1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Lost Bookmarks

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by kero-sene, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kero-sene

kero-sene Aquatic Astronaut

I logged in today for the first time to see that my bookmarked planets were gone, including the one I was using as a home base. The bookmark for the Outpost was even gone, I had to manually go there and reset the bookmark.
    Is there any way to restore the bookmarks aside from returning to the planets and re-doing them? I didn't write down the coordinates for any of them, so it would be almost impossible to find them again.

2. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

3. kero-sene

Ah!! Thank you so much!! I'll try this right away! :D[DOUBLEPOST=1431909647][/DOUBLEPOST]So, after some poking around, I found that not only had I lost my bookmarks, I have also lost my home world. The game now thinks that my home world is a different planet, with a totally different name. I used a few different workarounds to find the coordinates to my homeworld, and every time it lead to the same planet. So... I guess it's all gone then? I know this game is in beta and everything, but for things like this to just randomly happen... kinda pisses me off to be honest. Just... wow. My luck must be terrible.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
    Kayuko likes this.
  4. kero-sene

So, for the second time in two days, the game decided to delete my bookmarks. I wrote down the coordinates of my new "home" planet, so that's great, but I'm wondering if there's something I can do to prevent this from happening again. It seems to occur every other time I log in. It's really annoying.

5. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

Are you using any mods?
    That really sounds like a mod problem. Kinda. Tho I never heard of it occuring that often.

kero-sene and River King like this.
  6. Narks

Narks Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Are you playing on a multiplayer server? Bookmarks are stored on their end, so the server owner might be deleting them.

kero-sene likes this.
  7. kero-sene

I'm not using any mods, and I'm only playing on single player.

The only thing I can think of is my laptop kinda sucks, so sometimes it blue screens or restarts for no reason, and maybe that it corrupting the save file in some way? I really don't know how that would work though.

8. Kayuko

Kayuko Oxygen Tank

Yeah, me neither.
    It should either completely corrupt it or leave it as it is. But nothing in between.
    No clue then, sorry, probably really a bug. o.o

9. kero-sene

Yeah, that's my thought on it. I guess I'll just send a bug report and deal with it until it gets fixed. :/

10. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Merged Threads - please don't make another thread on the same issue if the issue already exists.
    ==

The game actively saves your actions.
    A BSOD during saves would corrupt the save file. It is not a bug if the computer is an active contributor to the issue it self.

You can try restoring your old character

But as long as your computer continues to BSOD - it will continue to happen.
    You must fix your BSOD. It can either be due to faulty ram, over heating, or numerous other issues.

This will occur in any game which implements continues saves.

11. kero-sene

To be clear, the blue screen never happened while I was playing the game. It occurred afterwards when I closed my laptop. I also made many "hard" saves by using the "save and quit" function and completely exiting the game and then re-entering in order to be sure it saved correctly. If the blue screen were to affect anything, I would think it would be temporary data and not anything affected by hard saves.

12. The | Suit

You have BSOD when shutting down the computer?

13. kero-sene

Mostly it happens when I close the laptop, it goes to sleep, and then I open it again some time later. It can happen occasionally when I use the laptop, but never while playing Starbound.

14. The | Suit

If I was a betting man I would suspect that is where the issue lies.
    I would probably get it serviced - might be due to faulty RAM. If information was saved into corrupted ram - the information saved it self would be corrupted.

But it would be hard to call it a bug unless others face the same issue without the same circumstances of corruption.

15. kero-sene

Well, if that's the case, I think it might be a bad idea for that information to be stored in the RAM, but that's just me. Guess I will have to get it looked at.

16. The | Suit

You are constantly writing and reading information, doing that on a hard drive would slow down things significantly. To put it into perspective RAM is around 100,000 x faster than a standard hard drive when you are doing random access.

17. kero-sene

But something that shouldn't be temporary information, like bookmarks? That should not fall into the realm of "random access". That should be permanent information.

18. The | Suit

Well its not exactly like that - You preload information so its quickly accessible. So you always load information which is constantly accessed ahead of time.
    Otherwise there would be a delay where the information is searched - and then read and then displayed

Anyway lets just wait and see if anyone else is facing a similar issue for now.
    So we can rule it out..

19. kero-sene

Alright, sorry for arguing with you. It's just frustrating. I can try using my other computer to see if the issue still exists.

20. Cromage

Cromage Aquatic Astronaut

I've also had this issue, with both bookmarked planets and teleporters disappearing. Loading the player backups does not fix the problem; it restores my old inventory but no backups have bookmarks.

Fortunately I know where my home planet is. But going back to rebookmark it wastes fuel. =(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.