Modding Discussion Installing Mod (non steam version.)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by UnluckyPenguin, Apr 2, 2016.

1. UnluckyPenguin

UnluckyPenguin Intergalactic Tourist

Hi,

I wanted to install a mod that allows you to be a penguin as a race and I tried looking up a guide to install a mod on the game however all the guides are all steam oriented. I bought the game off the Starbound website and it appears to be missing the "Mods" file that every guide refers to. I have checked every file that was extracted when I installed the game.

Please help.

2. Errors4l

Errors4l Spaceman Spiff

Huh, I didn't even know Starbound was officially sold elsewhere than Steam. Learn something new every day I guess.

The process of installing mods is the same with or without Steam. The guide (unless outdated), should still work fine. All you have to do is find the location Starbound was installed in, instead of having Steam open that folder for you.
    In <wherever>/Starbound/giraffe_storage/, there should be a folder 'mods'. If it doesn't exist, make it yourself. You can install mods by putting them in this folder, and it should work fine.

3. UnluckyPenguin

I tried doing just as you said and the mod still didn't work. I tried it with the Avali character mod to see if It was the mod. is there something im missing???

4. Errors4l

Errors4l Spaceman Spiff

I don't know. You'll have to give more information on what you've done for people to be able to help.
    Posting the starbound.log located in /Starbound/giraffe_storage/ usually helps a lot.

5. UnluckyPenguin

figured it out. 1. just create the mod folder (duh...stupid me) 2. Outdated character mod

6. Mishiro

Mishiro Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This isn't entirely the problem though, since it's the non steam version of starbound itself
    I downloaded a cracked version of it from igg games and of course the folder "Mods" was still there
    I already installed xbawks (a mod where you have more space to install the custom races successfully)
    Not sure if i should be making a discussion about a non steam starbound version since there seems to be one already
    the game ver is 1.3.2 and i'm also full aware of the outdated custom race mods, i downloaded a custom race "neko race"
    and wanted to know if there's anything i can do to get it added in character creation, i know what's a pak file but
    i don't know what's a modpak. what does it mean besides of a pak and where should i add it in,
    should i add it in mods or elsewhere in storage or even make a folder in mods to add it in as well.

( It's very confusing to be honest forgive me if all of that doesn't make sense... =^^;= )

7. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Step 1. Buy the game. No one will help you otherwise since you have admitted to pirating it.

projectmayhem likes this.
  8. Mishiro

My family is poor and i can't afford to buy games on steam just because i don't even know how to, or just buy it from some random gamestore
    weather or not if they have it, i only asked "what does a modpak mean besides of a pak" and i wanted to know where to put it in like which folder
    or should i even make a new one to put it in with in mods, or just put it in mods instead without a new folder to add it in with,
    if you are so certain that no one will help me otherwise since i admitted what you have mentioned about "Pirating it"
    if you wanna reply to me and also answer my question then. Don't give me the first step that involves with buying any game besides starbound,
    I've had much problems to deal with, besides saving money or learning how to purchase it one way or another.

Do i have to remind you that it's a non steam version topic of the game (or conversation) since you went to this topic and replied to me,
    telling me about step 1 Buying the game, your reply isn't helpful and the rest can't afford to buy games including starbound
    just because they don't know how to, or just don't have enough money (either adults or teens) you also avoided
    answering my question. you aren't like the rest that's poor and i only manage to get a cracked version of it
    and i just asked a question about a modpak that's different from a pak that i wanna know the difference
    but you weren't even getting straight to the point when others can't afford buying it unless you don't have any pity for poor gamers at all

You are a disappointment and a fool to even reply and if i mistake you for even saying that you realized that you're replying to me
    in a non steam cracked starbound version topic which involves with installing mods but didn't get straight to the point of answering my question
    then i apologize for saying something unreasonable earlier or whatever that question was about a "modpak"

DDR3_gtx likes this.
  9. lazarus78

You have mentioned that you pirated the game. AKA, you admitted to breaking the law. You will be hard pressed to find anyone willing to help you even if the question is about modpaks or not. "Non steam" refers to the GOG version of the game, as that us the only other legitimate way to get the game other than steam.

10. Mishiro

Fine i'll try to keep that in mind and buy it if i can

11. CwasCard

CwasCard Void-Bound Voyager

I got the game off steam, and there's a SLime race I put in manually. Where do you get the character extender from the forums?

12. lazarus78

13. Enderman2775

Enderman2775 Void-Bound Voyager

I'm with you, I myself have pirated the game and have done numerous things and tested multiple theories to make some mods work. Alas, it doesn't appear to. Well, not for me anyway. For my friend (also pirated) we created a separate mod folder in the mods folder already there and somehow that triggered his to work.

14. Wolf478

Wolf478 Void-Bound Voyager

What I've found is that the legal copy has a 'subscribe' button in the mods option in-game, but on the cracked version, the button is missing. This button is basically what enables the mod, so if it's not there, you can't use it.

15. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

uhhh...... don't do crime, and
    don't necropost

lazarus78 likes this.
  16. Mishiro

It's funny that i haven't posted anything in here awhile back and i've forgotten what i've even stated about piracy around that time of year
    I'm just gonna be honest with you, just because it's illegal doesn't mean you can just assume it's a crime weather or not this piracy crap is just an excuse for most people like you who've bought the game and thought the others weren't able to buy it from steam (especially starbound) though you thought it'd be reasonable enough to assume it is a crime and have someone pressed charges for pirating a game or let's say that i wasn't the one who "pirated" it in fact i downloaded it off from the person who pirated in the first place that didn't mind giving us the opportunity to play them in the first place before we could even buy them (in other words support them i s'pose) when we have the money to afford it

I mean, does it look like i give a damn about it though? no i mean it's like worse than comparing to customer services when you're just abided to the one rule that would've made sense otherwise, so you can't be bothered to help someone just because it's illegal either way weather or not have i (or someone else) just downloaded off from the person who "pirated" it in the first place or you'd assume that i've pirated starbound only because i mentioned that i downloaded it off from some site that someone uploaded the game for us and then you'd just assumed that i pirated the game anyway

All i did was ask a simple question though you can't be bothered to help someone just because it's "illegal" for someone who hasn't bought the game and even make it sound reasonable when it's just full for bs, spare me the details i'm already well aware of the law and i haven't "broke" the law at all, so you should be saying that to those who've decided to go out of their way to upload them for us

Anyway it's now 2021 and there's no reason for us to continue this crap anyway, i've already had my "piece" so if you have something else to say, just don't bother, i wouldn't be surprised if you were still there to see this at all if it even occurred to me