Modding Help I wanna make a hairstlyes.xnb or content patcher but dont know how to start

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Yumiio, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Yumiio

Yumiio Orbital Explorer

so ive been merging certain hair parts and trying to get them into game. i first downloaded a mod that replaced the normal stardew hairs, then i downloaded a content patcher with more different hairstyles. i want to merge the 2 things together so i looked in the content patch hairstyle file and it has the hair textures. so i assume that you should change the hair textures to get them in the game, so i did some spriting and i made the hair textures but they dont appear in the game?? So can some one help me make a content patcher for hair becuase i cant or i dont know how to make them.

• GlassLeaf

GlassLeaf Void-Bound Voyager

So what you're saying is, you downloaded a mod that expands the player's hair choices, and when you replaced the expanded hairs on the sprite sheet, they did not replace the hairstyles in the game? Is that right?

• mokkkat-chu

mokkkat-chu Void-Bound Voyager

I can't quite understand what you're trying to say, but from what I can understand, I can tell you what I did to merge two hairstyle mods.
        First, download Eemie's Cute Long Hairstlyes for CP. She's added a sprite in which you can add up hairstyles from other mods to hers(it's a .png file in the Assets folder of the mod - [CP]Cute Long Hairstyles/Assets/hairstyles.png).
        The mod I added was Coii's Hair Set Pack (but this should work for any other hair mods for CP), so I donwloaded the CP version too and went for the .png in the Assets folder of this mod ([CP]ModName/Assets/).
        Then, using Photoshop or any image editing program that allows transparency, edit the Eemie's hairstlye.png file. Select the hairstyles from the mod you want (be careful to select them all) and paste it onto Eemie's spritesheet. Then you have to align the new hairstyles to make them fit (I suck at this so it was trial and error) and save the file. (Make a copy of the original in case something bad happened).*
        Now, in Eemie's assets folder there's both an .XNB file and a.PNG file (which is the one you can edit). Open the content.json file and replace the text with this.

Code:
        {
        "Format": "1.0.0",
        "Changes": [
        {
        "Action": "Load",
        "Target": "Characters/Farmer/hairstyles.xnb",
        "FromFile": "assets/hairstyles.png"
        }
        ]
        }
        What happens is that the original content archive makes it so that the hairstlyes.xnb file from you SDV folder is replaced by the .XNB file in Eemie's folder (which you can't edit unless you have XNBNode). By replacing the "From File" to .png from .xnb, it'll replace the vanilla files with your edited spritesheet.

And that's it! I hope that wasn't too confusing orz , in any case I can send you my files so you can use them as reference. Good luck! (ps. This makes it so they'll appear on Kisekae as well, as long as other mods aren't conflicting)

*In here you could also use your own sprites, if you've made your own or tweaked other pre-existing ones. Here's a video on youtube that could help you

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
          fadedwaif likes this.
        • klmt

klmt Void-Bound Voyager

Hi Mokkkat, I know this is months later, but would you be able to send me the merged file you made? I have been trying to do exactly this, but am struggling to learn how to use all the image editing software lol.