It's All Over But the Scavenging of Typewriters and Glue - The Fallout Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jonesy, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

The only 'secret' endings I've heard of are;

1. Failing to reach Vault 111 before the Great War begins.

2. Killing Shaun before before any of the faction endings.

2. hatakesans

hatakesans Subatomic Cosmonaut

The Great War seems to begin as soon as you stray off the correct path to Vault 111 as when i tried to run past the APCS in Sanctuary which were blocking the road, the nuke decided to hit early xD

Jonesy likes this.
  3. Jonesy

It'd be neat if we got to see some more pre-war life firsthand like that. Maybe through the Memory Den.

4. hatakesans

Yeah, it's a bummer considering how different the world of Fallout is to our own. For a male protagonist you could have a combat situation in Anchorage since he is a veteran after all and the female SS would have something to do with Law as she was a Law graduate.

5. Jonesy

I heard a good idea for a story DLC where you relive some moments of your past via the Memory Den, so I can definitely see that happening. As long as any Anchorage segments don't turn out to be a corridor-shooter like Operation: Anchorage. It was a nice change of scenery, but not gameplay. Plus, some non-combat segments would be very interesting. Maybe reliving how the couple first met, or one of their dates.

Corraidhín and hatakesans like this.
  6. hatakesans

That's actually pretty swell. There's a lot of potential in the Memory Den and the non-combat segments are actually an awesome idea, it would be great to see how the SS lived their lives before the war.

And before I forget, here are the Special Forces guarding The Castle in my game. They certainly look familiar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

General Nuclear and Jonesy like this.
  7. Jonesy

I must admit, I love the fact that cooking food gives you experience points. First you get it from killing an enemy, and then from making them edible.

For some reason, it also led me to think of a new song; "It's all over but the frying, and nobody's frying but me..."

On a side note, someone made a mod turning the Mysterious Stranger into the Mysterious B.I.G.

General Nuclear and Corraidhín like this.
  8. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Should totally sing that during some family dinner or FO themed convention!

and... whos that? mysterious strange? why is he a mystery?

9. Jonesy

The Mysterious Stranger will, if you choose his perk, occasionally appear in combat to finish off an enemy.

10. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Ahh, fascinating... must be really helpful with those pesky legendaries!

Btw I recently saw the ending of FO4... I was really not expecting that lol, they took a strange direction in that segment. Wonder if it was for the best too... what did you think of the ending? or rather, of certain pivotal revelation?

11. Jonesy

The actual ending itself was... varied. The gameplay leadup was good, as were the options presented to me. But the cutscene wasn't much, especially since it lacks the sort of "what happens to character / faction / settlement X" component just about every other game had.

The revelation about Shaun is handled pretty well. I was certainly pretty emotional during some of the later interactions, when he began to learn that I cared little for the Institute. I actually told him I was disappointed in him at one point, but we ultimately made amends in the final mission.

Chrillzilla and Corraidhín like this.
  12. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Dang, I imagine its quite something to take up... I merely watched the whole playthru rather than playing the game, so my own conclusions as of what I would have done would likely have been different. But I think I would have joined the institute. They are after all, just another faction trying to survive, their intentions were right, if not their means(yeah they did some pretty messed up stuff), and in full honesty I really do despise the BoS xD their continuous "I hate everything but BoS" kind of dialogue really creeps up on you after a while. What FO4 lacks is a pure robots faction!

13. Jonesy

I went with the Minutemen, since they actually make an effort to improve life for the common man, whereas the Institute would sooner use them as a test subject or replace them with a synth. I also allied the Minutemen with the Railroad, since they were also fighting for a good cause, but their lack of planning after the Institute's destruction meant they couldn't be my one and only choice. And I left the Brotherhood of Steel alive solely for their usefulness in clearing out mutants and accessing valuable technology, but definitely not for their treatment of ghouls and synths.

That said, I do respect what can happen with the Institute if you side with them as a 'good' character, so they'll likely be my next choice for a playthrough.

