1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

large flying monsters with rainbow attack?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Roselle, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Roselle

Roselle Pangalactic Porcupine

Hello. I have been searching planet after planet, high in each sky, for large flying monsters that have a rainbow beam ranged attack. I know I have encountered such mobs in the past, but I am not sure they exist in the current version of Starbound. Has anyone seen such a mob recently? I know the fish puke ranged attack still exists, so it makes sense to me that the rainbow one would, too.

If this large flying mob attack still exists, I wonder if anyone can tell me its name so I can play with admin monster spawning. If the attack name is unavailable, might it be possible to direct another player to a planet where large flying mobs with rainbow puke exist? Or are mobs subject to the same randomness as containers in structures?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  2. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

As far as I know, there's not such monster attack in vanilla
    But it's probably in Fackin Universe

3. WallyBW93

WallyBW93 Subatomic Cosmonaut

There is those dragon things in Glitch Castles, they usually have different attacks.

4. Roselle

Yeah, I am specifically looking for large flying monsters that have a rainbow beam. I saw them rather frequently during SB's long beta phase, but possibly only once since launch, if ever. Beginning to suspect my last sighting was actually before the game launched.

Thanks for replying, anyway~

5. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

They exist. I actually got one of them recently. The thing is, they're randomly generated and monsters of that type only appear in the upper atmosphere (they occur there on every planet. Even barren, funnily enough), so if you want to get one without spawning it in, you'll have to build pillars to space on every planet you visit and hope you get lucky.

6. Roselle

Yeah, I know they only spawn in the upper atmosphere. I've been skipping from one planet to another, towering up and aggroing each giant bugger to examine its attack. I've gotten the fish puke one so far, at least.

Thanks for the confirmation that the rainbow beam still exists, and congratulations! I was just hoping the beasties might be the same between players. Can't remember where you got the rainbow beamer, I suppose...?

7. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I play with a ton of mods, so our coordinates are probably not going to be consistent. If you want, though, I can tell you how to spawn one in. Here's a link to two basic spawnmonster commands:
    https://pastebin.com/fz82YG9Y
    Just replace the name of the largeflying monster's projectile type (blueglobe) to rainbowvomit, and it should work. You can tweak everything else about it too. This guy's videos have more info.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  8. Roselle

It is seriously called rainbowvomit? X'D I had been searching fruitlessly for this very information. Thank you so much!

edit: Wellp, I spawned in a beastie, but 'rainbowvomit' is not what I'd expected. The attack I remember from possibly as long ago as mid-beta was a solid beam like the gnome gun's. What I am seeing now is sparkly like the rainbow cape.'s particle effect. I will try to find out if the beam still exists.

9. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

It probably still exists in the code. You can spawn in monsters with any projectile type, even ones that they can't naturally have, as long as they're still in the code somewhere. I'm not sure what the name of the gnome gun's projectile is. I think it's just rainbow, now that I look at it. But that'll probably fire out only one part of the beam at a time, so you might have to adjust the firetime.

10. Roselle

Amazing. ._. TYVM. Will experiment further at some point and report my findings here~

edit: "rainbow" also gives the particle attack. Hmmm.

11. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

No clue then. If you unpack your assets (there's a topic in the mod forum in case you don't know how to) and look at the code for the gnome gun, you might be able to get it working, but I honestly don't know.

12. Roselle

Hey, thanks for the advice. I'll figure that out sometime when RL is not sapping all my focus. :rofl:

Someone actually found a rainbow-beam thing, but when I tried to capture the mob, it simply died. Confirmed after four attempts.

13. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Well, I see you eventually managed to capture it, so congrats!

Roselle likes this.
  14. Roselle

TYSM! I am glad I managed to quickly identify the likely issue causing the inability to catch that mob. Hope the info helps people.

15. Chaoticempress

Chaoticempress Space Hobo

If you're looking for the green dragon monster that spews out rainbow beams i actually found them. they're at the very top of the skies of the fiery star planets
    will upload a screenshot in a second

16. Chaoticempress

Chaoticempress Space Hobo

upload_2017-12-11_2-52-57.png

17. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

That's a random ability for a randomly generated monster, y'know