List of Announced Game Information (Retired due to release)

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Blue, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

Indeed it was. Another reason why it won't be that big of a deal, added to my post before you quoted to include that.
    Edit: None the less I'm sure there will be a mod that will eventually remove the need for repairs.

2. Filipfonky

Filipfonky Cosmic Narwhal

Didn't know that part about ammo. Thanks for the info.

Anyways, correct me if I'm wrong, but this game is focused on exploration. Space exploration, to be more precise.
    So, tell me, how am I supposed to explore if everytime my Rare Dingus breaks I have to go back to my spaceship to have it repaired?

Durability is better suited for a game about survival, where the player always stays in the range of his base to survive. But in a game of which the whole point is going as far away as possible? It simply doesn't work.

3. Your Rare Dingus would only break if you were farming for a material, not from exploring.
    And if you were farming for a material like ore, then you could use the ore that you mine to fix your Rare Dingus.

xboy777 likes this.
  4. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

It's not for you to decide what is the point of the game. The devs actually wanted to give it a survival taste, see food-meter and the 'stay warm' mechanics.
    That being said, if you want to talk about item durability open a thread or revive an existent one.

5. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

Your Rare Dingus won't break while exploring unless you perceive everything interesting enough to explore in the dirt or inside of a tree.
    And even then just take out a grenade launcher and blast your way in.

AstroBlast likes this.
  6. Filipfonky

My Rare Dingus is a weapon.
    Yeah, I should have pointed that out in the first place, mistake on my part.
    I did not start this argument, calm down.
    What?
    I honestly did not understand what you said. I am seriously baffled.

7. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

Weapons don't break. People have said this multiple times.
    My point was that only tools wear down so if you were exploring and something vital to your exploration broke it would have to be a while you were digging for resources or cutting down trees.
    Don't worry we're all equally baffled with the repetition of information as well.

AstroBlast and Mianso like this.
  8. Filipfonky

Of course weapons don't break! We were in fact discussing wether the developers should change that or not.

9. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

No we're not. If you change your mind as we discuss we won't ever see your point. :rofl:

10. Filipfonky

I think I have already stated my point about 4 posts ago. Why ya gotta take it personal?

11. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

Whom?! Red mentioned Minecraft and only stated that tools were to break, no one even mentioned weapons after that or argued the point. I've been talking about the point at which you said durability (even AWESOME durability) is only tedious and annoying. You're the only one bringing up weapons.

Thank you for stating your opinion, I just don't quite understand what you're trying to get at anymore.

12. Filipfonky

Yeah, I've noticed just now I confused weapons with tools and items. Sorry about that, but I'll have to use the excuse of being early up in the morning and a bit tired.

13. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

That's fine, happens to the best of us. :iswydt:
    With that in mind I do get what you're talking about. I still don't think it's meant to be tedious. More of a roadblock for early resource grinding.

14. Filipfonky

Yes, grinding can be dangerous and sometimes ruin the whole experience.
    A way to block it would be to block off certain areas, but let's be serious, who wants that?
    In this case, tool durability is indeed the best option. Maybe if they find a way to implement grinding in the game's nature? Something like Monster Hunter, maybe.

15. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

Huh, this discussion has got me to realize that using explosive weapons as a mining tool is actually a really good idea. That will definitely be another weapon to bring along.

xboy777 and AstroBlast like this.
  16. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

I understand your frustration or concern. The part that I'm okay with is that durability will apply to lower-tiered "common" ores. Like...iron or copper, as an example, as opposed to perhaps platinum. The reason I'm okay with it is because it does help the player want to explore more in order to actually get better stuff.

17. Eric

Eric Existential Complex

Grinding is always bad, people seem to misuse the term, grinding is doing an action repeatedly to advance in a game when natural progression fails, tool durability does not automatically add grinding as long as its able to be managed.

My opinion is, so long as they can be repaired cheaply, go for it.

18. I'm talking about how comparing how different games made the durability system work is a waste of time because every game does it differently. If you look at minecraft, it's a somewhat sloppy last-minute addition without much thinking behind it. In MMO:s it's to remove money from the game (brake the inevitable destruction of the economy). In survival horror it's to keep you on edge and looking for new weapons.

To me saying "oh minecraft's durability sucks so this one must too!" is like saying minecraft's graphics suck so starbound's graphics must equally be shitty. (to explain: Different devs. Different timespans. Different plans. Different reasons to include. Different gamedesign.)

Chaosthe, AstroBlast and WoxandWarf like this.
  19. Necrius

Necrius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Whoa, I shouldn't have mentioned this durability stuff. People got agitated.

20. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

you're all excused, we've reached a point where talking about anything slightly ambiguous and/or controversial basicly devolves into a ****fest.
    i wont name them so as to avoid triggering said ****fest, but the adepts will know what im talking about