1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

how should Florans mate?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Ariexe, Apr 20, 2013.

?

How do you think florans should mate?

1. Rub their butts?

125 vote(s)
    38.6%
  2. self pregnacy

34 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. it just happens

23 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. normal male/female intercourse

59 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. MAGIC

40 vote(s)
    12.3%
  6. other

43 vote(s)
    13.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ariexe

Ariexe Pangalactic Porcupine

well, they say briefly in the lore of other races how they reproduce, obviously not humans, and most likely not apex

2. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

I think such matters should be left in the hands of the kid of people whose art ends up in "rule 34" sites.

They'll know what to do.

Personally, being plants, it'll make sense to find a nice sunny spot in a world with bees, root there for a while in group, get pollinated and sprout some fruit, and leave it there.

3. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

Its odd that a lot of people believe the following two things:

-Unisex = Asexual reproduction
    This isn't the case, Unisex just means that regardless of outward appearance all members of the species feature the same reproductive parts. In other words, they are hermaphroditic. They can still reproduce asexually, however it isn't unlikely that they also reproduce asexually. It just isn't their only mode of reproduction and I don't know why people think it would be. Asexual reproduction can be devastating for a species if a sudden change in climate were to come along, there would be no variation, all individuals would look the same because they are genetically identical. The fact that you can customize your Floran at all demonstrates that they reproduce sexually, not asexually.

-Florans are plants = needs pollinators
    This is ridiculous, plants need pollinators only because they are literally stuck to the ground they are born in. They cant get up and find a mate, so they rely on other means of getting their pollen to other members. Florans are fully motile, they are perfectly capable of finding other members of their species, it is neither necessary nor interesting for them to have any form of pollinator. They can do it themselves, so it isn't necessary. Its arguably one of the greatest adaptations a plant can have in furthering its genomes, motility.

edit:

No it wouldn't, trading their motility would have no benefit for the species. Whats to stop them from reproducing and maintaining their ability to move? Why bother rooting to the ground and waiting for something else to come along and spread their pollen when they can do it themselves?

Ravenholme and Hypersthene like this.
  4. Silverduke1

Silverduke1 Giant Laser Beams

like i said they should be able to reproduce in multiple ways sexually asexually ect

5. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Plants have both parts and don't need another to make seeds.

6. This? AGAIN?
    I thought this was discussed and solved already?

Atlus, blind sniper and Serenity like this.
  7. MachoBandit

MachoBandit Pangalactic Porcupine

Doggy style.

8. Serenity

I can't believe how long I spent yesterday trying to come up with a unified theory based on all the responses. It really seems like in the end the joke answer will win and there will be no scientific explanation :/ If any one cares at this point here it is:

I. Pre dance plus butt rub ritual
    II. Then mating either self or cross pollination based on their status
    III. Finally the seeds produced are placed in the sacred sprout garden
    IV. Emergency action to ensure survival of species. Well they are flowering plants and if no mates are available they can reproduce asexually. If they some how get major damage to the flower they will snap off limbs and plant them. Then root in the ground regrowing parts using ground nutrients and photosynthesis.

Ideas by
    seed garden idea: Wataru
    butt rubbing: Rho
    Self/Cross polination:Most people
    Emergency limb plantind: Fox Soul/Waturu/Serenity

9. Ariexe

I understand your pain

Honestly im okay with the whole "rubbin butts" joke but at least have a scientific explanation, and you do it the best

10. Serenity

Well I really just helped in unifying all the good ones and helped a little on one I can't take all the credit.

11. SkrittKing

SkrittKing Starship Captain

The fact that this topic has gone on this long is ENTIRELY weird.

12. Silverduke1

Silverduke1 Giant Laser Beams

its been going on for 5 months

13. beebot83

beebot83 Big Damn Hero

Let's face it, we're all just perverts.

Atlus and Ariexe like this.
  14. Ariexe

I think we can make it to 20 pages before it getting locked

15. Serenity

lol

16. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Totally by butt rubbing... totally.

17. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

Its an interesting topic, however a lot of it is people missing previously made points and having them reiterated to them.

Atlus and Serenity like this.
  18. Serenity

Indeed and in the End. Everyone will probably just pick butts and ignore everything else.

19. Daj

Daj Big Damn Hero

Even if they lock this, a new thread would likely be created within a week.
    This subject is too popular to be completely put to rest. It'll likely live as long as Starbound itself.

(unless they release some kind of family update that implements the correct answer to this, but that'll probably never happen)

20. orb_outrider

orb_outrider Big Damn Hero

Ummm... pollination? Okay that would be weird, a random Floran gets pregnant because some random pollen from a different place gets flown into her head.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.