Modding Help How to change an npc's name in Dialogue, and "horse"?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Jessicaks, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Jessicaks

Jessicaks Space Spelunker

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if someone can help me. I really want to change Harvey's name, and I have xnb Node to open the files and know how to do it. However, I have no clue how to change his name in dialogue, I went into Npc Disposition and did this:

Harvey: "adult/polite/shy/positive/male/datable/Maru/Town/winter 14//HarveyRoom 13 4/Charlie" #!String

I heard you change the name found in the NPC menu and in dialogues is by doing this, but it didn't change things...

Also, when you ride your horse, when you return from the desert a message pops up "your horse waits patiently for your return" or something like that. I used a mod to change its skin to a dragon, and was wondering how I could change it to dragon instead of horse?

• foghorn

foghorn Pangalactic Porcupine

Dialogue Changes Full by KeionDryke changes the names and gender-related dialogue for all of the eligible bachelors (everything that's not hard-coded); take a look at that for the strings you need to edit.

As for that pop-up in the desert: It's almost certainly hard-coded/buried somewhere beyond our reach (for now at least).

• Jessicaks

ok I edited the string exactly like Keion did, by putting the names at the end of each sentence (eg: Harvey:...../Harvey) with of course changing the name. However, it still didn't work :( do I have to start up SV as modded or a new game?

• Jessicaks

xnbData:
          target: "w"
          compressed: true
          hiDef: true
          readerData:
          -
          type: "Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.DictionaryReader`2[[System.String, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089],[System.String, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]]"
          version: 0

-
          type: "Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.StringReader"
          version: 0

numSharedResources: 0

content: #!Dictionary<String,String>
          Abigail: "teen/rude/outgoing/neutral/female/datable/Sebastian/Town/fall 13/Caroline 'mom' Pierre 'dad'/SeedShop 1 9/Abigail" #!String
          Caroline: "adult/polite/neutral/neutral/female/not-datable/Pierre/Town/winter 7/Pierre 'husband' Abigail ''/SeedShop 22 5/Caroline" #!String
          Clint: "adult/rude/shy/negative/male/not-datable/Emily/Town/winter 26/Emily ''/Blacksmith 3 13/Clint" #!String
          Demetrius: "adult/polite/neutral/positive/male/not-datable/Robin/Town/summer 19/Robin 'wife' Maru ''/ScienceHouse 19 4/Demetrius" #!String
          Willy: "adult/neutral/neutral/neutral/male/not-datable/null/Town/summer 24/Elliott ''/FishShop 5 4/Willy" #!String
          Elliott: "adult/polite/neutral/neutral/male/datable/Leah/Town/fall 5/Willy ''/ElliottHouse 1 5/Elliott" #!String
          Emily: "adult/polite/outgoing/positive/female/not-datable/null/Town/spring 27/Haley 'sister'/HaleyHouse 16 5/Emily" #!String
          Evelyn: "adult/polite/outgoing/positive/female/not-datable/George/Town/winter 20/George 'husband' Alex 'grandson'/JoshHouse 2 17/Evelyn" #!String
          George: "adult/rude/neutral/negative/male/not-datable/Evelyn/Town/fall 24/Evelyn 'wife' Alex 'grandson'/JoshHouse 16 22/George" #!String
          Gus: "adult/neutral/outgoing/positive/male/not-datable/null/Town/summer 8/Emily '' Pam ''/Saloon 18 6/Gus" #!String
          Haley: "adult/rude/outgoing/neutral/female/datable/Alex/Town/spring 14/Emily 'sister'/HaleyHouse 8 7/Haley" #!String
          Harvey: "adult/polite/shy/positive/female/datable/Maru/Town/winter 14//HarveyRoom 13 4/Josh" #!String
          Jas: "child/neutral/shy/positive/female/not-datable/Vincent/Town/summer 4/Vincent ''/AnimalShop 4 6/Jas" #!String
          Jodi: "adult/polite/neutral/neutral/female/not-datable/Kent/Town/fall 11/Sam 'eldest_son' Vincent 'youngest_son' Kent 'husband'/SamHouse 4 5/Jodi" #!String
          Alex: "adult/rude/outgoing/positive/male/datable/Haley/Town/summer 13/George 'grandpa' Evelyn 'grandma'/JoshHouse 19 5/Alex" #!String
          Kent: "adult/neutral/shy/negative/male/not-datable/Jodi/Town/spring 4/Jodi 'wife' Sam 'eldest_son' Vincent 'youngest_boy'/SamHouse 22 5/Kent" #!String
          Leah: "adult/polite/neutral/positive/female/datable/Elliott/Town/winter 23//LeahHouse 3 7/Leah" #!String
          Lewis: "adult/neutral/outgoing/positive/male/not-datable/null/Town/spring 7/Marnie ''/ManorHouse 8 5/Lewis" #!String
          Linus: "adult/neutral/shy/positive/male/not-datable/null/Town/winter 3//Tent 1 2/Linus" #!String
          Marlon: "adult/neutral/outgoing/neutral/male/not-datable/Marnie/Town//AdventureGuild 5 11/Marlon" #!String
          Marnie: "adult/polite/outgoing/positive/female/not-datable/Lewis/Town/fall 18/Lewis '' Shane 'nephew' Jas 'niece'/AnimalShop 12 14/Marnie" #!String
          Maru: "teen/neutral/outgoing/positive/female/datable/Harvey/Town/summer 10/Robin 'mom' Demetrius 'dad' Sebastian 'half-brother'/ScienceHouse 2 4/Maru" #!String
          Pam: "adult/rude/outgoing/negative/female/not-datable/Gus/Town/spring 18/Penny 'little_baby-girl' Gus ''/Trailer 15 4/Pam" #!String
          Penny: "teen/polite/shy/positive/female/datable/Sam/Town/fall 2/Pam 'mother'/Trailer 4 9/Penny" #!String
          Pierre: "adult/neutral/outgoing/positive/male/not-datable/Caroline/Town/spring 26/Abigail 'daughter' Caroline 'wife'/SeedShop 4 17/Pierre" #!String
          Robin: "adult/neutral/outgoing/positive/female/not-datable/Demetrius/Town/fall 21/Demetrius 'husband' Maru 'daughter' Sebastian 'son'/ScienceHouse 21 4/Robin" #!String
          Sam: "teen/neutral/outgoing/positive/male/datable/Penny/Town/summer 17/Vincent 'little_brother' Jodi 'mom' Kent 'dad' Sebastian ''/SamHouse 22 13/Sam" #!String
          Sebastian: "teen/rude/shy/negative/male/datable/Abigail/Town/winter 10/Robin 'mom' Maru 'half-sister' Sam ''/SebastianRoom 10 9/Sebastian" #!String
          Shane: "adult/rude/shy/negative/male/not-datable/null/Town/spring 20/Marnie 'aunt'/AnimalShop 25 6/Shane" #!String
          Vincent: "child/neutral/outgoing/positive/male/not-datable/Jas/Town/spring 10/Jas ''/SamHouse 10 23/Vincent" #!String
          Wizard: "adult/rude/neutral/negative/male/not-datable/null/Other/winter 17//WizardHouse 3 17/Wizard" #!String
          Dwarf: "adult/neutral/outgoing/positive/undefined/not-datable/null/Other/summer 22//Mine 43 6/Dwarf" #!String
          Sandy: "adult/neutral/outgoing/positive/female/not-datable/null/Desert/fall 15/Emily ''/SandyHouse 2 5/Sandy" #!String
          Krobus: "adult/polite/shy/neutral/male/not-datable/null/Other/winter 1//Sewer 31 17/Krobus" #!String

