July 15 - Everything changed when the tile rendering system attacked

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by kyren, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Bad word, bad word!

2. HellsBells

HellsBells Void-Bound Voyager

Yes, that's why I'm asking. If the game now uses the "chunk" system, for example, it can also optimize the server performance depending how they build it.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  3. The Alien Way

The Alien Way Existential Complex

This is, for me, one of the most exciting daily updates in ages :> Hard to get hyped about the other ones when you can't run at a decent framerate (I come very close, but not quite close enough..) :) Hopefully this, and future optimizations, will open the game up to a lot more potential low-end laptop customers :D WOO-WOOO!

4. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

Why would you hard the code engine? Why not design it to be modular in the first place?

5. AstralGhost

AstralGhost Pangalactic Porcupine

Speaking directly from experience with this myself.... Because it's easier.

Sometimes getting a prototype running is much more important than than worrying how fast it will run.
    You can always optimize later, and generally programmers won't worry about optimization until after they've got a working product. Optimizing from the start leads to over-thinking your projects which tends to lead to an even bigger mess than under-thinking them. You end up with really optimized code.... That doesn't even work.

HellsBells likes this.