1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting New Screenshot from Tiy

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Bonabopn, Feb 24, 2015.

1. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

I bet the last slot is a bunny. The Avians have some weird relationship with them, and before Upbeat Giraffe, they were all over the desert.

Edit: It's probably actually a tentacle cyclops bunny.

2. tete30000

tete30000 Void-Bound Voyager

The eighth race is the eye of the tentacle monster, we see the kind of "god" pushing them away after they destroyed planets, and on the outpost gate their symbol got removed. Not a playable race at all, but villains ? Maybe.
    And look, there's 6 hole on the door, and we see the "god" giving a "crystal" (or whatever it is) to each race ! :3

I think the bad tentacle-eyed monster got sealed behind this gate, or something like that ^w^

Edit: If you got some flying tech you can see that's not only a hand huh, it's a statue with a "mask" this is the "god" I'm talking about.

Sonic1750 likes this.
  3. Deathedge736

Deathedge736 Giant Laser Beams

you do know that the eye was removed on a development level and not a story/canon one right? that eye on the gate never even made it to unstable let alone stable. I dont know if it even made it to nightly. now chuckle fish may have been hinting at somthing. but they could have easily just decided that the gate looked better without it.

the eye on the gate tells us nothing man.

4. Ferrettomato

Ferrettomato Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Weren't they? Where did you get that information from? And also, if they weren't around, why are they listed on the gate? Their late addition after some unconceived ninth race was removed seems a bit far-fetched (I'm assuming there were always 8 slots).[DOUBLEPOST=1428248252][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Bunnies are simply symbols in Avian culture that are used to represent an Avian who has been shamed.

It could be that they changed that, but I feel like CF wouldn't have planted such a big idea in our heads and then decided to scrap it completely. They would have thought long and hard about whether or not to show us the gate with the eye.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  5. OuttaThinAir

OuttaThinAir Big Damn Hero

Oh. Sorry. Didn't know that. That leaves it up to even more questions.

6. StarBorn The Cowboy

StarBorn The Cowboy Orbital Explorer

This totally reminds me of Borderlands. They open the vault to get... A massive tentacle monster with a giant eye.
    As I was reading about this I couldn't get Borderlands out of my head. And is it just me, or does the humanoid that is see pushing the tentacle monster into the black hole look kinda like Zer0. Just thinking out loud here.

7. Sonic1750

Sonic1750 Yeah, You!

It's the stacue behind the gate is what's behind that gate. In fact the thing that's behind that gate is same thing that destroyed the home planets of different races. So it's a giant space squid

#youtube swag[DOUBLEPOST=1430542255][/DOUBLEPOST]
    The 8th playable race is puniguin

#Starbound swag[DOUBLEPOST=1430542385][/DOUBLEPOST]
    #epic fail

It's a giant space squid

#youtube swag[DOUBLEPOST=1430542494][/DOUBLEPOST]
    It's the middle of the giant space squid

#youtube swag[DOUBLEPOST=1430542829][/DOUBLEPOST]
    There is no new playable race coming soon because that is the creature that destroyed the planets[DOUBLEPOST=1430543105][/DOUBLEPOST]
    #EPIC FAIL
    #LOL[DOUBLEPOST=1430543256][/DOUBLEPOST]
    (Looks at likes) "WHAT?!?!?!?!"[DOUBLEPOST=1430543391][/DOUBLEPOST]
    #( shouts in a heavy's voice ) NO!!!!!

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  8. Lycos Hayes

Lycos Hayes Void-Bound Voyager

Hey, has anyone found the secret temple room in the Erchius Mining Facility? there's a message written in there with the same symbols as the ones on the gate in the Ark. "IT?ILLRET?RN". With the way the top row is, I believe the message to read "IT WILL RETURN"

This means we can now add two more letters to the known alphabet of this ancient race. From transcribing that me and my mate did, we are only missing letters F, G, J, Q, V, and Z
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Note: You need to find two hidden switches in the dungeon in order to open this door.
    [​IMG]

9. fiscure1

fiscure1 Void-Bound Voyager

All of this stuff about 8th races and tentacles got me thinking. The one thing/game that relates most of what you guys were saying is Mass Effect. (I know, I hated the storyline too) But you can't deny it. The tentacle monster (the beast) went round destroying planets as did the Reapers from the Mass effect. The ancient depiction of the masked figure holding back the Beast is similar to the Prothean race in it which they were able to hold back the Reapers for a time as well as the Mining facility (I think) stating "It will return" as did the Reapers. And finally only one character/team were able to destroy the Reapers as with this being only YOU, the player being able to stop it.

Or the gate points to the 'human evolution theory'. As the theory states humans rose above their ape inferiors and became somewhat more sentient than the apes around them. This could be the same with the Beast/Tentacle creature and the 8th race. The 8th race could of rose above their surroundings and became sentient (possibly building the gates) and the rest of the underdeveloped species to become more primal and monstrous. This would lead to the rise of the tentacles and the destruction of Earth. A good example is Planet of the Apes where the monkeys/apes overthrow the humans and lead to the humans dying out. this too could have happened to the 8th race.
    (Just a theory)

10. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Yup.. found, decoded, and added to cipher key over a month ago now:
    There's been a new post about it pretty much every other day here or on reddit, so I've been linking those a lot..

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  11. DomoRaider

DomoRaider Master Chief

This just made Starbound more mysterious and made me more adventurous. I'm sure someone would figure out how to get the six keys.
    I was wondering what the Ark could be and what it does. Exploring through the internet, I found that the gate-like looking in the middle opens a blackhole that maybe releases a huge evil tentacle creature that could destroy the universe. This reminds me of Green Lantern xD But seriously, this is history. We are going to make history.

12. Lycos Hayes

Lycos Hayes Void-Bound Voyager

I find it funny how it says you need targeted blink or morph ball to get there. yet I've not found either tech in game yet and still got in using a bit of physics breaking involving the energy dash tech.

13. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Yea, that's a pretty well known bug. I didn't put it on there since it will probably be fixed at some point.

But I guess it may not be a bug or not be fixed for quite a while.. so sure, I added that for completeness.

14. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

15. River King

River King Big Damn Hero

Playable tenticals? What is this hent... Jibberish! >~<

Never likes this.
  16. Deathedge736

Deathedge736 Giant Laser Beams

that is ugly as sin. the art is fine but i dont think there is any way for that to be okay with me.

17. Locklave

Locklave Phantasmal Quasar

This 100 times yes. I hate to bring it up because of the let down, but... Like in Spore, the galaxy map or a full 3d thing.

18. Gevouden

Gevouden Big Damn Hero

The translations are all wrong . The Ark is a restaurant and thats the drive through. Thats just a menu for Tentacle Burger written in an alien language . The plaque at the mining facility has the correct traslation , though its just an advertisement for Tentacle Burger.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  19. Matanui3

Matanui3 Phantasmal Quasar

I feel like this can describe a LOT of video game plots on some level, though.

20. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

This is so goofy that I want it to be the plot.