1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

List of Useful Discoveries

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by driecg36, Dec 8, 2013.

1. driecg36

driecg36 Seal Broken

What I've discovered so far that may be useful to newer players:

When you reach the bottom of a world, it is made entirely of lava.
    Worlds are round, and some are smaller than others, not infinite or bordered.
    Apex will attack you unless you sheathe your weapon.
    You will usually find better weapons in dungeons than you can craft.
    *Armor does not drop in dungeons, you have to make it.
    There are outcasts spread amongst the world that are passive and currently serve no use (I have only found Avian and Florans)
    NPCS will not care if you dismantle their homes.
    You can make the best tier 1 armor at the loom, using only leather (Snow infantry armor). It will probably be patched soon.
    Shields are very, very powerful, and they greatly extend your survivability against all enemies until they become obsolete and need replacement.

If anyone has any other tips, post them down below. I'll add to this list as I progress through the game.

*Asterisks=unconfirmed/unsure

falkenbr likes this.
  2. WolfMimir

WolfMimir Subatomic Cosmonaut

The power dash makes exploring the planet something awfully easy, you can avoid ALOT of aliens just dashing over them,
    the dash also makes it MUCH faster at covering ground.

3. Passage

Passage Space Spelunker

Apex aren't the only ones that stop attacking when your weapon is sheathed-- I've found some Florans to do that as well. I think it keys off the area type. Village guards won't attack an unarmed visitor, for example, but enemies in a dungeon most likely will.

Some of the "outcasts," as you put it, serve as merchants of clothing and food.

There are plans to nerf the snow infantry armor. I think that's coming in this patch, but I'm not sure on the timing.

4. driecg36

driecg36 Seal Broken

I have only found an apex village that actually had guards, so I thought they were the only race that did that, but now that I think about it, there are probably WAY more kinds of villages.

Also, is there something that determines what species is predominant in your game? Thus far, I've found a lot of apex ruins, abandoned facilities, and a couple villages. I've also found a couple avian and floran outcasts that were peaceful, along with some fanatical, aggressive avians and an avian dungeon. I havent found ANYTHING Hyotl or human, and only one glitch (my current race) ruin.

Also, i called them "outcast" because one of them (an avian i think) said something like "we are both outcasts, friend," so in terms of lore, i assume the fanatical avians kicked out the peaceful ones, who escaped to random, remote planets and moons.

5. Passage

Passage Space Spelunker

I don't believe so. I think all races have an equal chance to be generated.

As for the bit about outcasts, that does sound interesting. I've heard that Avian players were essentially exiled for being atheists, so that could be where it comes from-- are you playing Avian? I don't think, say, Florans would work the same way. Apex might, though.

6. driecg36

driecg36 Seal Broken

No, i'm playing glitch, but from fanatical avians dressed in purple yelling "DIE HEATHEN SCUM," then other avians dressed in gold being dressed completely differently and living in hermitage has led me to believe that.
    I just read the wiki, and it said that I was right, the outcasts dressed in gold colors are pretty much atheists who have escaped from the fanatics.
    I havent found any apex outcasts, but they appear to be a dictatorship/police state from their villages, and they have advanced tech from their facilities.
    Florans though, the wiki says that the outcasts left the savage life of their people for something more peaceful, which explains why they didnt try to kill me, but didnt explain the hyotl skulls that they had as decorations...

More lore theories.
    The avians remind me of the egyptians with their temples and their construction style.
    The glitch appear to be steampunk hivemind robot kind of thing, but i havent many any (save for myself)
    The humans are a mystery.
    The hyotl are japanese/chinese from what the wiki says.
    The Apex are either a communist or fascist dictatorship.
    The florans are native-american esque, but more violent.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  7. driecg36

driecg36 Seal Broken

New tip:

*Armor penetration stats are more important than dmg

8. Corbald

Corbald Starship Captain

No, you're using the same universe seed as everyone else. The whole universe is identical to everyone else's. So there's not a key algorithm on a game by game basis. It's probably done star by star.

9. dionysus81

dionysus81 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

More medieval-like. I had a big glitch castle on my planet once, with nobles, knight-guards and even knights with jousting lances on horses.

10. driecg36

driecg36 Seal Broken

I just found this frog deep underground in the alpha sector. He is in some sort of temple, and he is clad in purple robes and what looks to be bones. He trades gold and silver picks along with bombs and oil lanterns.

Anyone know what this is?

11. driecg36

driecg36 Seal Broken

I just found another that sold the exact same items as him a little further down.

Also, the area is surrounded by oil lanterns and fountains, and there are also frog statues, to which my glitch says that he did not know of frog people previously.

12. Passage

Passage Space Spelunker

He's the Frog Merchant. I think that's all we know about him right now, except that he's obscenely useful because his picks are so cheap. By the time I found him on my last run, I still had a copper pick... but over 5k pixels. He's probably getting a rebalance at some point.

13. ForceablePlace

ForceablePlace Phantasmal Quasar

The "Outcasts" are random encounters, the passive guys and gals sell things like clothes, not useless :)

14. driecg36

driecg36 Seal Broken

yeah, i bought like 3 gold pickaxes, and there were two of them!
    I'm not sure he needs rebalance because his items are rather low tier and he is so rare that it just gives you a little boost at the beginning if you find him, though i do wish I could play as a frog (chrono trigger anyone?)

15. Korva

Korva Astral Cartographer

Actually all bought and found weapons are useless now. Crafted weapons have 50k+ dps

16. RizzRustbolt

RizzRustbolt Existential Complex

That's fixed now.

17. Falling Tide

Falling Tide Scruffy Nerf-Herder

have you ever used the gravity bubble?

If so then you know dash isn't that great.

18. Falling Tide

Falling Tide Scruffy Nerf-Herder

did they already fix it? That soon lol

(I know why and understand its need, but wow that was fast)

19. Korva

Korva Astral Cartographer

I just crafted new 67k dps axe 30seconds ago. How is it fixed? :D

20. driecg36

driecg36 Seal Broken

The dash has thrown me off of a cliff with no energy or into a boss enemy more than i'd like to admit, so it can be pretty dangerous if you're not careful /: