1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

how should Florans mate?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Ariexe, Apr 20, 2013.

?

How do you think florans should mate?

1. Rub their butts?

125 vote(s)
    38.6%
  2. self pregnacy

34 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. it just happens

23 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. normal male/female intercourse

59 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. MAGIC

40 vote(s)
    12.3%
  6. other

43 vote(s)
    13.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMurumasa

TheMurumasa Existential Complex

I was going to say using cuttings of themselves, but then I saw the gif.

Butt rubbing it is...

2. Daj

Daj Big Damn Hero

There's no reason to think that Florans would carry their children like us mammal types.
    Most likely, a seed of some sort would form in their hair (or wherever) for a little while before it falls off or they pull it out and plant it somewhere.

RyuuTheWuffs likes this.
  3. haggis

haggis Master Chief

Dandelion style.
    [​IMG]

Wurmheart likes this.
  4. Fox Soul

Fox Soul Aquatic Astronaut

Just to throw this out there, the flower could also be a carnivorous trap.
    [​IMG]

Floran's past might have been ambush creatures and lured prey to there flowers.

Blackleaf likes this.
  5. ...and nowadays they have appealing humanoid form to ambush spacemen.:metroid:

6. Atlus

Atlus Big Damn Hero

I now ponder how the soccer moms and conservatives if they saw that their kids are playing a game that vividly describes that babies come from touching butts.

This has to be a joke. They're flowering plants. Flowers are a plant's genitals, and they have those on their -head- right there.

The worst part I think is that this logical conclusion is completely ignored in the poll as even a prospect. :lod:

I'm getting way too disconcerted over something this dumb. What are you doing to me, Starbound. :V

Blackleaf likes this.
  7. RyuuTheWuffs

RyuuTheWuffs Aquatic Astronaut

I know that you all were looking at doing a ritual-type thing for them, so I was wondering..
    Will there be side-quests to participate? Every so often (maybe a couple months or something) will your character need to go to a Floran-populated planet to take part in said ritual? I think it would be fun to have certain needs and duties which need to be fulfilled which were race-specific.

Edit: I voted for butt-bumpin :megusta:

They're including the mating rituals of all species. The Glitch build a child, the Dovakids merge plasma (giggidy) and create a brand for them, the humans and monkeys do it like they do on the Discovery channel.

I'm happy they're going into this much detail. It's supposed to be all about depth and exploration, so it's nice to have all research areas covered. If you were a real explorer who discovered a race of sentient plants and were chronicling their behavior, wouldn't you at least ask about their mating patterns? We have a major movie that was made about the mating rituals of penguins, I'm sure alien culture would take precedence over that.

8. StarMetal25

StarMetal25 Phantasmal Quasar

Because they're still plants no matter how much they move.

9. Atlus

Atlus Big Damn Hero

I know they've elaborated those but I think those make degrees more sense than... butts. Butts have nothing to do with plants.

Unless the idea is that Florans have greatly misinterpreted how other races mate, given they're mimics of humanoids. Still weird, at least that'd make a degree more sense. :lolwut:

10. Mrs. Gency

Mrs. Gency Void-Bound Voyager

I imagine the butt rubbing to sound like two balloons rubbing together.

Obnoxiously loud squeaking.

Floran safe sex: wearing rubber underpants (butt rubbers). Otherwise, they may be at risk of contracting a BTI (buttually transmitted infection). Unfortunately, the butt rubbers cause the butt squeaks to be even louder.

ErekoseDM likes this.
  11. Kistaria Prime

Kistaria Prime Cosmic Narwhal

I concur that our species should mate by magic. As that 'butt rubbing' you see is actually a fertility dance granted to us by Ombobeeway the Chaste. He refused to pollinate with another of our species until this mystical dance came about, in which the pollen of one transformed into the pollen of another right before our eyes.

...I also think with a little glee how much faster he danced when I doused him in petrol and lit him up like a firecracker. Goooood times. Sadly he didn't taste any better crisped. Siiiigh.

12. nofo

nofo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Female Florans appear to have breasts, indicating they are mammals of some sort.

I would expect making magic would be part of making children for them.

13. JoshF

JoshF Void-Bound Voyager

I... not even an option for pollination? BOSS!

Atlus likes this.
  14. ErekoseDM

ErekoseDM Void-Bound Voyager

the female Robots have breasts as well but that doesnt make them mammals.

and its possible the Florans have some fruit growing off 'em, maybe they stopped at melon shakers . . .:whoop: :raccoon: :monkey:

15. nofo

nofo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The robots are not organic however they were made in the image of humans. Their breasts are purely aesthetic.

Organic lifeforms would not develop breasts without a reason.

I suppose you could argue they are just lumps of fat or salad growing on them but I can't see that prospect being any more appealing.

Either way, they are very humanoid in appearance and also will need food etc like humans unless I am mistaken, which gives more credit to the theory they would reproduce using the same methods humans do.

16. Silverduke1

Silverduke1 Giant Laser Beams

except they dont have a gender so they cant reproduce like humans

17. nofo

nofo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If they don't have a gender why is there a blue/red rose thing with one of them having breasts.

If the roses don't represent gender what do they represent?

18. Silverduke1

Silverduke1 Giant Laser Beams

the roses are purely astetic it was also stated earlier in this thread

19. GyP211

GyP211 Phantasmal Quasar

What would happen if a floran rubs his/her butt on a flower and what happens if pollen from other plant get on them?:confused: or they just can't crossbreed. on the subject would the baby grow on the mother's butt? maybe i'm over thinking this.​

20. Scourgeclaw

Scourgeclaw Subatomic Cosmonaut

Pollination, followed by the planting of a pollinated seed in the ground where A new floran will sprout, grow, and rise from the ground all zombie like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.