July 15 - Everything changed when the tile rendering system attacked

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by kyren, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Supergeek

Supergeek Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I hate to be that guy, but their writer... does not impress me.

2. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I've done worse. Just ask @metadept ;)

3. Iamyew

Iamyew Big Damn Hero

[​IMG]

No but seriously... way to go! may want to change the post's title though... makes it seem like bad news at first glance.

Kawa likes this.
  4. AdenSword

AdenSword Pangalactic Porcupine

Only the Chucklefish, master of all the coding, could stop them. But when starbound needed them most. They went to parties. 5 hours passed and all the fans got pissed because chucklefish wasn't working on starbound. And although their coding and spriting skills are great, they have alot to do before they can release starbound. But I beleive, chucklefish can make starbound.

lol That was so lame of me XP

yclatious likes this.
  5. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yeah, even my rig... the one I built just this past fall with a 660GT, 6-core AMD, and 16GB of RAM gets FPS drops in Starbound, lol.

But then I didn't really complain about it; it is a Beta afterall. This sounds like this should make it run MUCH more smoothly.

Hopefully this also helps with that HUGE hitch (a total freeze for 1-1.5 seconds) when you go from the underground layer up to the surface later (when the wind rushing sound is replaced by surface music).

6. Nantes

Nantes Void-Bound Voyager

I'm glad you're doing performance improvements now rather than on Phase 3. Keep them coming!

7. HellsBells

HellsBells Void-Bound Voyager

This will impact the servers as well?

8. FPSUsername

FPSUsername Phantasmal Quasar

Will this mean that the FPS will be higher since the rendering will be faster/better?
    I lag only when I'm in dungeons, otherwise playing 30+ fps

9. Luner77

Luner77 Void-Bound Voyager

What happened to the monthly newsletter? I so enjoyed reading the short stories that filled in the lore. I also liked the mod highlight a couple of them were a lot of fun.

beari78 likes this.
  10. Cambozola

Cambozola Space Spelunker

Well done. Cant wait to try it out.

11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Servers don't draw things. Draw your own conclusion.

12. Coralus

Coralus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Late to the news, but *awesome.* My poor laptop will be able to breathe easy when this update happens. Good luck and keep it up guys!

13. Utildayael

Utildayael Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Excellent post! Question. Will this take care of the "Farm" issues? Block lag isn't generally something I've really suffered from [tho I have a fairly high-end machine] but if I have a big farm with a lot of plants... I get lag. Every time. Shuttering lag. I wasn't sure if the various tile update systems you listed also handle things like plants, mobs, etc?

Edit: @kyren here's a SS showing what sort of environment I'm talking about... its on a ship but I have the same results if I build a big farm on a planet... note the large number of plants and variations... for a test, I harvested every single plant you see here and the lag went away... replanted? it came back. Figured I'd at least try to rule out lag caused by all the other objects around. :)

Cheers!

2014-06-27_00001.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  14. Gothboy77

Gothboy77 Industrial Terraformer

I generally have a good FPS while playing Starbound, but I did notice that when mining up tiles that fall (fine sand) my FPS drops dramatically when there are large areas that fall at once. It only lags until the tiles land however, then the FPS returns to normal.

The only other real time it gets laggy is when in a dungeon/lab/prison with many NCPs

15. TrueHarlequin

TrueHarlequin Void-Bound Voyager

Well, this could also be for tile generation and not just rendering, in which it would affect the server, which is what builds the worlds we visit.

HellsBells likes this.
  16. TrueHarlequin

TrueHarlequin Void-Bound Voyager

...all we need now, is an actual release build...

17. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I have like 5 FPS when I try to run starbound.Thanks to Kyren I, HOPEFULLY, will be able to play the game normally.
    Looking forward for more optimization!

18. Kuddlefish

Kuddlefish Tentacle Wrangler

This is gonna help so much for players with grandpa comps like me! Probably the most annoying thing is waiting for tiles to load when you're at the end of a fleshed-out area.

Also, gates look awesome! Lovecraft-theme is always welcome! :whoop:

19. Sebastian Fauste

Sebastian Fauste Void-Bound Voyager

Please let this be a teaser for upcoming bender sub-races! :)

Utildayael likes this.
  20. RatixFarrence

RatixFarrence Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks for all of your endless work Kyren! It had to have happened eventually.