1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed *How to Fix* Starbound crashes on Mac

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by hydro3000, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hydro3000

hydro3000 Master Chief

So the other day I downloaded starbound for the mac and upon trying to play for the second try I found it would crash a few seconds after it would start running. The error I had was : 13:25:06 starbound : This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore
    So if your starbound logo opens on the launchpad thing for about a second then closes read on

1) Restart steam
    2) Redownload Starbound
    3) Go to your starbound folder and move the 'Player folder out'

When I did step 3 I managed to get it working. Probably a patch was installed and the characters needed to be deleted but weren't

pimpinlink likes this.
  2. pimpinlink

pimpinlink Void-Bound Voyager

Oh thank goodness, I thought I would never find a solution to that.

I guess last time I looked up a solution, I forgot to take the Player folder out entirely.

3. Patchumz

Patchumz Pangalactic Porcupine

This problem happens anytime I modify the files in the player folder. As in, if I delete one to delete a character it completely invalidates the entire folder and doesn't let the game launch. Easy fix is to delete/move/rename the player folder. I'm hoping there's a better solution other than losing characters every time this happens...

4. CrazyLeo

CrazyLeo Space Hobo

I have a Mac too but there is no Player folder in the Starbound folder..

5. alexmu23

alexmu23 Yeah, You!

Do you have Mavericks installed

6. JamesDaPlayer

JamesDaPlayer Space Spelunker

I just NOW got Starbound and I have no player made yet what should I do? I NEED HELP I THINK I WASTED MY MONEY D:

7. satoru

satoru Tentacle Wrangler

You just need to delete the .ds_store file. Moving the folder is just a 'extremely complicated' method of doing that

8. Anfraxx

Anfraxx Space Hobo

Dude thank you so much, this fixed it completely for me, no idea why this worked but after 2 days I was almost ready to give up.

9. JamesDaPlayer

10. JamesDaPlayer

All I have in my starbound folder is assets lunix32 lunix64 mods and win32 aswell as Starbound

11. JamesDaPlayer

My bad lunix 32 No space though

12. Erkipsi

Erkipsi Aquatic Astronaut

You are the man! Thanks bro

13. Patchumz

As stated earlier, removing the .DS_Store file will also fix the problem, saving you from losing anything.

RvLesh likes this.
  14. NightCat

NightCat Void-Bound Voyager

RvLesh likes this.
  15. satoru

satoru Tentacle Wrangler

You cant actually disable their creation you can only mitigate it slightly

16. nic572

nic572 Void-Bound Voyager

help =( i keep taking out the player folder but I'm forced to make a new character whenever i start the game

17. MithrilBroadsword

MithrilBroadsword Intergalactic Tourist

There is no Player folder

18. nic572

the player folder is on the mac edition if your right click on the game in steam and hit browse local files you will see it you only see the player folder after you create a character it exists

HOWEVER, if you haven't gone into the app store on your mac and updated to the maverick then it doesn't work to open

19. nic572

tell me when you find a fix i really need help on that

20. Patchumz

Delete the hidden .DS_Store file in the player folder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.