Living Planets (Or Planatary parasites) Revamped And Ressurected

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Nightly, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

I suppose its possible for the LPs to be able to manipulate the shell with the nutrients they absorbed while growing. But it would probably be a rare genetic defect. Also it would be hilarious to watch people flip out when they find their base is gone. So I suppose its POSSIBLE but if it IS implemented it would be rare as FUCK.

2. cooptex977

cooptex977 Big Damn Hero

YAY nightly's approval :DD
    Also, I think that it would offer an interesting aspect to multiplayer, as they would be a coveted, yet dangerous, resource.

3. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

Indeed. I would like to think that the Living Planets will force either cooperative or cutthroat behavior. Also glad my approval matters to someone. Yay. :badger:

4. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

This just in. Nightly has acquired a penguin badge.

Also Hymn To The Stars on the soundtrack is so fucking beautiful and amazing it almost made me cry.

5. Paillan

Paillan Existential Complex

who would build a base while the planet is still living?

6. cooptex977

cooptex977 Big Damn Hero

Unsuspecting and foolish spacegoers.

7. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

8. Typlosion

Typlosion Star Wrangler

I feel like when you visit an LP the fact that it is an LP should be blatantly obvious. No one wants to go through that, especially if they're unlucky enough to find themselves on one of these planets the first time they touch down for resources. Going on there merry little way, building a dirt shack, and then having it smashed to bits by an evil tentacle monster they're not ready for. My idea for this would be as soon as you touch down you get a stat modifier type icon somewhere on the screen basically telling you, "Hey this is a living planet, so you're SOL if you're looking for a place to build!"

9. Paillan

bad idea, unexpected surprise attack from the planet itself is funnier.

10. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

Well its not going to be super easy for that to happen. First of all, all LPs are high level planets. Secondly they will have a lack of tunnels except one. and last but not least they are quite rare to find. Plus there probably would be some sort of thing telling you that youre on a LP. So if you miss all these signals you are an idiot and its your fault for not paying attention.

11. Typlosion

Typlosion Star Wrangler

You were talking about unsuspecting players building on them, so in part, you have just agreed with me by saying that the only way they're going to build on an LP is if they are an idiot.

12. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

Lets put it like this. You go to a new high level planet with no suspicions. You build a small simple outpost for your safety at night. You go mine not too far from the base and hit a fleshy looking part of the ground. Suddenly the grounds like "SURPRISE!" and spews forth a large batch of tentacles which attempt to kill you and rip apart your base. Thats how it will probably work. If you don't piss it off, it wont know you're there. Otherwise I think it would be fun for you to unable to tell if its a living planet. Cause whats the fun in that?

cooptex977 likes this.
  13. cooptex977

cooptex977 Big Damn Hero

If they put this in the game I claim partial credit >:D

14. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

Thanks for reminding me to give credit to the people who gave major ideas to the Living Planet, including the only guy who gave me a picture for it so far.

15. Paillan

this is not sience. This is a frikin LP!

16. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

Wat.:wut:

17. Paillan

wat, wat? :facepalm:

18. cooptex977

cooptex977 Big Damn Hero

Does this mean I don't get partial credit? :'(

19. Paillan

donĀ“t be sad, here a cookie
    :cookie:

20. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

Not entirely sure. One one hand you did help me refine a sizable part of the idea. I guess you can receive partial credit for it. Although mostly I give credit to people who come up with new ideas or do good art for the LP, cause I really need art for this thing.
    I plan on giving a lot of credit to whoever can come up with a damn good idea of what the Coregan should look like. All I got so far for it is that it should be adorable and possibly orange like magma.
    Oh and you will get credit, because why not

cooptex977 likes this.