1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Discussion I setup a Dedicated Server

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Mortalsinn, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Mortalsinn

Mortalsinn Zero Gravity Genie

I hope this is the right section....

I've setup a small VDS with two cores and 3 gigs of Ram to host Star Bound and to see what it handles like right now. Currently I've had it running for the past 8 hours with only two crashes. I don't see a way to /list or /who but I think I've had about 12 people on at once so far.

Server IP: 74.91.117.220 or starbound.world8-4.ca

One thing I did notice is that this is a massive bandwidth hog. Here are the stats for the past 8 hours

95th percentile usage this month: 1.16 Mbps [​IMG]
    GB usage this month: 6.13 GB (2.28 GB in, 3.85 GB out)

I get 2000 GB per month so that should be lots but anyone hosting a small server at home - watch your limits....

Looks like I am using about 1 gig of Ram as well so far

Anyways I'd like to try and get 30 people on at once - see how this baby handles!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. Syntax42

Syntax42 Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm seeing about 25Kbps down and 125Kbps up per player on my small server. This equates to 12GB per month per player assuming 6 hours per day.

Does that seem right? I don't have a metered connection, so I don't care, but I'm sure others might.

3. Mortalsinn

That seems about right - That's pretty heavy for some home internet connections with limits

4. Peppae

Peppae Void-Bound Voyager

Is the server shut down right now?

5. Mortalsinn

Sorry, the server is back up! I changed the address (same IP, I just added a domain name....actually same one I used to use for my Minecraft server)

starbound.world8-4.ca

6. Peppae

I cant seem to connect :/

7. Mortalsinn

Sorry, as you know the game is very beta :p The server software side of things was quite unstable and had memory leaks. I've just updated to the newest version, lets see how it runs now!

It's up!

Thank you guys for your patience :D

8. Mortalsinn

Oh and after one day my bandwidth usage..

95th percentile usage this month: 1.30 Mbps [​IMG]
    GB usage this month: 12.11 GB (6.05 GB in, 6.06 GB out

Not that bad...12 gigs per day about 360 gigs per month depending on traffic :D

9. Peppae

Tis down again xP

FormalRiceFarmr likes this.
  10. Mortalsinn

nope, its up again :D :D

It gets so laggy after 2 hours of up time and then crashes....constant reboots are needed.

11. kavex

kavex Space Penguin Leader

This should be under Server Advertisements