1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

I just realized there's no critical hit system in this game.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Litagano Motscoud, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

At least, none that I've noticed.

2. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

That would explain the static damage output.

3. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Zero Gravity Genie

And isn't it wonderful?

I mean that with no sarcasm, I find it incredibly enjoyable.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  4. RobertRevenge

RobertRevenge Pangalactic Porcupine

If one ever gets implemented, I still demand that "Smaaash!" show up on screen upon a critical hit.

5. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

Earthbound/Mother2?
    I probably would like that.

silverdragontyr likes this.
  6. Zulgaines

Zulgaines Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Our Pokemon battles aren't going to as exciting without critical hits. :(

7. dionysus81

dionysus81 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I did however notice a slightly higher damage done sometimes in a fight .. like most hits being 11 and then all of a sudden it says 12 :cautious:

8. Litagano Motscoud

Eh, I'd like a crit system.

GungHoSOB likes this.
  9. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Zero Gravity Genie

I absolutely despise everything about a critical hit system. I abhor "GG LUCK SHOT ONE HIT" systems.

ZangooseSlash likes this.
  10. Litagano Motscoud

I guess I'm just used to Terraria :p

11. RizzRustbolt

RizzRustbolt Existential Complex

I miss the "turn every raw block into refined block" mechanic, but it's early yet. So I'll be patient.

12. Zulgaines

I'd actually rather have the combat expanded in other ways besides RNG crits.

For example weapons that charge heavier hits when you hold the attack button down, or maybe combo effects such as a one handed weapon that fires tar at enemies making them weak to fire/burn damage.

13. Attribule

Attribule Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Then start realizing you're playing Starbound. Enemies already die in 3~4hits here.... Crits are just pointless. If the monsters were beefed up then I could see the point, but right now it's unnecessary. In Terraria most enemies have far more HP than in Starbound, so crits make more sense. So far there aren't even any stats aside from defense, HP and energy that can influence your character here.

14. Clisen

Clisen Astral Cartographer

You're always on the forums, do you even sleep bro?

15. Lycaon

Lycaon Big Damn Hero

I always thought this is planned for later ^^

But when I shoot with my bow, sometimes the arrow looks different, i thought this was a critical shot..?

16. Zulgaines

No the bow has a "perfect shot" mechanic. Your bow will light up for a spit second during a pull and if you release during that time you get a charged shot.

Which is the type of combat enhancers that I like.

SilentMage and nababoo like this.
  17. RobertRevenge

RobertRevenge Pangalactic Porcupine

You're in luck, Tiy is working on alternate attacks for each type of melee weapon as we speak!

18. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

Critical hits are a useless system in games, almost like respawn times. They have no place in most games, but developers feel the need to include it to blend in.
    I'm content without crits.

19. Rabblerouser

Rabblerouser Phantasmal Quasar

On the one hand, even is fair.
    On the other, life isn't even or fair.. luck is just a part of life people have to deal with.

Destroyer713 likes this.
  20. Zulgaines

That's good. Part of the fun of an unusual universe is that every time you find some odd looking new weapon you can say "Oh wow, what does it do?" instead of just "How much damage does it do?"

ZangooseSlash likes this.