1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

I want to play Starbound on Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by PinkCat, Jan 26, 2018.

?

Do you want to play Starbound on Nintendo Switch?

1. Really want to

78.3%
  2. Don't want to

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Uninterested

21.7%
  1. PinkCat

PinkCat Yeah, You!

I don't know if they have this idea.
    About Play Starbound on Nintendo Switch ,I sent a lot of email to ask if they'd like to transplant Starbound to Nintendo Switch。 but they ignored me at all

2. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

yep 5 FPS sounds like a reasonable perfomance wish.

it is a myth for me how nintendo fans work to accept these things to run on less specs than a todays mobile can, but guess all the mario and pokemon crap is what makes people buy "before even last gen consoles".

the switch afaik, has just a bit above 1MHZ CPU.

Edit: yeah looks its even worse with how they set it up if the things written here are right:
    https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/241332-nintendo-switchs-cpu-gpu-clock-speeds-revealed

SB needs quite a good CPU, and nintendo isn't good in CPU's.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Boshed likes this.
  3. TwistedNine

TwistedNine Lucky Number 13

Do you just post before researching?

Lol.

The switch has an octacore tegra x1 clocked at 1ghz. Now, it is an Arm processor using the bigLITTLE architecture, so it does take RISC instructions and has less registers, however; it boast significantly more power than some core duos (the minimum processor requirement for Starbound.) And has 4 gigs of RAM to play with. The chipset is more than capable and has already proven so with the adaption of the Unreal engine to the switch platform.

Starbound was originally slated to come out on the psVita, which has a fraction of the computing power. It's very possible to port Starbound to the Switch.

The real problem would be porting, as Starbound is powered by a custom engine written in C++. The engine was designed on the x86 professor platform and I don't think at the time of designing, it was thought of making the engine multiplatform friendly.

They would have to port the game over (probably starting with the linux version, as it's the closest in setup to a unix operating system) to a c++ library that will run on the weird unix os Nintendo is working with and debug like crazy. Not to mention working with the arm architecture.

The team working on Starbound isn't very big and this would involve bringing in even more people to assist.

Porting to the xbox? Not as difficult. Xbox runs modified Windows 10 and has native c++ library's. Also is running on an x86 chipset.

This fascination with bashing fellow gamers based on platforms has gotten old. It's not 2007 where the gap between consoles and PC was huge. Also, who is platform dependent anymore? I own a gaming rig, xbone, ps4 and switch. I constantly shuffle between then all. They all offer their own benefits in their own respective ways.

Wa.luigi.time and Ryani7e like this.
  4. PinkCat

PinkCat Yeah, You!

I think it's not a problem for strabound to transplant Switch
    Look at the latest Microsoft movement
    They transplanted minecraft PE to Switch, and they could also cross platform online.
    As far as they are concerned, they have also updated the 1080P patch。The world area is 3780*3780
    So I think transplantation can be transplanted, but,Optimized as well as minecraft。It's a problem
    supplement:Minecraft Bedrock Edition,Unlimited map, touch screen operation, cross platform online.(Windows 10、iOS、Android、Windows Phone、Xbox One)
    Add "aquatic update" big update and super graphics package with light and shadow.
    I Believe , Chucklefish He can do this technology as well.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  5. WASasquatch

WASasquatch Scruffy Nerf-Herder

ARM has had C/C++ compilers for over a decade. C++ is not a issue. Some wrappers would be required but nothing that any competent developer would inherently use.

The simulation is not an issue. There are games with much heavier simulations such as Skyrim with it's open world scripting. NPCs will still perform their paths even when you're on the opposite side of the map. That's why the game is so heavy despite antiquated graphics, hence the release of [official] HD graphics pack when PCs were on par with the engines demand.

The issue here really is time and money. Simple as that. They have other projects, and having the team learn a whole new architecture for one port is time consuming. I'm sure in the future, as they grow, they'll have more widely experienced developers in other fields that could accomplish this feat.