This is my changed npc disposition file, all I saw her change was the name at the end, so that's what I did for Harvey, but still, when I look in the npc menu or talk to them, it still comes up as Harvey.

• Jessicaks

please someone help, it's driving me crazy!

• foghorn

You need to check your formatting in whatever text/code editor you are using (I'm assuming Notepad++).

• Jessicaks

yeah and it's the same as the mod did, but it still doesn't seem to change the name in the dialogue box :(

• foghorn

In Notepad++:

1. Go to Settings > Preferences > Language Menu, and choose 'YAML'.
                  2. Go to 'Tab Settings' (right below 'Language Menu'), choose 'yaml', and check the box marked 'Replace by space'.
                  3. Open up your *.yaml file and go name-crazy.

Image 001 2016 07 03.png

Attached Files:

MastermindHen and Zalkyria like this.
                  • Jessicaks

ok, I opened Notepad ++ did as you said, changed Harvey to a new name, then saved the file. I then used xnb node to pack the files up again, replaced all the files in the "Content" folder, and still no changes.

• foghorn

I have no clue what's going on, then. I'll make the edits for you if you list what names(s) you want changed.

Note: All future edits will cost you two cookies & a Joja Cola.
                      A_jojacola.jpg

• Jessicaks

haha omg that would be amazing and I'll gladly shout you a chocolate cake with it :p I want to change the name of Harvey to Albert, I was able to change the dialogue that htye actually say such as "I work at Harvey's clinic" and that was changed :(

• foghorn

Here's Dr. Albert

Attached Files:

• Jessicaks

aww thanks for that! Sadly I replaced the files, but I still get "Harvey" in the NPC menu, and it's still "Harvey" under his potrait :(

• foghorn

Then you'll have to find someone else to troll help you, I'm afraid.
                              Image 001 2016 07 05.png Image 003 2016 07 05.png

• Zalkyria

Zalkyria Existential Complex

I want you to know that I was having the same issue that this guy had, and thank you so much for doing the thing for notepad++. I almost gave up but then I remembered this part, and it worked! Thanks again!! You helped me at least :D

foghorn likes this.