Tool Implementing TileD [WIP]

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Monijir, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Monijir

Monijir Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I feel a bit anxious that I haven't found anything on this topic yet. Surely someone has at least to get a working dungeon editor up right?

Anyhow I've been plugging away at some really ugly scripting. The first step is finished - my script can crop the proper frames ('chunk','midPlatform',etc) from .material and .mod files and move them to a directory that TileD will use for vanilla dungeons, I'm aiming for compatibility with mods that include new materials. Next is encoding the basic tilesets, and a bit more reverse engineering of the special use tiles. (I have a strange feeling some of the low GIDs are reserved). It seems like object images include a full frame of whatever they're placing but I think icons might suffice.

At the very least dungeons can now be easily viewed in Tiled (edits haven't been tested, but they only load with tiles used in the .json so I'm not expecting any problems on that front.

This has been done before right? Besides Starstructor.

WIP Screenshots:
    editorscreenshot.png
    tiledscreenshot.png

Darth_Biomech, Mackinz and The | Suit like this.
  2. Monijir

newdungeon.jpeg

Still janky, but I can edit existing dungeons with any given material. You can see the limits of my creativity above. Lots more to do, but this is encouraging.

The | Suit and Mackinz like this.
  3. Monijir

Still progressing. I think i'll be at this and posting progress for a while so I opened a new thread in the /Modding/Other/WIP. Not really experienced with forum etiquette, just seemed like the thing to do.

New thread has more screenshots, synopsis of new features, questions for interested parties.

http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/map-editor.102690/

Thanks

4. Deathawaits4

Deathawaits4 Void-Bound Voyager

Since you other thread got locked, ill replie here. The editor looks realy promising, im not that good at coding(enough to create new starbound content and some lua scripting) but i would definetly use this editor to create my custom dungeons if it is possible with the editor :)

5. Darth_Biomech

Darth_Biomech Void-Bound Voyager

I never quite get handle at dungeons, but I would assume that making wiring circuits for them would be quite troublesome. This and also procedural dungeons.

6. Monijir

Being familiar with lua gets you through 90% of this. I actually need someone to gauge the difficulty of installing the various dependencies on a windows system. (I can just write out shell commands for linux to install everything needed). It looks like I won't get by without luaJIT, image magick, image magick lua handles. luajson, and luafilesystem.

Good assumption, I had never even bothered to look up wiring back when they used the old format. Procedural dungeons I still have problems getting to work. They mostly involve sets of rules and references in a .dungeon file, and this project only extends to the .jsons (tmx definitions). I haven't got the anchoring to work, but that's probably just a .dungeon thing. They've done clever stuff with wiring. TileD lets you create polygons/lines in the object layers, and they just draw them from the output to the input. I don't know of any simply examples of it to show though, here's the apex dungeon (blue blocks some kind of logic switch).

Screenshot from 2015-11-07 18:23:35.png

Got mod support, npcs, and biome brushes working last night, but I'll be reworking what I've got to have better organized tile sets. This massive set in the corner is all the materials for vanilla plus the (awesome) Hull Plating Blocks and More mod. It even works for the custom 'macrocircuits' template. Right now I'm working on organizing the tile sets so they're not, y'know, completely random.

Screenshot from 2015-11-06 16:24:06.png
    I'll keep plugging away at this. In the meantime, does anyone know if it's okay to distribute all the textures(cropped) in a .pak? I guess if it's only readable through asset_unpacker it's not a concern that people without a copy of Starbound could use them right?

Anyhow glad there's some interest. Back to it.​

7. Monijir

I'm making slower progress now, I have a bad habit of tearing everything down and starting from scratch. I'm having some admittedly expected difficulties with object images. It's not purely cosmetic as without object images image-tiles won't load and you'd have to use a text editor to find out what any given blank rectangle represented. I've really got to find a good resource on how to handle sprites in SB; there are just so many variations in how they're arranged, I really can't make sense of it. That being said I did manage to pull 1900ish object images in place for reading the included maps. The script is terminally ugly - but at least I have something to show tonight.

