1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Kineptic Race Mod 12-22-2015

Magician Space Cats

1. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

I'm going to need a bit more information. What is 'it'? When you try to craft 'it', what happens? Does the game crash? Do you get a perfectly generic item?

In any case, I need you to reproduce the problem, go into your starbound directory (search the internet if you don't know how to find it), and copy the contents of starbound.log into a code block here. If you have any other mods installed, it'd also help if I had a list of those.

2. SiFiGeek36

SiFiGeek36 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The Acarde Shrine well not let me craft anything. It will show up and I can craft it it just doesn't show I can interact with it. Do I need to beat a boss or is it a problem with my game?

3. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

I'm not sure. Without a log file, I don't know what's going on. Did you point at the shrine and press e?

I need a log file. Without it, I can't troubleshoot.

4. SiFiGeek36

SiFiGeek36 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is the log file the text document

5. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

upload_2014-11-4_16-46-6.png

Code:
    Copy and paste the contents of what is circled in red into one of these code boxes. MAKE SURE YOU PERFORM THE ERROR AND IMMEDIATELY CLOSE THE GAME AFTERWARD BEFORE YOU DO THIS.

6. rockwayportals

rockwayportals Void-Bound Voyager

Question:

Is this for Rampaging Koala?

7. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

You mean the nightly version? No, not this one. However, I will have such a build available once I can get these settlements working properly (which should be in the next day or two).

8. rockwayportals

Awesome

9. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Isn't it, though?

upload_2014-11-14_18-23-31.png

A_Link_to_the_Stars and Icebelly like this.
  10. rockwayportals

All I can say is.... WOW

This is my new favorite Race Mod :D

Icebelly and Quilavabom like this.
  11. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

So close... can you feel the imminent update?

upload_2014-11-18_16-47-25.png

Female kineptic on the left: "Gurrrrrrl, you did NOT wear the same color as I did!"
    Female kineptic on the right: "I thought you said you were wearing Indigo!"
    Female kineptic on the left: "This is indigo, you twit!"
    Male kineptic in the middle: "I wonder what's for dinner."
    Me: "Day 47. They still think I'm a rock organ."

Seajun_, Icebelly and Intrebute like this.
  12. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Quilavabom updated Kineptic Race Mod with a new update entry:

Emergence

Read the rest of this update entry...

Icebelly likes this.
  13. 7x9000

7x9000 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So, today I was playing with this mod and Frackin' Flora. I beamed down onto a Bog planet and, not too far west from where I beamed down, I discovered a Kineptic town. The funny part was that the entire lower half of the town was submerged in water, and none of the NPCs seemed to care or try to surface. I found it really funny and set the planet down as my home.
    I just wanted to say this because I thought it was funny.

Intrebute and Quilavabom like this.
  14. Febilian

Febilian Cosmic Narwhal

Hello! I'd like to start off by saying, this is an adorable mod and I thank you for making it. I love the concept and the result.

I'm here to report something I've noticed after using the mod for a while now. I'm using the version for Enraged Koala, for the record.

After troubleshooting with installing other mods, I began to notice that the starbound.log file was throwing a bunch of errors at me regarding Kineptic recipes, but since the game didn't crash at all, I never really looked into it before.

See, after some time, I'd noticed some furniture in Kineptic settlements that are not craftable at the sculpting plinth. Today I finally decided to crack open the files and look at them and then run them through a JSON validator to see what was wrong for good measure.

The problem is simple; there is no curly bracket (by which I mean "}") at the end of a few recipe files, rendering them useless as a result!

The files in question are as follows:

Now, I'm no coding expert and have just been messing around with patching mod files sometimes for Starbound with the JSON config stuff. I don't have much experience beyond that.

That being said, after the guides I've looked at and by editing the files slightly and using a JSON validator to double check them, I'm pretty sure that the curly bracket is the solution - everything else looks fine.

Since you've actually gone and created a mod, it was probably just an honest overlooked mistake; it happens. I just thought it might help you to know that these things need to be fixed, and that even with my limited knowledge of JSON, I have been able to determine this to be the solution.

I hope you don't mind that I looked through the files of the mod to find what was wrong; I really just wanted to help. So.... hopefully this does help.

I also apologize profusely for this wall of text if someone has already brought this up and I failed to notice it in the thread. I tend to not notice things sometimes, haha....

But yeah. I really like this mod so far, and I hope to see more stuff added to it in the future! Keep it up. =)

15. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Hi Febilian; haven't seen you around for a while. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when the Avali mod discussion thread was the only avali discussion thread. Time flies, eh?

Anyway, after the release of the most recent update, I realized this problem you just described. However, in my typical fashion, I promptly forgot about it. Oopsie! Rest assured I have this little bug squashed for the next update, and you will be able to fill all your little kitty play gyms with cabinets, dressers, and mirrors to your heart's content! :3

That bug came about because, of all the recipe files I could have chosen to copy as a template, I chose the ONE with a missing }.

You don't need to worry about something already having been stated in the thread yet; posts here are pretty infrequent, and at this early stage in what I will cautiously call a "community", I appreciate all feedback I can get. The kineptic are the first thing I've ever created that so many people have enjoyed, and it always makes happy to know other people, even ones I don't even know, are enjoying what I've made and want me to continue working on it.

16. Febilian

Febilian Cosmic Narwhal

Hah, so you were around for that, eh? That certainly was a while ago, now wasn't it... =P

Anyways, good to hear it's fixed for the next one! Though I must ask, did you also edit the player.config merge file to include those newer recipes? I find that I had to add some lines to that file in a little personal patch before I was able to actually craft the items, even though the recipes were functional in their own files... heh.

I might just try to post more frequently, then. c: Seems like you could indeed use extra feedback, since no one had noticed that for almost a month!

17. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Yes, I also had to add them to the player.config file.

Extra feedback is always good, especially if they are suggestions pertaining to how I can make the sprites better. Unfortunately, spriting is a pretty scarce skill.

18. Febilian

Febilian Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah, spriting can be tough... I've done a few pixel-based edits of things before, but actual sprites aren't so easy. I remember trying to create an Avali version of a vanilla outfit at one point months ago, and then I lost interest partially because it was so difficult to figure out the format of the clothing + making it function properly. I did get one frame done, though, I think. Not that only one frame really does much.

And even with that, spriting a character's actual body is different from creating a character's clothing....

Ramblings aside, all I really have to say is "good luck". I could pay closer attention to the sprites in-game sometime to see if I have suggestions, though.

Intrebute and Quilavabom like this.
  19. rjryonnie

rjryonnie Subatomic Cosmonaut

i love how this has just so much more passion than the actual avali mod its beutiful man keep it up, also will you be going unstable?

20. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

The kineptic have become more than just a mod to me. I image this is something reminiscent of what being a parent feels like when they are proud of their child.

I am currently on unstable, but have not pushed out the current build. I have one, but it doesn't feel ready yet. A lot of the spells got taken out due to rebalancing, and I'm concerneed how people would react to them missing.
    I've also just gotten over a nasty flu that had me out off commission for a week, so that stalled me out a bit.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014