Dev Blog January 18th - Tech Support

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Supernorn, Jan 18, 2016.

1. ZombieJohn1974

ZombieJohn1974 Void-Bound Voyager

Ewww, the hunger system................no really, i seem to like the current buff style of things right now, seems like taking a step back to the stone age of starbound, ya know

2. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

It's a completely separate game mode labeled "Survival" that you opt into, not something in every single game mode. You don't have to play with it.

Dunto, Jonesy and Axe Garian like this.
  3. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

If its gonna look like in all rpgs im gonna die
    *Not like my Lazy one* LazyStarboundTechMenu.png

4. Santa The Kller

Santa The Kller Void-Bound Voyager

5. Aroxys

Aroxys Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Honestly, I hope that the energy cost for stuff like the Morphball gets decreased by a lot. As it stands, most of the fancier techs are almost useless because you basically need Cerulium armor to use even remotely effectively. I mean, Particle Boost is almost superior to Particle Thrust just because it doesn't suck your EN pool dry in two seconds.

That being said, we be going Metroid, eh? Hopefully we can stack techs later on. (I mean, we already have what is basically the Grapple Beam, Morph Balls, Space Jump, etc.) :p

Axe Garian likes this.
  6. steelwing

steelwing Big Damn Hero

So the implants are going (have gone) away (like the one that lets you go out in vacuum that you get on the outpost), and they're being replaced with the augmentable backpack, and techs are being revamped into this tree system. Will there be more than just the three techs with their trees, or will there be others with their own trees? And will it be possible to have multiple techs equipped at once, each with its own variant?

7. Coricus

Coricus Subatomic Cosmonaut

Nope! The only one that even seems to use energy that's in the Nightly IIRC is the Morph Ball, and it just uses one dose of 50 energy to activate and then stops sapping energy for the entire time you're curled up. Your energy bar will completely recharge before you even have the chance to unfurl in most cases.

EDIT:
    This is relevant to you too, right?

Scourger, Aroxys and Axe Garian like this.
  8. Nemo Guntoia

Nemo Guntoia Void-Bound Voyager

this is going to be AWESOME!

9. MegaDaedalus

MegaDaedalus Void-Bound Voyager

Why doesn't Metadept make the hunger like radiation in Fallout 4? If you don't eat for a few days, your maximum health starts decreasing, until eventually you die. It fits hunger really well, since you get weaker if you don't eat well, leading to inevitable death.

CaptainBroadfoot and Axe Garian like this.
  10. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

Hunger slowly depleting your maximum health would be realistic, and it'd be like a poison effect that prevents healing. I mean, it could probably be easily modded like that, but I'm not sure.

I'd be game for that kind of hunger system. Even moreso if it lowered your damage done as well, since hungry folks tend to not have much strength.

Axe Garian likes this.
  11. MegaDaedalus

MegaDaedalus Void-Bound Voyager

That is the thing, it would be like poison, it would be redundant and more so annoying, constantly getting damaged, and by a "permanent" effect nonetheless. Just popping some heal would temporarily solve the problem. Decreasing maximum health slowly would be less noticeable, but more of a punishment, since it would also lessen the effect of healing items, the player wouldn't be able to ignore it for long, if the player does, it would definitely make the player weary of everything else at lower HP levels. Also, I wouldn't call getting damaged by hunger realistic, at some point you would feel pain, but fatigue would settle in first. So, maybe it should decrease both maximum energy and health, and decrease damage to boot.

CaptainBroadfoot and Axe Garian like this.
  12. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

Fully agreed. I had this exact same problem with it. I favored an empty Tech Slot over using this Tech cause sometimes I need to carefully scoot to an edge for some reason (Especially sometimes during Building.) since there's no Minecraft-style sneaking to an edge & not falling off, & it's too damn easy to accidentally launch yourself to your doom with this Tech, thus I viewed the Tech as a liability & outright threat to my own safety rather then an asset.

For the Topic: I dig the nod to Sonic the Hedgehog in its early days. :)

I also agree that Techs that had sustain Energy Requirements were all useless cause there was no such thing as being able to sustain them long no matter what, plus I add that Rocket Jump was outright broken gimp cause most times ya couldn't get the damn thing to give ya its FULL Jump Height & it was flat out worse then Pulse Jump even though it was supposed to be an Upgrade.

Being able to use some of the more situational Techs for free would be a hell of a lot better, for example, if ya gained the Skyrail Tech, it'd 'integrate' onto your Character & ya could use Skyrails all ya want from then on. Having to spend a slot to be able to use Skyrails wasn't worth it when one could just not bother ever crafting or using them in your Building instead. IMHO Morphball was the same, i'd only equip it to explore Morphball exclusive areas of the Boss Missions & not bother with it any other time.

