Modding Help How to add armor/clothing?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by gigaus, Apr 12, 2017.

1. gigaus

gigaus Aquatic Astronaut

Alright, before anyone says anything: Yes, I have read tutorials. Yes, I do have everything in the exact, correct file structure. And yes, I have the coding 'correct'.

But still my armor and clothing pieces won't show up. I tried adding them to different crafting station, trying to spawn them in directly, nothing. Every other part of my mod works, from skin edits on pre-existing objects, to new objects and crafting recipes, I even managed to make new effects for weapons and the like. All of it works.....but for the life of me, I can't get my wearables to work.

So instead of beating my head against a tutorial or five from however long ago, I'm turning to you guys. Is there some bit of code or extra bit that I need to do to make my wearable items A) craftable and :cool: appear and function? Something beyond the object files and recipe files?

2. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

Can you show us the armors, recipes, and player.config.patch files? To look at your resource would be a great help.

IHart likes this.
  3. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Are you using an up to date tutorial? What does your log have to say? Send us the files your need help with in a zip.

4. gigaus

gigaus Aquatic Astronaut

Alright, sending some of my files....I...Don't have a 'player.config.patch' file edited, could that be the issue?

Definitively not. Most the tuts I've found are before the 1.0 update, and even the ones after seem to assume that you already know exactly what to do from previous versions.
    'can't blame them, 90% of this is very easy stuff to do, just for whatever reason armor is being an issue.

Attached Files:

5. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I tested your clothes and crafting recipes. I ran around wearing the clothes and posed, no errors. I then switched to admin and crafted all three of the pieces( I switched to admin because there was no player.config.patch file). The only thing that could possibly be keeping you from spawning these items is another mod with similar items and higher priority; but that seems rather unlikely. Have you tested it with all of your other mods uninstalled?

6. gigaus

gigaus Aquatic Astronaut

I....You got it to work? Then why the bunk isn't it working for me....

I have only one other mod installed, and I doubt that they have something called 'gtestpants' or 'gtesthead' in there. I'll have to comb over it. I'll test it without other mods 'installed', but it seems unlikely that it would be the problem. I take it you NEED the player.config.patch file to be able to craft this stuff?

7. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

the player.config.patch (as far as I understand) lets you set the known recipes.
    Example:
    {"op" : "add","path" : "/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-","value" : { "item" : "SWMredyounglinglightsaber" }}

That lets every species that spawns automatically know the recipe for my Red Youngling Lightsaber.

I'll post an updated tutorial for armor today.

8. projectmayhem

9. projectmayhem

I tested your mod too, with my star wars mod as the only other mod. Head and Chest are craftable on Tier 3 Anvil, the legs are on the Tier 2 Spinning Wheel, not sure if you meant to do that.

The armor looks like this for me....

[​IMG]

I looked at the PNG for the armor, they all have that blue/yellow marking across the idle area. Not sure how SparkLink tested it and said it looked ok.

I also made a player.config.patch so I could craft them, it looks like this

[
    {"op" : "add","path" : "/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-","value" : { "item" : "gtestchest" }},
    {"op" : "add","path" : "/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-","value" : { "item" : "gtesthead" }},
    {"op" : "add","path" : "/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-","value" : { "item" : "gtestpants" }}
    ]

10. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

In Starbound there are three ways for a character to learn a crafting recipe;
    1. The character knows it from the start (This is done with a patch to the player.config),
    2. You pick up an item that makes you learn the recipe,
    3. You use a blueprint.

projectmayhem likes this.
  11. gigaus

gigaus Aquatic Astronaut

@projectmayham: Yes, that was intentional, and yes, that is how it's supposed to look. 'was trying to figure out the boarders of the sprite sheets, since there are none that are obvious.

But alright, that is something I did not know. That helps make progress! Though, it makes me question now, why can I craft other stuff I've added [Not in the test folder] that I haven't added to the P.C.P file, but not these? The furniture I made I can craft just fine .3.

@Sparklink: Okay, how would a blueprint or picking up an item work though? Update the crafting list somehow?

12. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

To have an item teach you a recipe you will need the learnBlueprintsOnPickup parameter in your .item file.
    {
    "itemName" : "example",
    "price" : 0,
    "rarity" : "Common",
    "category" : "craftingMaterial",
    "inventoryIcon" : "example.png",
    "description" : "example.",
    "shortdescription" : "Example",
    "itemTags" : [ "reagent" ],
    "learnBlueprintsOnPickup" : [
    "example"
    ]