Innate abilities for different weapon types

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Litagano Motscoud, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

We have the broadsword, shortsword, axe, and hammer. Forgive me if I'm forgetting some.

I think these weapon types should have special effects depending on the type. Here are some suggestions:

Broadsword: Has a chance to inflict bleeding on the target, causing damage over time and making them move slightly slower.

Shortsword: Has a chance to attack the target twice instead of once. Maybe having deflecting a hit with a shield while you have a shortsword in the other hand can also trigger a chance to counterattack automatically?

Axe: Very high knockback, highest out of all weapon types, and maybe the only weapon with a chance to crit the enemy? I know some people don't like crit systems in games, so maybe that shouldn't be in.

Hammer: Targets hit on the ground have a chance to become stunned, and move much slower than a bleeding target. Targets hit in the air are flung down into the ground, inflicting additional damage on impact with the ground, and giving a chance to immobilize the target for a short while.

What do you think?

n1t3n likes this.
  2. n1t3n

n1t3n Big Damn Hero

I like this. And this could easily add personality, choices of gameplay and style. Necro'd, may be, but hell of a zombie. Special attacks have been showed since.

You forgot daggers, one handed axes/two handed ones (for different effects) and spears if I'm not mistaken (or if they had been added since). I intended to play with the exquisite Novakid's
    Clockwork set
    :proper: (high damage, low life, high energy - for staff use... only?) with two daggers (or dagger-buckler) as a sort of assassin. Because it looks gorgeous like that. Since I don't think that daggers will benefit from a stealthy condition, which does not disappoint me at all btw, I thought of two or three uses as you perfectly did.

Here's my proposal, simple ideas, with yours included if you wish so : (also I apologize for my quite poor english !)

Daggers : :kawaii: critical damage would be welcomed, but not necessarily, or short ones (max 10% for 25% +dmg), and with only one dagger -- for people looking for pvp in exploration games :lickitung:
    <3 After a random number of slashes with a forward movement and dual wielding, a short animation shows a ton of slashes : shredding (dps+25% for 1 or 2 seconds). Stacks with crits... or not ?

Shortsword : :confirm: ability to fence with a forward movement timed (very quick attack with a leap forward), and :confirm: to pary with a backward movement (very short duration, half the broadsword one) ; :confirm: counter-attack when immobile with a shield + perfect deflection.

Broadsword : :confirm: ability to charge a Link-y attack -- tribute to zelda, fun ; :pwease: ability to charge a vertical version of the charged Link attack (for crazies Hylotls) -- 360° attack +10% dmg (bleeding/slowing effect ?). I love broadswords. I love to deflect things with them. I'm okay with that. :confirm: Leap attack.

One-handed axes : :confirm: 5% bleeding/slowing + :confirm: 5% disarming (they could be quite powerful and attractive with that... rolling a Dice20 looks pretty powerful here).

Two-handed axes : :confirm: 9% bleeding/slowing + :confirm: 1% disarming ; knockback, I agree. <3 720° attack with the right combination of movements.

Spears : :confirm: with the good timing, with a forward movement, we could be able to increase a bit the reach of the spear attack (30% may be). :confirm: A wall of spear attacks lasting 2 seconds (the same as daggers but moving backward) could prevent or break a solid guard (defensive aspect of the spear).

Hammer : :confirm: 5% stun + :confirm: charged crush (10% stun) ; :confirm:
    very, very good.

Edit : Bucklers/Shields : 1% chance of disarm, knock back or stun with a perfect timed deflection.

Melee !

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Litagano Motscoud likes this.
  3. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

Thanks :p Yeah, I wrote this a long time ago, when many of the things you mentioned weren't in the game.

4. tetsukibra

tetsukibra Void-Bound Voyager

I'd like to see more abilities for weapons unique to that weapon type and I think this is a good step forward in that direction.

n1t3n likes this.