
                          And as you'd expect, I'm having the random slowdown issues too, though for me it's almost constant unless I kill nearly every other process I'm running other than stardew. D: Hopefully this can get fixed soon, now that we've got a solid lead as to the why of it.

Anyways, I have the GOG version. It did not come with a _redist folder at all, so there's no XNA or frameworks or whatever to install for me, anywhere. :wut:

Specs
                          Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
                          CPU:
                          Core i5-4690K @ 3.5 GHz
                          RAM: 8 GB
                          GPU: Radeon HD 7750

• -InteL

-InteL Big Damn Hero

Same here, I also have GOG version.

Specs

Windows 10 Pro.
                            4770k.
                            8 Gigs.

• agentgoblin

agentgoblin Space Hobo

Windows 7 x64, i5-4590 CPU, GTS 450 video and GOG game version (now 1.04).

Did some tests and get interesting results. I changed window mode in Options -> Graphics menu and measure FPS:
                              Code:
                              Window mode . . . . . . FPS
                              Fullscreen ............ 58
                              Windowed (any size) ... 60
                              Windowed borderless ... 40

I reloaded game many times with same results. Who have 40 FPS - please check, what window mode you use. I think it's issue appears in only one window mode and GOG version by default running in "windowed borderless".

• Alan Minder

Alan Minder Starship Captain

Sadly, this "fix" is always only temporary (at least for me). After a few seconds (if it even does work better after changing it), it goes back to struggling with the framerate.
                                Again, the issue definitely seems to come entirely from the game itself. I doubt there's much to do until the dev himself takes care of it.

• Shnowmon

So update. I have tried everything on this thread thus far with no forward progress. On the other hand, I bought the Steam version and played it for 2 hours with absolutely no problems on any resolution configuration! It may be different for someone else, but mine seems to be isolated to ONLY the GoG version. Here's to hoping this bug gets noticed. This game is great, and I'm not the least bit discouraged I have spent a total of 30 dollars on it so far!

• agentgoblin

agentgoblin Space Hobo

It's bad. I have stable 58-60 FPS long time when play in fullscreen or window with borders. You have NVIDIA video card too?

Low FPS is the price of freedom. :D

• Kittenykat

Kittenykat Big Damn Hero

Performance seems identical to me whether I'm using fullscreen or borderless window, but I have an AMD video card.

• infinifry

infinifry Intergalactic Tourist

Okay everyone. I think I found a solution thanks to someone on reddit. Go to this link: https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/comments/49j5vj/bug_reporthub_424344_fps_lag_framerate_drop/ and download the Google Drive file. It's named _CommonRedist which is different from the _redist folder that came with my install and it has a different XNA redist. I just pasted the folder in my Stardew Valley folder and installed the XNA file. I played an entire day without any slowdown, whereas before I couldn't play a few minutes without the frame rate dropping. Hope this helps!

• Shnowmon

I can confirm this works on my end! This XMA install matches the one Steam provides in its install package. I went back to my GoG install after steam had automatically installed this package for that version of the game, and it works flawlessly! Hopefully this is a all round solution to those still experiencing slowdown. Thanks for the find infinifry!