How ''magic'' would fit

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by DevilForce, Jun 15, 2012.

?

Is this a good idea?

1. Yes! i like it!

41.1%
  2. No, i dont like it.

45.2%
  3. I dont care.

13.7%
  1. I never even said anything other than for you to make up your mind. Are you even talking about magic anymore? Because if you're talking about magic in the form of technology, you're not talking about 'actual magic' as you stated in your previous posts. In short, it makes it appear as if you're hopping sides argument.

Furthermore, if it's not a suggestion, I strongly suggest you check where you post your threads from now on, since this is currently in the suggestions section, not the FAQ.

Lastly, I never argued with you in the first place. But now, here you are pulling me into this argument crap I never bothered joining.

The Corrupted [ITA] likes this.
  2. DevilForce

DevilForce Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i am not hopping sides, i am somewhere in the middle, i just want that magic and science lowers would be happy equally.
    about the "this is not the suggestion", if i would post that question in the FAQ, all of the members except those who replied to this thread would not understand. That question is mainly for DeadlyLuvdisc and The Corrupted because they are the professionals.
    Lastly, you joined this argument (witch I'd like to call a discussion) by replying to this thread and i never pulled you into this.

3. Did I ever side in any position in the argument? Nope. Simply replying to the thread doesn't make you an automatic member of the argument, as I had no opinion concerning it.

Plus, a "discussion"? It's a discussion in the form of an argument, as you are using reasoning to persuade the opposition.

4. DevilForce

You joined the argument when you quoted me the 2nd time. Its your fault only actually.

5. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

That is kind of rude. You are provoking others by saying something in this manner. Please, mind your writing style.

If you don't want to argue, write it in a neutral way. Somehow I and a ton of other people managed to post a reply here without getting involved into whatever argument is going on. I wonder, why were you picked apart? Because you wrote in the same neutral way everyone who managed not to get involved wrote? I don't think so.

6. Oh? Mind telling me what my opinion in concerning magic then?

7. Tea Mate

I'm not saying you actually joined the argument really, but this really does leave room for doubt whether this could be counted as taking a side in the argument.

SOME may understand this as joining the argument.

8. That's not my opinion concerning the argument, though. That's me questioning his actual side in the argument, not siding in one.

The Corrupted [ITA] likes this.
  9. The Corrupted [ITA]

The Corrupted [ITA] Big Damn Hero

May i make a suggestion? this tread is now a joke. Call a mod and close it, problem solved

10. if you really want my opinion- fine. That makes me in the argument, but I'm not contributing any more than this

Technically 'magic' of any sort can be ingame, as long as you give some reasoning and explanation into it.

Shippo and §hifter like this.
  11. DevilForce

That's fair enuff

12. Tea Mate

Yes, i understand it that way, but I'm just saying that some people might see it as you expressing opinion, because this part: "...Because if you're talking about magic in the form of technology, you're not talking about 'actual magic' as you stated in your previous posts..." might be misunderstood. I understand you can't see the other way in which it might be understood, because you intended only one meaning, but there still is that slim chance of mis-interpretation. I'm just saying this so you would see that it was understood as you expressing opinion because of a misunderstanding most likely.

I think that's the compromise everyone reached in the end. Because it is, after all, the most logical conclusion.

13. DevilForce

and that's my question that still isn't answered by the pro's

14. Im going to answer that.

In my previous message I forgot to specify that science is not an element or power like magic. You cannot power a device with science.
    Let's quote Wikipedia, since at least there is a consensus of a kind there:
    "Science (from Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge") is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe."
    "Magic is the art of producing a desired effect or result through the use of incantation, ceremony, ritual, the casting of spells or various other techniques that presumably assure human control of supernatural agencies or the forces of nature."

Using these definitions, lets say there is a situation where a person can create fire with their bare hand. There are studies on it, by multiple reputable sources, and the scientific community has to admit that it is real.
    It does not become science. It is merely scientifically tested and verified.
    Edit: Adding to that, if this happened, scientists would adjust their theories accordingly. (this assuming everyone gets over their denial)

The developers have said that this supernatural control does not exist in starbound. Therefore, we cannot use magic in any form to explain any devices.

/T-t-thread?

15. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

Just going to remind you all about the scenario I provided before with jumping over a table being science.
    Before I even jump, I have testable explanations and predictions about the situation.
    Explanation = I have propelled myself into the air many times before by rapidly extending my legs.
    Prediction = based on how high/far I have jumped in the past, I can probably jump over this particular table.
    Tests = every time I have ever jumped in the past, and the information I have gathered by merely glancing at the table.

Science does not require a lab, or a team of people in white coats pushing up their glasses every five minutes.
    If someone discovered a way to produce fireballs from their hands, I assure you it would probably be through science.
    They no doubt studied some ancient text, formed predictions and explanations of how it would proceed, then tested them.
    Once they manage to produce fireballs from their hands, they know that they can do so in the future because of science.
    Heck, it doesn't even need to be rigorously peer reviewed and accepted by the academic community to be science.

Suika Ibuki likes this.
  16. Well thing is, I included that there to rule out any pseudo-science like healing through faith, as people don't have a consensus on whether that is scientifically verifiable and whatnot.
    But yes, what Luvdisk said.

17. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

To verify something, you need good evidence that supports it. Unfortunately, Faith Healing is only supported by bad evidence.
    Arguments that are supported only by bad evidence are still reached through scientific practices.
    Of course, the academic community of science rejects theories that are not supported by good evidence.

EDIT: Is this thread even about Mechanics? I'd put it in Other or maybe even General Discussion.

18. Mastaf

Mastaf Big Damn Hero

I love the idea of magic ingame, no matter how wil we name it. But sadly there always are people saying: "Dat's sci-fi so no magic then!"
    If you don't want magic, name it a new sort of science, unexplained technology or whatever. People that like magic try to do everything for it to be ingame, even throw away the sense of magic, which is that magic CAN'T be explained, but there will ALWAYS be someone on the opposite side.

P.S. Aren't I too late? It seems the whole discussion ended a couple days ago and I feel like I found a 3 days old sandwich in my backpack and started eating it:x

19. You are kinda late, but that's never an option.

I don't see why you had to quote me though. Others have discussed this better than me- you should discuss it with them rather than me.

20. SrsBznz

SrsBznz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I actually like your whole glove idea. But it needs a resource and since other things already use energy (or is it battery) I see no reason for why this shouldn't also, especially since it's based on science and not the power of your mind.

The back story should be changed to something a bit more sci-fi appropriate though. How about you discover some old abandoned lab with the blueprints and a prototype for this "Element controlling glove". The thing is that they never finished it, but with the help of your and your crews knowledge and there already being a prototype you manage to complete it after adding some of your own materials.

Then you could create specific chips to put in your glove that changes what it does (like a basic fireball, ice ray etc.). If it would be easier to code just making new gloves works too I guess.

EDIT: I realized that this thread is quite old so maybe someone has already mentioned something similar, call me lazy if you want but I don't feel like reading through the whole thread.