Screenshot from 2015-11-10 03:47:14.png Screenshot from 2015-11-10 03:35:27.png

8. Monijir

Well I'd really like to share what I've got so far, but I'm not sure how much of it I can share. I posed the general question earlier in the thread if it would be okay to redistribute remixed vanilla content in a .pak if it was through this website, but I don't think that's the kind of question that comes up to often, so I'll just have to reach out to the devs and see. What I have for sharing is just a lump of object and material images cropped down to be view able in TileD and placed in a directory structure that works with the vanilla maps. Thanks to a recent TileD update that's really all you need to start figuring things out. Of course, I'd like to help everyone do more than just 'start figuring things out', but it's probably time to get some feedback either way. The scripts to generate this stuff would be easier to distribute, but there are several dependencies and I really only know how to set everything up on a *nix system, so just packaging the outputs is preferable for now.

While I'm looking for an answer on distribution, check out these new screenshots:

Screenshot from 2015-11-16 19:46:18.png Screenshot from 2015-11-13 22:28:32.png Screenshot from 2015-11-13 22:17:49.png Screenshot from 2015-11-13 22:32:02.png Screenshot from 2015-11-13 22:40:23.png

9. TheElderScroller

TheElderScroller Pangalactic Porcupine

Nice work already! Looking foward to use this alot. =D

Monijir likes this.
  10. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

How about making some sort of bat script that makes all the necessary changes to a users unpacked packed.pak, to avoid distribution issues entirely?

It's what healthire suggests.

Code:
    healthire> Releasing the scripts to generate the assets would be far better
    Code:
    <Mackinz92> healthire, can I bug you for a bit?
    <Mackinz92> Someone is porting Starbound assets to Tiled since you guys haven't released yours yet, and he has a question for the SB devs regarding distribution.
    <healthire> I don't know anything about that
    * Kawa makes a nose noise in amusement
    <Mackinz92> Yeah, but this is like... about distribution of game assets.
    <Mackinz92> http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/implementing-tiled-wip.102669/#post-2716226
    <Mackinz92> Not just Tiled. He basically wants to redistribute the game's packed.pak.
    <Kawa> That smells.
    <healthire> That's not really my domain and I don't really have the authority to approve anything like that anyway
    <healthire> So I can't really say
    <Mackinz92> Who would? Can you pass it onto them?
    <Kawa> A tool that takes unpacked assets and generates Tiled-usable PNGs from those in /materials would be flowery in comparison.
    <healthire> ^
    <Kawa> Also those in /objects I suppose but that's obvious.
    <Kawa> I know it can be done -- I did it myself when the Monolith first appeared.
    <Kawa> Flowery like a fuckin' spring meadow in a soft breeze.
    <Kawa> (IANAL of course)
    <Mackinz92> Can you pass it on though, healthire?
    <Kawa> I DISTINCTLY REMEMBER HAVING TO BEG HEALTHIRE FOR AN EARLIER COPY OF PACKED.PAK WHEN I FUCKED UP MY DIFFS.
    <Kawa> YOU WOULDN'T DO IT AT FIRST, REMEMBER? :D
    <healthire> I have no memory of committing any such heinous crime
    <Kawa> </caps>
    <healthire> Shame on you for accusing me of that
    <healthire> That would be downright immoral
    <Kawa> Of course you wouldn't. That's why I keep logs!
    <Kawa> Ah yes there it is. A /query from June 30, from you, linking me to a OneDrive download.
    <Kawa> <healthire> Might be the correct one. I don't know for sure, I just know I had steam running yesterday and not today.
    * Kawa smirks at healthire
    <healthire> Mackinz92, honestly I don't want to disturb anyone with whether someone can distribute our assets
    <healthire> It seems like one of those situations where it's better to ask for forgiveness than for permission, but I dunno
    <Kawa> Mackinz92: I'm pretty sure it's illegal and you already know how to make it legal.
    <healthire> Releasing the scripts to generate the assets would be far better
    <Kawa> I mean, how to make it most certainly very legal indeed.

Monijir likes this.
  11. Monijir

Wow man, thanks for checking that out for me. As far as the script goes - I know it'd be easier to release it but I just don't want end-users to have to install the dependencies. Especially mac/windows users since I couldn't even tell them HOW to install the dependencies. I'll go ahead and try to bundle as much as possible. In the meantime I'll log into the IRC channel so if anyone is willing to help with the windows side of things you can reach me there.

12. Monijir

Okay. I've got the go ahead. This is what I'm sharing ATM. I'm going to be posting any other info / updates on the version history/ discussion thread on that link. See y'all there.

13. domu452

domu452 Big Damn Hero

so, about that map editor, where can I download one?
    and how do I use it to edit and existing world?