Increase the Level Cap for All Skills

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by A_Lethargic_Giraffe, Apr 5, 2019.

1. A_Lethargic_Giraffe

A_Lethargic_Giraffe Poptop Tamer

I saw this suggestion from a post almost a year ago, I felt it was worth bringing up again, and further expanding on it. I'm in favor of an increase in the Level Cap of Stardew Valley. I have a couple ideas on how this could be implemented.

One option, would be to increase the Cap to Level 15, and allow a 3rd tier profession for each skill. This 3rd tier would offer the option to further specialize on the chosen Level 10 profession, or choose the profession you passed up on.

For example. In the Combat skill, if you chose the Fighter route and took Defender (+25 HP) at Level 10, then at Level 15, you'd have the option of either adding Brute (the Level 10 profession you passed up on,) or to further specialize in the Defender route (another +25 HP, for example.)

(I could post additional examples of profession specialization if this suggestion becomes popular enough.)

To offset any possibility the 3rd Tier skill could break the game's difficulty, require an exuberant amount of exp to reach Level 15. Currently as Stardew stands, I can max out all my skills in 1 game year. Reaching Level 15 should take at least 3 to 4 times as much exp to reach. Completely maxing all skills to 15 should take at least 2 to 3 additional game years.

Here's another option. There are enough professions now that increasing the Level Cap to 30 would allow mastery of all professions currently in-game. Once again, this could be offset by requiring a crazy amount of exp to attain.

Level caps are my pet peeve of RPGs. I feel that always having an exp goal to reach would add to the long-term replay value of Stardew Valley.

Gandalor 75 and Auggy like this.
    • Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

could be nice, but also we could get some sort of "elite buff" which is a permanent buff you can choose, based on each lvl 10 profession
      no leveling up, but working to get something extra

if your idea is to level up, then i guess 1 more profession choice after lvl 10 would do, of course NOT changing the energy management, otherwise you'd better use a mod to get more professions (this coming from someone who's gonna use cheat menu mod to add 1 or 2 more professions after maxing everything, haha)

it sounds nice, but maybe something that makes you work, only NOT like the existing professions... something new would do
      imagine fishing's 2 professions to make fish worth more, PLUS another one.... gets boring

maybe a new dungeon would also extend the gameplay, harder than skull cavern, where you'd need to use cookings for decent healing and buffs

but i wouldn't vote against this idea in general

• WhitneyFox

WhitneyFox Void-Bound Voyager

I also wouldn't mind a new skill. In another thread I suggested replacing the Joja Mart building with a Gym if you go the Community Center route. The Gym would allow you to work out to increase your strength or stamina. This wouldn't necessarily tie into fighting (though it could), but maybe stamina would allow you to stay up past 2am and strength could allow you to carry an even larger backpack.

Gandalor 75 likes this.
        • jmababa

jmababa Orbital Explorer

Yeah increase it to 20

• @ndy

@ndy Subatomic Cosmonaut

it wouldnt be bad to have higher lvls (tho you can go trought mods or that) i they still that is,
            but i would like to have a breakpoints for them something like to get to level 15/20 you would have to o some cosierably difficult quest in case you would fail you would have to gain 4 lvl again and try quest again

• A_Lethargic_Giraffe

A_Lethargic_Giraffe Poptop Tamer

Just an idea of what some of the possible Level 15 skills would look like. Wanted to post this sooner but work got in the way.

Fishing Skill
              Angler Profession
              --Level 15 Mastery: Iridium quality fish on a perfect catch. (obviously, some of these would still be impossible to attain without cheats.)
              Pirate Profession
              --Level 15 Mastery: Better chance of finding useful items and artifacts in Treasure Chests. (i.e. far fewer chests with a single 'bait.')
              Mariner Profession
              --Level 15 Mastery: Small chance to also catch fish in Crab Pots (though not any of the Legendary kind. Fish caught is subject to season and body of water.)
              Luremaster Profession
              --Level 15 Mastery: 50% chance to harvest 2 items from a crab pot. (this includes 'trash' catches.)

Farming Skill
              Agruiculturalist Profession
              --Level 15 Mastery: Crops could possibly survive up to 5 days past their natural growing season. (Compounded with 'Speed Gro' and this professions ability, this would allow for a possible 3rd harvest of the crops that take a long time to grow.)
              Artisan Profession
              --Level 15 Mastery: Items produced or aged in Kegs or Barrels take 20% less time.
              Coopmaster Profession
              --Level 15 Mastery: Coop animals produce items, even when neglected (i.e. not fed, petted, and/or kept warm during Winter.)
              Shepherd Profession
              --Level 15 Mastery: Barn animals produce items, even when neglected (i.e. not fed, petted, and/or kept warm during Winter.)

Foraging Skill
              Lumberjack Profession
              --Level 15 Mastery: Ability to also cut down the larger trees that are currently only in game for decoration. These would yield a better hardwood (possibly iridium wood?) and would take longer to regrow on their own. This unique type of wood would offer more crafting options that only a Level 15 Lumberjack could create.
              Tapper Profession
              --Level 15 Mastery: Tappers take half as long to fill.
              Botanist Profession
              --Level 15 Mastery: Forage items never spawn in impossible-to-reach places. (Botanist is already a strong profession. Couldn't think of a better improvement on it.)
              Tracker Profession
              --Level 15 Mastery: Double the chance of finding artifacts in the ground. (Artifact hunting is already tedious. Every little advantage helps.)

Mining
              Blacksmith Profession
              --Level 15 Mastery: Bars take half as long to smelt.
              Prospector Profession
              --Level 15 Mastery: 30% increase to your Pickaxe swing speed. (Yea, this was the best I could come up with for a useless profession.)
              Excavator Profession
              --Level 15 Mastery: Chance for geodes to drop double the items when cracked open (except for Prismatic Shard.)
              Gemologist Profession
              --Level 15 Mastery: If a gem appears in a pair, 15% chance a 3rd will appear as well.

Combat
              Brute
              --Level 15 Mastery: Permanent +1 increase to Attack Speed
              Defender
              --Level 15 Mastery: Small chance to evade enemy attack completely.
              Desperado
              --Level 15 Mastery: Critical hits slay invincible foes. (Would open the possibility of new ideas for ultra rare drops that only invincible foes would have.)
              Acrobat
              --Level 15 Mastery: Permanent +1 increase to Movement Speed. (once again, an attempt to improve a useless profession.)

Gandalor 75 and Kurachi84 like this.
              • Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

nice idea, except i don't like killing those decoration trees, tbh
                if you'd take away the "iridium wood" part (unless not used for anything but selling for nice money), i'd not care, since i could just ignore them