How To - make your own dungeon sets

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Trook, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nubnubbud

nubnubbud Pangalactic Porcupine

have you loaded the file into starstructor? that usually visually shows you where the errors are, eg-all the brick blocks don't appear in starstructor, or something.

Shadewarp likes this.
  2. VitezKolya

VitezKolya Void-Bound Voyager

Yep, I've been using it. In fact I just copied over one of the vanilla dungeons and deleted everything I didn't want and added all the new object. I did most of this in starstructor but not most of the deleting though. I got tired of going though the menus to delete 30+ objects/tiles.

Anyway I"ve gone though the dungeon file and there isn't any thing that doesn't show up in starstructor. 38 tile/objects in starstructor and 38 in the dungeon file.

3. nubnubbud

tip from a VFX artist- Sometimes, restarting from scratch is faster and less stressful, just a little more tedious.

it's saved my race mod twice.

The | Suit likes this.
  4. VitezKolya

VitezKolya Void-Bound Voyager

I found the problem. It wasn't even in the text file. The color 255,0,220 and 255,0,219 are very different. :rofl:

Some how a few pixles of what color got into my image.

5. telles0808

telles0808 Cosmic Narwhal

Amazing tut, I loved how you did it!

I'll be trying my own dungeons soon.

A question: - How do you test your dungeon, if it's randomly created? Do you need find it first? If you make any change, you'll need search it again?

Trook likes this.
  6. nubnubbud

just add a file called planetgen.config containing
    Code:
    {
        "__merge" : [
        [ "overwrite", "dungeonWhitelist" ]
        ],
        "dungeonWhitelist" : [ "DUNGEONNAMEHERE" ],
        "spawnDungeonNearSpawn" : true,
        "spawnMonsters" : false
    }

just by reading it, you can tell how it manipulates the spawn code.
    it basically makes every dungeon yours (microdungeons don't count)
    then it forces one to spawn close (always seems to be to the left, in my experience)
    and the monster thing is just to make it easy. things in dungeons still spawn, just not natural monsters.

TohKlidan and Trook like this.
  7. DoomFire

DoomFire Existential Complex

Hey. I understand that this tutorial is a little outdated. But I was wondering it was only possible to edit the image files with Starstructor?
    I attempted to make a dungeon, and after making the entrance in Paint.net I tested it and no matter what I did, I couldn't get the dungeon to spawn. and opening the images in starstructor and placing a new tile would cause the program to crash.
    Eventually it seemed that I completely ruined my starbound with it and had to completely reinstall. I still don't really understand what happened. But I managed the replicate the starstructor thing after editing a new image file and Paint.net then trying to edit it in starstructor again.

I was just wondering if it was possible to use any other programs to edit them? As starstructor can be VERY tedious.
    ( I am aware about starstructor editing the code as you add new rooms and brushes. I have simply been using existing colours in paint.net that I had used in starstructor previously. )

Also, there isn't an issue with spawning a dungeon with only an entrance right? Without any other rooms in the code. Because I wanted to at least test if it was spawning before I created any other room.

8. CaptainKobold

CaptainKobold Pangalactic Porcupine

There is totally nothing wrong with using a different image editing program to supplement starstructor! I do that all the time using gimp (because I have a weird bug). Just be sure you are using the colors properly and don't have any anti aliasing or anything on. If a color is off by any amount, it won't work.

Also, no problem with having just one building!

9. DoomFire

Hmmm. I know for a fact anti aliasing is off. I hardly ever have it on. I tend to use the fill tool a lot too, so I am fairly sure that the colours are correct...

I recently completely restarted my dungeon. So hopefully it will generate this time. o ~ o

10. CaptainKobold

Hmm... hopefully it works this time! If you come up upon a problem, give us the error and we can hopefully help out!

DoomFire likes this.
  11. DoomFire

Thank you. ^ - ^
    I was really nervous to ask originally.
    But if I have any issues I will ask...
    I am just pretty sure I don't understand the dungeons very well. o ~ o

Also, in the tutorial, it talks about there being an image for tiles, and another for objects. Though Starstructor, when generating a new room. Makes one for foreground tiles and background tiles. Does that... uh... mean anything? Or should I simply disregard the second layer?

12. CaptainKobold

I've personally been ignoring the foreground background separation. As far as I can tell, it works to have as many separate images as you would like, I just find separating fore and background to be confusing.

Shadewarp likes this.
  13. CaptainKobold

Also, no need to be nervous asking for help!

14. DoomFire

As do I.

Also lastly ( for now. ) What do overwritable tiles actually do? o ~ o Or should I just ignore them?

15. CaptainKobold

I'm not completely sure embarrassingly enough. Perhaps if you use that for two layers you could overwrite it?

16. DoomFire

Ah alright.

Well, despite the 2 images for tiles being a little confusing. I still think I trust that format a little more.
    So I think I will just draw it up without using any overwriting tiles, and see how it goes.
    Then if I have any issues. I may have to pester you / anyone willing to help again.

Thank you so much for the information. ^ - ^

17. CaptainKobold

Happy to help our! Hopefully it works out the way you want it!

18. DoomFire

Ahha! I managed to get it to spawn. Though for some reason, when trying to edit my dungeons foreground layer now, Starstructor crashes...

Code:
    See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.InvalidOperationException: SetPixel is not supported for images with indexed pixel formats.
      at System.Drawing.Bitmap.SetPixel(Int32 x, Int32 y, Color color)
      at Starstructor.EditorObjects.EditorMapLayer.SetBrushAt(EditorBrush brush, Int32 x, Int32 y, Boolean updateComposite)
      at Starstructor.GUI.MainWindow.OnCanvasLeftClick(Int32 gridX, Int32 gridY, Int32 lastGridX, Int32 lastGridY)
      at Starstructor.GUI.ImageBox.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
      at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
      at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
      at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
        Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18444 built by: FX451RTMGDR
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    Starstructor
        Assembly Version: 0.7.5145.12730
        Win32 Version: 0.7.5145.12730
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/External%20resorces/toolset/Starstructor.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18408 built by: FX451RTMGREL
        CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
        CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
        CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    Accessibility
        CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
    System.Configuration
        CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    System.Xml
        CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    Newtonsoft.Json
        Assembly Version: 4.5.0.0
        Win32 Version: 5.0.8.16617
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/External%20resorces/toolset/Newtonsoft.Json.DLL
    System.Core
        CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
    System.Numerics
        CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
    System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18408
        CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations.dll
    System.Runtime.Serialization
        CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll
    System.Xml.Linq
        CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
    System.Data
        CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
    System.Drawing.Design
        CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing.Design/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.Design.dll
    System.Design
        CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Design/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Design.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
        <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

19. CaptainKobold

Hmmm... I have no idea why that would be! I've actually never seen starstructor crash!

20. DoomFire

Oh. o ~ o Peculiar.

Oh well. I'll just use paint.net for the moment. As it is still generating fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.