Is there any NPC you (or your character) really can't stand?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Borodin, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Ambaaargh

Ambaaargh Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

There are two types of people:
    Those who begrudge Pierre for working all the time.
    And those who begrudge Marnie for never being behind the counter when they are trying to buy something. :rofl:

• T-Rex

T-Rex Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Haley would be the one but I married her so I need to suck it up :(

• Sventex

Sventex Pangalactic Porcupine

Then whom am I? I begrudge him for caring only about profits when he's not working. Does he even have a life outside of money-money-money? I'm surprised he doesn't sing "For the Love of Money" on his off hours.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
        • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I'm honestly over all the flack that Pierre gets for being devoted to running his business. I still see it as a means to provide for his family and if he's a little overzealous about it, it's likely because he just wants to make sure he can keep food on the table for his wife and child. The need to pay bills and buy groceries is a huge motivator to work longer hours, so imagine what it's like when you have a huge corporation breathing down your neck. He's fighting for his family's well-being, whatever it takes to keep his doors open. I just can't see him as a bad person for that.
          Now, could he maybe take a day or two off a week and let someone else - perhaps Sam or Abigail - run the counter for him? Sure. But then it comes down to coding and extra work for CA. The limitations of what can/will be worked into the game are what's really to blame here.
          Just my opinion.

Ipielle, Hadvar23, Yaushibee and 3 others like this.
          • Sventex

If memory serves me right, Pierre brags at the Feast of the Winterstar about how much profit he made because of the holiday, and is thinking up a scheme to invent more holidays so he can make more money. I was reminded of the villain in Santa Claus: The Movie, whom tried to invent "Christmas 2".

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
            • LuthienNightwolf

I understand my opinion is not a popular one, and you guys totally don't have to agree. I just view it differently. If he's happy to make lots of money, good for him - it helps feed his family. It's kinda like someone being excited that they'd get more hours at work or a raise, imo.

Borodin likes this.
              • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Off topic for just a moment, but I rather wish CA would give us a fluff touch by showing select villagers actually seeding, watering, and harvesting their own land on occasion. Maybe off in a large community garden, at least, with separate plots. After all, quite a few people buy from Pierre, or must, since he is in business (even with Jojo's available), so there must be some physical gardens about. I know it's not a realistic game by any means. Still.

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
                • 4leaf clover

4leaf clover Tentacle Wrangler

I see how the conversation just got from "Who do you hate the most?" to the fight between the two corporations, so I'll try to redirect it saying that at first Haley made me mad each time we talked and I genuinely didn't wanted to give her gifts because I thought she was just mean and didn't deserved my gifts. @~@ Also, Shane. He was r00d and ignored him a quite long time. Hey, but guess who married him after all. I mean, those blue chickens are amazing. So kewl...

• Ambaaargh

Ambaaargh Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I am generally with Luthien in that I sometimes feel I'm one of the few folks who actually doesn't mind and perhaps even likes Pierre to an extent, so I won't muddle up this thread with my warblings. Not to mention that at the start it was asked for us to keep it all good spirited and try to resist falling into debates since a subject of "which person you dislike the most" will likely mean someone is going to post opinions that don't meet eye to eye. And that's fine! There's been a few posts folks made where I disagree with but also, that's their perceptions and their opinions.

My prior comment was meant completely as a joke because of all the times there are threads of folks shaking their fist at Marnie's haphazard schedule. So it seemed like a funny riff in that "you can have a consistent schedule or a likable personality...or I guess both and have folks constantly disappointed you are married with two kids instead of being a marriage candidate. :p" cause now that I slept I just remembered Robin exists. :rofl:

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

You can catch Lewis generally doing so with his small garden every once in a while. Its funny seeing how he grows mushrooms and other random plants.

Borodin and sunlite like this.
                      • Hadvar23

Hadvar23 Void-Bound Voyager

Yes this is a point. I mentioned "bad" because in history small town were relucant to bigger shop. Its took time for them. Why Pierre go to violence to Morris ? In Jojamart everything is more expensive and you can't sell things to them. Pierre do not care about his familly. Two sides of a coin. I prefer community over cold business. In the game joja is everywhere in every town they make work theirs employees till they become depressive or even dead. It can be good too... Shane is an example to Joja. And Sam, he doesn't care too much about his job.

• Sventex

If I had access to a seedmaker at the start of the game, I could cut out Pierre's and Joja and run an entirely self-reliant farm using wild seeds. Wouldn't that be nice?

• Yaushibee

Yaushibee Subatomic Cosmonaut

This is a cute idea and also brings up the question about who exactly is keeping them in business. Like there has GOT to be some other farmers in the valley that goes to Pierre's or Joja's for seeds (and Marnie's for hay). I can't imagine that in the whole county area that there are no other farms besides your own. The time in between when your grandfather ran the farm and you do would have put them out of business long ago and really have starved the area agriculturally otherwise. So, along with the original townspeople doing some gardening from time to time, I would love to see the odd random farmer or rancher around town coming to pick up supplies or sell their products. Maybe they could participate in the grange display at the fair from time to time and give us a run for our money. And even if you couldn't build relationships with them, it would make the town seem less dead/secluded and maybe bring in some exclusive crops or items that only they produce...

Back on topic though, besides Alex, I sometimes find Linus a bit annoying too. He acts like no one in the town would accept him but its far from the truth I feel, which he would know if he actually tried to interact with them (and stop making a mess of their trashcans). I have nothing against him otherwise. I just wish he'd try to befriend someone before he goes complaining about the entire town supposedly not wanting him around.

• Sventex

I always wondered where Pierre got that produce for his grange display during the fair. Did he buy the crops I put in the bin to use against me in the fair? Is he buying from other farmers? Did he grow it all himself? I thought it was a little curious that he got to compete with a grange display if he didn't actually produce any of it himself. Wait...Pierre doesn't actually sell vegetables. Where's this town getting it's food? The Saloon?
                              Why is Pierre's grange display full of vegetables when he sells seeds- oh nevermind.

Fun Idea: A rival farmer that gets one of the random riverland-mountain-forest maps that you have to compete against!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
                                Yaushibee likes this.
                              • blind3rdeye

blind3rdeye Big Damn Hero

Pierre does sell vegetables, but not to the player character. Gus comes in to buy supplies for the Saloon.

• Sventex

Yeah, I just noticed he's got that box of potatoes in his store I'm not allowed to buy. And some other color thingys in boxes that might be produce.

• LuthienNightwolf

Caroline will sometimes send you crops in the mail and say they're from the little garden out back, so I think maybe she grows the stuff Pierre puts in the grange display.

Yaushibee likes this.
                                    • Yaushibee

I seem to recall some mention by Pierre that he had a garden of his own in back as well. Whether its Caroline or him that actually grows it, they do produce some crops they sell. I still like to think they get some of their stock from other farms in the area though because where else would that sugar, flour, and oil come from? They might have room for a garden out back but not a mill, certainly.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
                                      • Sventex

I was thinking Pierre just buys stuff like sugar and oil and have it shipped over. The climate in Stardew Valley must not favor sugar beets when the profits margins for converting them into sugar is so poor. A gold star beet gains no value when converted into 3 bags of sugar. So eh. General stores probably ship in plenty of products and use the bulk discount to make a profit.

• Yaushibee

This is also a major possibility.. still, I like to dream haha.

I think it would be a neat feature if eventually Pierre got some stock of things that can't be grown in the Valley's climate. We already have some of that from the desert but there is plenty of other crops that could be introduced this way (such as bananas, avocado, sugarcane) for recipe purposes.