I haven't heard anything about the Racial Armor Set Bonuses in ages... any Status Report on it available, or has the idea been flat out scrapped?

I'm still awaiting an explanation on why the hell my beloved Axes got nerfed into the ground via the complete destruction of the existence of 2-Handed Axes... :cry:

Idea for a Tech: The "Throw Tech", a homage to the ability to throw enemies around in the old Sega Genesis Classic, "Gunstar Heroes". Function self explanatory.

Idea for a Tech: The "Cracking" Tech, a homage to one of my fav Indie Games of all time, "Iji". For any who haven't played this, "Cracking" in Iji was where your Character, Iji, reached out to something with a Computer or Nanofield Interface & unleashed your own Nanites into it (Iji has a Nanofield of her own, the first Human in this Game's Realm to ever have one.) & opened up a Mini-Game where ya had to maneuver a path with your WSAD Keys through a sort of mini-maze & reach a certain square on the opposite side in only a couple to few seconds to Hack that System. Ya had to also avoid pushing your attack into certain solid blocks that would outright kill your attack on the spot too. Stronger threats had more obstacles & a bigger 'mini-maze' to try to breach. Ya also had to level the Character's Cracking Skill to be able to even attempt Cracking on stronger enemy systems. Success could lead to good effects depending on what ya were Cracking... for example, Cracking a Door opened it & could open up a side path that enabled ya to dodge strong groups of foes, (Useful for Pacifist Runs.) or cracking a Tasen Soldier could sabotage his Rocket Launcher so next time he fired it it exploded on him instead of firing the Rocket & destroy the Rocket Launcher too. My fav thing to do but among the hardest was Cracking a Tasen Soldier mounted Shredder Vehicle & succeeding at that tricks the Shredder's Anti-Theft System into activating & killing the Soldier right off it so ya can Mount & use it! :rofl:

13. CaptainBroadfoot

CaptainBroadfoot Void-Bound Voyager

I second this. I've always thought the dash would be far better if there were a button assigned to it. Movement with the dash would be a lot less stuttery and it wouldn't accidently activate when inching up to a cliff or whatever.
    And also sometimes when fighting a monster it wont activate right, so you can't get away. I can't tell you how many times that's killed me.

All in all I really like where this tech update is going, and wall jump is like the best thing evar.

Keep up the good work!

Axe Garian likes this.
  14. Kumpel

Kumpel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

sweet, did you guys have a talk with the megaman mod people? they seem really competent, i hope they caught your team's eyes.

15. mitzSBnovakid

mitzSBnovakid Title Not Found

i'm happy.
    i can be a server-known chef.
    and make a living.
    and can start a pretty cafe.
    THANK YOOUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    edit: i missed last 3, sorry.

Axe Garian likes this.
  16. emeraldgreen72

emeraldgreen72 Phantasmal Quasar

i hope they add a version of the morph ball thats covered with spikes and goes fast to charge into enemy (sonic style)

Axe Garian likes this.
  17. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I'm pretty sure that Crystan is independent of this, especially sincd he commented earlier.

Axe Garian likes this.
  18. flibergdde

flibergdde Subatomic Cosmonaut

GIF not working for me.

19. Ishrindor

Ishrindor Cosmic Narwhal

The only thing I can say for sure is that there is no way to upgrade MM.
    Though I'd say we could see a work table or a type of machine hidden through out the system you start in.
    Cause to me this would force exploration of your home system.
    Say you can find an Upgrade device on a forest planet at or near the core of the planet, and it'll be random as to
    what it'll upgrade on the manipulator.
    Though this is just an idea I'm tossing out, but the old method was ok, I just thought it was just too boring to
    gather the manipulator parts as well as the diamonds.
    Though what would the cost be to undergo an upgrade I'm not really clear on how to go about that.
    Though what I said who liked the old method or would you like this upgrade terminal method?
    Also tossing this out cause I'd say let's explore the systems for the terminals instead of hording the upgrade parts + diamonds.

20. LegendXCarisso

LegendXCarisso Pangalactic Porcupine

If they remove Blink Teleport, I swear....
    Not even. I love the aspect of Mega Man. Besides... he can dash jump. I have to use a Vanilla Dash Tech mod to restore the functionality of the proper, and REAL Dash Tech.

...Too bad the same can't be said for Rocket Jump.