Corraidhín likes this.
  14. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

I find the minutemen to be reliable, if a bit flawed. They do put a real effort... *points at Garvey* Ill avoid talking to him... "settlements this, settlements that" ... I am leaning towards the railroad, if I decide to ever change my mind about the institute. Also ... you can destroy BoS? since you just said that you can let them live.

15. Jonesy

With the Minutemen ending, it depends on whether or not you're hostile to them in the end. If you aren't, they hang around. If you are, you have to take care of them. If you side with the Railroad (or progress through its questline enough), you have to destroy them. It all comes down to knowing when's a good time to stop progressing through a faction's quests in order to keep them from attacking each other.

16. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Hmm... thats actually really interesting... I would hate to see them whacking each other with clubs, while they could both be swinging them at BoS and get rid of that ludicrous blimp. I think im gonna be doing a lot of planning for my future FO4 playthru... nyeheheheh... altho... the size of Boston is a tad intimidating... I am sligntly stumped as of what direction I should take once I get started... would hate to run into a suicider with nothing but a piddly little wee pistol... any wise advice for a future... future vault dweller?

Chrillzilla likes this.
  17. Jonesy

Just remember that the furthest you get from Vault 111, the harder things get. Be progressive and thorough, so you don't get too far ahead of yourself. Also helps to invest in equipment mod perks, to keep your gear up to snuff. I'd also suggest customizing guns for different situations (long range, medium range, close range, DPS-over-damage, legendary debuff, etc.).

18. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Hmm... I was thinking about keeping the starter pistole for mid range, a good ol SxS for close range and a hunting rifle for long range. Perhaps an automatic for any possible niches... I ve heard talk about melee builds being overpowered, I think ill stay away from anything melee related. Anyways I very much appreciate the help, I think ill stop for now before the thread looks like a black and white slideshow!

19. hatakesans

Melee does have a problem though, it can be interrupted quite easy if your enemies decide to bash you or block with their melee weapon. I recommend a something that can strike fast and has good range or better yet just sneak behind them and give their shoulders some much needed acupuncture.

Corraidhín likes this.
  20. Jonesy

I was working on Somerville Place, another southern settlement, today and realized that it's becoming a fortress much like Murkwater. Here are some screenshots.

(Not sure why the lighting is so... pink. I think it's a glitch regarding Assaultron eye lasers, which cause the lighting to go pink when fired. Since I'm traveling with a robot featuring such an eye laser, they'd be the culprit.)

Somerville 1.jpg
    Somerville 2.jpg
    Somerville 3.jpg
    Somerville 4.jpg

The buildings include;
    - The original farmhouse, which still serves as the dwelling for the original family with a few modifications to make the place safer (blocked windows facing the wilderness, small entry corridor added so rogue bullets don't hit anyone inside, etc.) and more comfortable (added decoration, tidied up junk items, etc.). I recently put a general merchant stand out front, and might add a first aid station somewhere too. The farmhouse also has generators in the newly-built attic (the roof had caved in, leaving a gaping hole I covered over with a wooden foundation and another roof above that), connected to some heavy lasers on the roof. There's a small space in the roof currently blocked off, and I'm hoping to add a secret room in there.
    - The barracks (behind the artillery), holding beds for the artillery operator and the provisioner.
    - The workshop (parallel to the artillery), containing workstations for weapons, armor and power armor. Has a generator, too.
    - The scavenger's shack (down by the tree, with the three turrets on the roof), with a scavenging station as well as beds for both the scavenger and the merchant.
    - The generator shack (next to the above), which has what the name implies.
    - The robot workshop (kind of obvious) holds a robot workbench, which is so big I had to take part of the roof off and get creative in order to fit a set of stairs onto the roof. I also added a walkway to the farmhouse attic.
    - The bathroom (between the above and the farmhouse) has a toilet and bath.

Other points of interest include the guard posts manned by a robot, and a shed I built into the wall around the farm (there's not much in it but some bags of fertilizer that had been sitting around, but I might add some more junk for decoration).