Interface suggestions

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Darxim, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Darxim

Darxim Tentacle Wrangler

I'm sorry if any of these have been suggested before, but I couldn't find them amidst the sea of content requests. None of my suggestions are for content. Also, if there's anything I can currently do to achieve anything on this list in my game (besides the Do Not Eat mod), please let me know. Bolded text is just there to make it easier to find something specific in the list. Also note that I play the game exclusively with a gamepad.

1. Option to change the button for eating to "Use Tool" (it's currently "Check/Do Action"). Enabling this option would prevent the accidental eating of many things, would make loading up preserves jars and kegs much more fluid, and also make activating things while a consumable is selected significantly more reliable. It also just makes sense that Use Tool would be the button for eating since it's the button for activating just about every other selected item from my toolbar. This is probably the most important suggestion on my list, as it's the only thing that has annoyed me enough for me to yell at the game. This is especially important in 1.3 since hitting down on the D-Pad will move the cursor to "No", but then my character eats it anyway.

2. Expand the activation area for tree transparency. Currently, you have to be standing behind the sprite of the tree for it to turn transparent, which cannot be done if there are objects behind the tree. The problem is, you can't see those objects because the tree's in the way, so not only did you not know there was an obstacle there until you ran into it, but you also don't know which tool to use to get rid of it. Outside of the farm this isn't much of an issue, but when you're trying to get through the woods in the farm, it's really annoying. My character would be able to see what's behind the tree, so I should be able to. The area that triggers the transparency should at least be 1 square around the tree. 2 might be better, but you'd have to try it and see if it's not too much. Maybe 1.5.

3. Remember the last mouse position. I play with a gamepad, and I constantly have to move the mouse cursor to the bottom-right corner because just about anything I do resets the mouse position to somewhere near the middle. Fortunately I can do that with the right analog stick, but it's annoying that I have to keep doing it every couple minutes. It should just stay where I put it, whether I open a menu, move to another zone, or whatever else resets it.

4. Add an option to have the energy number permanently displayed if less than maximum. Maybe health, too, but I haven't really found a need to know that number. The reason I keep the mouse cursor in the bottom-right corner as opposed to any other corner is so that the number will display. If the program can remember the last mouse position, that fulfills this request well enough (I need to keep the cursor off the screen anyway), but otherwise, an option to have it showing all the time would be good. It's really helpful when you're getting into that red zone or trying to figure out how many plants you can maintain.

5. Slow down the mouse cursor for gamepads when placing artifacts. That thing goes so fast. Normally when I'm controlling the mouse cursor with the right analog stick, it moves at a good pace. But when I'm at the museum trying to place an artifact (which uses the left stick to control the mouse cursor for some reason), it seems to move about twice as fast, and achieves full speed (or near-full speed) when the analog stick is only halfway out, which makes it very difficult to place artifacts. A better suggestion, although it would take more work to implement, is to make it so I'm just selecting the square the same way I would select a square in my inventory. There may be multiple tables here, but it's still a grid layout, so that would still work just fine. An alternative would be to just have a button that places the artifact in a random available spot so I don't have to deal with it at all.

6. Remember my settings from last game. If I start a new game, I currently have to change all the options again from defaults. This includes zoom level, lighting quality, controller rumble, lock toolbar, etc. I'd rather it just use the same settings I used last game. Changing the zoom level and lighting quality is annoying because it moves back to the top of the menu each tick, and I have to scroll back down to where I was. I can understand why that happens, so I'm not asking to change that (although that would be good, too), but if it just remembered my settings from last game, it wouldn't matter, anyway (after the first time).

7. Have a different sound play when the cat jumps. It's currently the same sound that lets you know when a machine or something finishes producing, so I keep checking my outdoor machines whenever the cat jumps. Just, any sound that doesn't already serve a practical purpose would be good. Or no sound. Cats are usually pretty quiet when they jump. It's all the things they knock over that make noise.

8. Make it so Scarecrows don't talk to you with the "Use Tool" button. Or the "Check/Do Action" button. It's pretty annoying when I'm trying to do just about anything within a square of a scarecrow and they just keep telling me how many crows they've scared off. I really don't need to know that. Maybe make an option to just turn off their dialogue activation completely? That'd be cool. I'm surprised there's not a mod for this. At the very least, they shouldn't activate on both "Use Tool" and "Check/Do Action". Really, nothing should do the same thing on both buttons.

9. Do not prevent the Scythe from being used via the "Use Tool" button when faced with harvestable Kale, Wheat, Amaranth, or anything else you harvest with a Scythe. Currently, it forces you to hit "Check/Do Action" when you're close enough, which means that you have to keep switching between the two buttons when harvesting these crops because only one of the buttons works for it at any given time. While it makes sense that "Check/Do Action" would not activate the Scythe when I'm not close enough, it doesn't make sense that "Use Tool" is suddenly disabled unless I move a bit further away.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
      Nyarl likes this.
    • Nyarl

Nyarl Intergalactic Tourist

Make in options setting the image size on the TV. sometimes something escapes from the TV, for example a skull in a mine. I only see her piece.

• Darxim

Darxim Tentacle Wrangler

10. Sort the recipes in the kitchen, showing ones you have first, then the ones you don't. That way it's easier to look at the recipes you don't currently have the ingredients for to see what you need to make them and what food they make.

11. When picking up items when I have a full inventory, allow me to change tabs. If I pick up a ring or boots, and I don't have any currently equipped, it would make sense to just put it on rather than drop something from my inventory first.

12. There should be a sound when you try to pick up something while your inventory is full. Like, not passively picking up stuff on the ground, but when you hit the Check/Do Action button to pick it up but your inventory is full. A sound would be helpful there, especially since the "Inventory Full" message doesn't always appear.

13. Checking an animal's status should be at the bottom of the "Check/Do Action" priority list. It's currently at the top, so if there's an animal near you, you can't do anything other than check its status. You'll even check its status if you're not facing it. Also maybe make it so that the Use Tool button doesn't check an animal's status.

14. Add a confirmation to giving gifts to people. Sometimes you're just trying to talk to them, but instead give them something because a giftable item was selected in your inventory and you didn't realize it. Alternately (or in addition), make it so only the Use Tool button gives a gift, since people use Check/Do Action for talking. That might be better since Use Tool is the button you'd expect would cause an interaction with your action bar selection.

15. Add a short cooldown to the Check/Do Action button. This might prevent dialogue from disappearing before it finishes popping up, and the "You've already given a gift today" messages when successfully giving a gift the first time that day.

16. Add a cooldown to checking something, so that it doesn't happen again immediately after checking it. Examples would be checking an animal's status, or checking whether you can break a log or giant stone on your farm (I'm not trying to check it! I'm trying to do something else!).

17. If you drop an item on the ground, have a cooldown before you automatically pick it up again. Currently, you immediately pick the item back up, before you can even get out of the menu. This makes it hard to drop an item to pick up another item temporarily (such as a Stardrop, which is consumed upon receipt so I don't know why I even need an open inventory slot for it), or to give another player a stack of items. This would also help when you're trying to get a tool upgraded but your inventory is full, because for some reason you can't give Clint your tool if your inventory is full, even though you're removing an item from your inventory, not adding one.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018