July 18th Progress - Performance!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jul 19, 2014.

1. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Nightlies were never meant to preserve characters or worlds. Only stable was.

Shaku Arai likes this.
  2. ZoraZ

ZoraZ Title Not Found

hory shet
    huge FPS boost
    on planet : nightly was around 20-30 FPS before, now it's 45-65
    I hope if this come to stable build my FPS won't be lower than 60 at all

3. LLMartins

LLMartins Void-Bound Voyager

I'm getting an error when i try to open it : (Star Exception) Could initialize input from configuration. blablablabla

----------------------------------

EDIT : Forget about it I deleted the player and universe folders, and the starboundconfig file and its working now.
    EDIT²: If this happens to you, remember to backup players and universe folders

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  4. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

there were no liquids yet. Well all I was doing was going left letting terrain generate as I go. So no. Of course I was in admin mod, as I didn't set to normal or turn it off when I did my lil' short trek across the landscape it put me on. Also had the debug and toggle thing on.... Could be anything really. Might try without debug and in normal later on... To see if there is a difference there too.

5. Atticus

Atticus Title Not Found

It works 20x better now, some really tiny lag spikes otherwise it's really good.

6. Jdekko

Jdekko Aquatic Astronaut

One word, Fantastic!

7. Midnight

Midnight Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Much better now, 60fps both in the ship and the planet.

8. Cmiller

Cmiller Void-Bound Voyager

I didn't get any speed ups at all after update. It was still at around ~30-40 FPS.

9. Harvester

Harvester Space Hobo

Yes it did the same for me. I guess the old character isn't compatible with the new build. I only had few minutes into game so wasn't big deal for me.

Could someone please help......what commands do I have to enter to get the nightly build to act like it's your first time playing game? Like the normal build.....

I've put in /spoilthefun ..... are there any others I need to do?

Thanks in advance!

10. Psycrow

Psycrow Master Chief

I'm afraid of nightly builds because of things going this way too...
    Step 1) Starting fresh in Nightly Builds
    Step 2) Backing everything up when closing the program each time
    Step 3) Stable release or new nightly build comes out that's incompatible with what you were playing the previous day
    Step 4) All your stuff is gone, even if you try to use your (now-incompatible) backup
    I'll probably wait for the stable just in case... hope it's soon!

11. Cmiller

Cmiller Void-Bound Voyager

Its not /spoilthefun, type /ruinthefun

Check this wiki page out for more commands: http://starbounder.org/Commands

12. ImmortalFear

ImmortalFear Scruffy Nerf-Herder

on my 6 year old gaming rig, i get a a steady 58-62 FPS on the ship, and stable 57-58 FPS on the starting planet.

this was tested on a completely new character, and new vanilla data.

unfortunately i couldnt do a decent test until i can figure out how to choose what nightly builds to play with... if possible.

however in comparison to the latest stable version, i would estimate a 10 to 20 FPS difference between the latest stable build and the latest nightlie build, nightlie being higher in FPS.

Note: i just want to point out to anyone thinking of this, or is confused by this, that this isnt part of any optimization or performance increase patch... at least not directly, they simply upgraded their rendering system, the performance increase was simply a (for lack of a better word(s) at this moment) nice side effect.

13. Nantes

Nantes Void-Bound Voyager

First time using the nightly, the bird attacks me over and over but I don't take a single point of damage. It's as if I was a ghost. Is this normal? http://i.imgur.com/Y5fmzKk.png

As for performance, it capped at 60 FPS before (despite vsync being set to false) and now I get 65 FPS max. So only a marginal increase for me.

14. tomtouf

tomtouf Space Spelunker

WOW ! Really, that's great. I'm playing on a mac, ever since the release on Steam, and i gotta say the game worked well, but it might have been just a little laggy...But now, i'm rendering 50+ FPS almost anytime ! that's great work man, imma keep enjoying your game for sure ! thanks a lot, keep it up ! =)

15. Cat656

Cat656 Void-Bound Voyager

To make stuff normal press enter then type "/ruinthefun" without the quotes.

Have fun with the nightly!

16. Omega_Element

Omega_Element Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@Jexel
    I asked because I already tried to delete Players, Universe, and even the entire Starbound, and fully redownloading. Are there any backups other than Starbound folder?

17. Cat656

Cat656 Void-Bound Voyager

By default in nightlys you are in some sort of god mode, where you take no damage, can craft up to 1000 even if you only have enough for one, and you do not lose crafting recourses.

To make stuff normal press enter then type "/ruinthefun" without the quotes.

Have fun with the nightly!

Edit: Looking at the pic, I realize it just wants to be your friend ;)

Nantes likes this.
  18. Zerbyte

Zerbyte Title Not Found

Update. Turned off the vsync and now get 62 fps average on planet, in the rain if that matters, while running. Basically double what I use to get of 31 fps average before.
    So very awesome!
    But I do crash randomly after a bit, both in normal mode and the OpenGL one. Error is
    std::exception: Invalid UTF-8 sequence encountered while trying to encode UTF-32 character.

Windows 7 machine, 64 bit.

19. jpmrocks

jpmrocks Phantasmal Quasar

I think my frames are about the same, if not a little better, so about 40-50. I wish I could actually play the game though, I apparently am born with the ability to craft everything ever.

20. HalcyonXIII

HalcyonXIII Big Damn Hero

Kubuntu 14.04/Linux 3.13.0-30-generic

CPU: Intel Core i3-370M Processor @2.40GHz
    RAM: 4 GiB (2x2GiB ) SODIMM DDR3
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce 310M (using Nvidia driver version 331.38)

Starbound FPS fullscreen (1366 x 768) with v-sync disabled, and zoom level set to 2.

Pre-update framerates:
    Ship 25-40 (~38)
    World Surface 6-25 (~14)
    Dungeon (Mine) 4-9 (~6)

Post-update framerates:
    Ship 54-63 (~59)
    World Surface 35-62 (~48)
    Dungeon ??-?? (~??)

I haven't yet compared the performance in dungeons as the game kept crashing as others have mentioned, possibly when approaching water with the log map overlay enabled.
    Code:
    Error: Fatal Exception Caught: std::exception: Invalid UTF-8 sequence encountered while trying to encode UTF-32 character
    The value of the "liquid_level" overlay entry just displays a '[]' character, so I'm guessing it is connected to that.

The framerate with debug/togglelogmap disabled is a little better than these results, but you can still gauge the kind of improvement the tile rendering changes have made from them. Great work ^^

Blake81 and Kawa like this.