1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

In next patch commits: "Force pvp in x sector"

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Raindrac, Jan 24, 2014.

?

Do you like this change?

1. Yes, it adds some difficulty to the sector

162 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. No, especially since it's forced

196 vote(s)
    44.6%
  3. It doesn't matter for me, I only play single player

81 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. Custardsquare

Custardsquare Big Damn Hero

Just put down some propellers on any sector spawn and are we still able to place them next to peoples spawns on their own ship? can always just kill people the scummish way with objects that deal damage

2. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

This is a strangely hilarious way to grief people that might be trying to grief you. Each planet you want to go visit, just put some wooden spikes or propellers down at the spawn point. Then, don't die...

However, any players that aren't trying to kill you would be...well, they'd be trying to kill you after this.

3. Meanbeans

Meanbeans Star Wrangler

For those of us who only play Single player... I guess I'm not affected by forced PvP =)

4. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Correct. Just like 99.99alotof9s of multiplayer players. ;)

6. MyLittleBurger

MyLittleBurger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

More then likely, the human instinct to take the easy way out would raise its ugly head, and it would cause one group of take some cheap way out in killing the other group, right when they made it to some treasure.

7. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

I'd say the easy way out in this game is to beam up or log off log back on. In both cases, you're back on your ship.

8. Ibraxis Meritworthy

Ibraxis Meritworthy Subatomic Cosmonaut

No pause feature, even in single-player. Content-locking through difficult boss battles. Tiered progression based on said boss battles. And now forced PvP for multiplayer after the "low-level" zones.
    As a crafter, builder, and explorer, I really don't like where this game is going. At least we have modders to mold this into a fun game.

XaoG likes this.
  9. Zeklo

Zeklo Heliosphere

I mean Sector X is temporary... and honestly how often to you run into people in this vast universe?

10. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

I think a good way to put it is that we'll see more complaints about forced pvp than we'll see actual people unintentionally in a pvp situation.

Trucider likes this.
  11. Wishbogey

Wishbogey Void-Bound Voyager

This is defiantly a good idea, but I can see how it's broken in the way of random people with tier 10 gear coming and reaping your soul in one hit.

12. openlor

openlor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Put it this way. it encourages you to party up and survive, living the life of a space pirate, more conflict = more story, and finally, to those who talk about FREEDOM, you sir have all the freedom you need by NOT going to X sector. Good day.

13. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

I'd agree with that if you ever actually needed to, but what with the universe actually being of a comparable size to the real thing, running into people is laughable.

14. openlor

Exactly, and to run from a pvp, is so easy- more like a press of a button to beam up and leave to another planet. I absolutely don't see what to be concern about. I understand how PVP/PK reputation in most of multiplayer server, but in the end, it is only part of the game. I honestly believe this small feature will not affecting the players experience what so ever. Not to mentioned you keep your things on your person even when you died.

Jbeetle likes this.
  15. Ibraxis Meritworthy

Ibraxis Meritworthy Subatomic Cosmonaut

Then what is the point of forcing PvP? Assuming, as you imply, that this forced PvP would not enable random griefing, then the only people who would benefit are those who are specifically seeking out the challenge of fighting other players. Why can those players not just find another server? Or, more importantly, why could the developers have not provided a per-server or per-player option for PvP, instead of forcing it on everyone who dwells in the endgame content?

Some of those complaints will, like mine, be due to worries over the reason for the change, rather than the actual effects. If this were an option, or the developers had clearly stated their intentions with the feature, then it could easily be understood that they were trying to broaden the appeal of the game. Forcing something like this on everyone does not broaden the appeal of a game; it narrows it.

Minecraft has a "Peaceful" mode for a very good reason.

XaoG likes this.
  16. Syl

Syl Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It encourages me to never party with people because then I'd have to tell them where I am so they can hunt me down, drop team, and kill me. Teaming is more dangerous than randomly meeting people.

TheLoanArranger and XaoG like this.
  17. XaoG

XaoG Ketchup Robot

OH SWEET JESUS SIGNS OF INTELLIGENCE.

People ACTUALLY being smart? Is this really the Starbound forums? It looks like the Starbound forums. Did I take a wrong turn somewhere and end up in the Twilight Zone?

18. openlor

there's no friendly fire in party although you still giving them access to board your ship and brose through your storage.

19. XaoG

XaoG Ketchup Robot

:facepalm:

20. Syl

Syl Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You totally missed the point.

People who like to PVP will use teaming as a method of finding and reaching people just so they can drop team and shoot you in the face once they know where you are.

>_>
    <_<
    I have no idea what you are talking about.

XaoG likes this.