1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Hull Plating Blocks & More 35.0 (Concrete Tileset)

Blocks that resemble parts from ship backgrounds, plus some other odds and ends.

1. Blastaway

Blastaway Cosmic Narwhal

I can now own the most fragile ship that GLOWS!

2. simulatoralive

simulatoralive Existential Complex

Pictures? I'd love to see it.

3. simulatoralive

4. Taiine

Taiine Pangalactic Porcupine

Welp if it'll be months before you get around to this once you get into Terraria I'll resume my own plan for decorative blocks. (been working on it, just never gotten the crafting station to freaking work until last night x.x) I wont stomp on anything you done (though the ship plating was one plan, it'll go bye bye sense you cover it) but the big plan is 4 versions of every texture. One boxy, one with slanted edges, one with slants only on bottom, and one only on top. a nice mix and match for building.

....now if I can just sort out how you learn the plans... and tie them to my crafting bench I finally got to be.. craftable and working though with nada to make.

5. simulatoralive

First off, learn how recipe files work. Or just modify one that's close enough.

You could also use a custom recipe category tag the way Terramart does. It's setup so that any recipe tagged with "terramart" is automatically listed in it's crafting interface (Terramart is a crafting station, internally speaking). The Terramart is also setup to ignore whether or not any given recipe has been learned yet. It just lists all it's tagged recipes.

Personally, I'd suggest using the Terramart as a basis for your special crafting bench. You can always swap out the art.

It's something I've been thinking of doing with this mod for a while. I just haven't gotten around to it.

As for stepping on toes...you need not worry. You can borrow parts from this mod as necessary. I only ask that if you're making new blocks, choose an open Material ID range for your mod from this page, instead of using Material IDs near the range I'm using. That way, our mods can be used together, even when I add more blocks.

BTW, the range I'm using just got wider today (I ran out of reserved space). The release I'm about to make will bump the last used ID to 42222. I'm probably going to increase my reserved space to 42300, for the sake of the future.

6. simulatoralive

simulatoralive updated Hull Plating Blocks with a new update entry:

Ore-Derived Striped Wall

Read the rest of this update entry...[DOUBLEPOST=1438081095][/DOUBLEPOST]All-right folks, this is my last release for quite some time, with the possible exception of bug fixes and really minor additions (I may have some left-over time later today).

After today, I'll be moving and once that's done I'll be playing Terraria until I get bored with it.

I'll still be checking this forum from time to time, so feel free to tell me about bugs and I'll try to fix them.

And as always, screenshots are welcome! I'd love to see what you guys are building with my blocks! Especially that extremely fragile ship Blastaway keeps talking about.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  7. Taiine

Hm... thanks for the advice. I wasn't aware the Terramart did that.
    Only thing I 'barrowed' from your mod is how the recipes worked. :p I finally got one to tie to my custom bench but yeah 'learning' everything just blah.

http://i.imgur.com/gcC0DuZ.png
    Behold the might of the STONECRAFTER.
    I started my ID's at 37000, though could change depending. If I need to mass change its not hard. Notepad++ lets you change values in many files at once.

...think the hardest part is coming up with names for most of the tiles ;P

Edit: Yeah looks like the Terramart has a flag
    "requiresBlueprint" : false,

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  8. simulatoralive

If you really do want the recipes to be learned, there's a few ways that can be done:

Blueprints can be found as treasure. There's a string of text you can add to the end of an itemname to make it a blueprint. It's "-X" where X is blueprint, recipe or something (I can't remember what it was). I only ever played around with that once. I wasn't really interested in blueprints as treasure. I wanted them to be sold in a store, but I couldn't figure out how to make that happen.

The way I'm doing so in this mod is to have the blueprints learned on pickup of the item, like the racial Hull Plating. Any one of ".matitem" files for them will show you how that's done.

The other way I've found is to have the blueprints automatically available, which is done as a patch to the player.config file.

Hope that helps.

9. Taiine

It did help. I just did a quick test and it looks like just slapping
    {
    "requiresBlueprint" : false,
    "paneLayout" : {

in the start of the config file for the crafting station makes everything flagged for that station listed right off with no need to learn. Really saves on text files. Looks like my only issue now is coming up with names for everything.

10. simulatoralive

Glad I could be of assistance.

As for names. Just be descriptive and utilitarian? That's what I've been doing.

Race-Color-Purpose seems to work well.

As an alternative, Source-Color-Purpose works well for blocks made from crafting materials rather than pixels.

11. simulatoralive

Do We Need a Cardboard Starship?

Read the rest of this update entry...

12. simulatoralive

13. simulatoralive

Racial Columns

14. simulatoralive

Money Blocks!

15. simulatoralive

I'm just finding it funny how much attention the Cardboard Sheet block is getting.

It's amazing to me that the goofy, joke blocks are the ones people like the most and comment on. I guess I should make more of them.

On another note, does anyone have any comments on the look of the Human Column block? As I mentioned in the update text for the release that included it, I personally do not like the look of it. I was thinking of changing it to either all red or all gray.

16. simulatoralive

17. Blastaway

Blastaway Cosmic Narwhal

I can now be the richest man alive...

Because I'll spend it all on a ship made of money!

18. simulatoralive

UFO Blocks (a.k.a. Dreadwing Ship Blocks)

19. simulatoralive

20. simulatoralive