1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

how should Florans mate?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Ariexe, Apr 20, 2013.

?

How do you think florans should mate?

1. Rub their butts?

125 vote(s)
    38.6%
  2. self pregnacy

34 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. it just happens

23 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. normal male/female intercourse

59 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. MAGIC

40 vote(s)
    12.3%
  6. other

43 vote(s)
    13.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lawls

Lawls Space Kumquat

:iswydt:

2. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

The flowers on there head as far as character creator shows, is not a hat but on their head naturally so I assume so.

3. Lawls

Lawls Space Kumquat

Well then pollen seems likely.

4. Fox Soul

Fox Soul Aquatic Astronaut

Well, this may not technically be reproduction, but I do know some plants technically can spread by breaking off a branch and replanting it...
    ... So if I tear off a floran's arm and plant it somewhere else, it could regrow into a new floran?

5. Serenity

Your seed hypothesis sounds good. So this is what we got so far.

I. Pre dance plus butt rub ritual
    II. Then mating either self or cross pollination based on their status
    III. Finally the seeds produced are placed in the sacred sprout garden

6. Loksoral

Loksoral Void-Bound Voyager

This is an excellent question. This is something I want answered, because if I can, I'm going to keep cutting off fingers and growing an army of Florans, and then you're all DOOMED! :fireball:

7. genobee

genobee Star Wrangler

They "pollinate" each other obviously. How do they "pollinate" you say? Lets leave it to imagination.

8. Bynn_Error

Bynn_Error Cosmic Narwhal

Whoa careful there matriarch how are you going to feed an entire ARMY!?

and leading that many offspring will be like herding cat's!

and do you have a ship big enough for that!?

9. Serenity

Well they are flowering plants and if no mates are available they can reproduce asexually. If they some how get major damage to the flower they will snap off limbs and plant them. Then root in the ground regrowing parts using ground nutrients and photosynthesis.

10. wataru

wataru Phantasmal Quasar

Looks like it is hard to grow an "brain" of a floran. So branching is not an option. The arm will grow separately as normal tree or something. But it will not gorw into a full floran.
    But donor of an arm could easily grow another arm. I think they could regenerate body even if they have head separated.

11. Serenity

IV. Emergency action to ensure survival of species. Well they are flowering plants and if no mates are available they can reproduce asexually. If they some how get major damage to the flower they will snap off limbs and plant them. Then root in the ground regrowing parts using ground nutrients and photosynthesis.

Ideas by
    seed garden idea: Wataru
    butt rubbing: Rho
    Self/Cross polination:Most people
    Emergency limb plantind: Fox Soul/Waturu/Serenity

12. Fox Soul

Pretty much, if you don't kill a floran whole, they are indestructible.

13. Serenity

Are we all in agreement on the combined plan instead of the original multiple choice?

14. RedScarWolf

RedScarWolf Spaceman Spiff

I accept it, much more interesting that way.

15. Simon Petrikov

Simon Petrikov Ketchup Robot

So, this is what I got,
    They do a ritual where they rub there butts together, then they rip eachothers arms off?

16. Bynn_Error

Bynn_Error Cosmic Narwhal

To be honest that way is terrifying!

they sound like they would be nearly imposable to fully exterminate there would always be straggler's, they would probably always have a constant
    presence in the universe as such.

So yeah pretty awesome!

17. AirplaneRandy

AirplaneRandy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

They rub their pistils and stamens together on a giant mushroom bed.

18. Simon Petrikov

Simon Petrikov Ketchup Robot

Exactly, if they actually can regenerate you would litterally need to vaporize them to completely squash them out of existance, because just probably, a peice of a finger or a peice of a scalp can regenerate an entire new body.
    Or launch Giant cyanide pellets into the atmosphere where they vaporize into the atmosphere, killing them without making another one.

19. Fox Soul

Remember, this is supposed to be a family friendly game. Would butt rubbing be excepted to some EXTREME parents?

20. Serenity

New Poll that could determine if one of the choices above or the combined plan are chosen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.