1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you pronounce 'Miniknog' and 'Erchius'?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by rubyoctopus, Jun 28, 2016.

1. rubyoctopus

rubyoctopus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have been wondering about this for quite some time. I always pronounce miniknog with a silent k, and erchius with the 'ch' as a 'k', but I don't know the exact way to do it.

Roselle and Sh4dowWalker96 like this.
  2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

For what it's worth, my assumed pronunciation is the same as yours. The only way you can really pronounce Miniknog is with a silent 'k', as pronouncing it too would sound silly. And Erchius sounds a little nicer with the 'ch' pronounced as a 'k', although it's workable otherwise.

3. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

Ludovic likes this.
  4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Min - nee - nog
    Er - Key - Us

5. Sheeps

Sheeps Void-Bound Voyager

The first time I saw "Miniknog" I accidentally read it as "Minikong". And well, I stuck with that :nurutease:

theflamingchuthulu, IHart and Zlyvr like this.
  6. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

I say stuff stupidly without even caring. To this day I still call Cthulhu Chalalululululu just to make my friends angry in the process. To me I generally write the stuff out and rarely speak it out loud so it never really matter how I say it as it never became an issue.

So with that disclaimer out of the way I would say miniknog just like you would say mini nog. Pretty much ignore the k completely. I would say erchius like you would say Icarus because to me the word look alike and I just don't care. Me no English.

7. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I am probably horribly butchering the name, but I always pronounced Cthulhu as "Thoo-loo" or maybe "Thul-hoo". I am not entirely sure if the second H should be silent or not.

8. Zerukoba

There is many ways of saying Cthulhu. It seem like the official way though is the way most people don't say it oddly enough. Wikipedia have a whole section about it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu#Etymology.2C_spelling_and_pronunciation and I'm sure Youtube have a ton of videos people debating on the subject where you can hear people sound it out. Personally if I were to try to say it correctly I would go with the ka-chew-loo route though that is most likely the worst way of doing it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  9. Sh4dowWalker96

Sh4dowWalker96 Big Damn Hero

C'thulhu is actually not meant to be pronounced by mortal tongues, so literally every way we can pronounce it is wrong. Though I pronounce it C'thooloo, myself.

10. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

I pronounce Cthulhu like these guys:

Eh? Why no, I'm not just looking for an excuse to spread this music around. :p

11. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I think we're getting a tad off-topic, guys. This thread's about pronouncing Starbound-related terms, not eldritch abominations.

12. Zerukoba

Yea, sorry about that. I accidentally but nevertheless started it.

More on topic though here is how I pronounce races personally, not sure if I been saying them wrong all of this time or what so once again disclaimer, me no words.

Human - Hue-man (I know that is wrong but I like to think that how every other race say it and it kinda got stuck to the point where even other humans start doing it)
    Apex - A-plex (flex but replace the f with a p sound)
    Avian - A-van, pretty sure it is like A-v-in-an, like there is an in sound in the middle of you saying van.
    Floran - Floor-ran
    Glitch - Glitch like how you would say a computer glitch. I wish I could come up with a different way of saying it as I like to think the race Glitch sound different from a normal kind of glitch or else it could get confusing.
    Hylotl - I have no freaking clue but in my head it is hi-lot
    Novakid - Nova kid but without the pause.
    Alpaca - Same way you would say the animal with the same name.
    Agaran - A-ga (almost a god sound) -ran
    Frogg - Like how you would say frog normally but in your best frog voice (otherwise you are doing it wrong) just drag the word out at the end. Frrrrroooggggggggggggggggg rrrrrrrrrribbbbbbbbit
    Penguin - Pig-win, I know that isn't how you say it but I like to insult them whenever I get the chance.
    Fenerox - Fin-net-rot sounds but at the rot part you try your best to make it sound like you are saying fox but with a rot in front.

I am very stupid when it comes to words, more so when it is video game related or such. I generally end up making my own ways of saying it and at least have fun with it. Seriously though I would love to see how Hylotl is meant to sound though.

13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Agaran = Ah - gare - an (Short A sound, like the word "apart", 'gare' sounds like 'tear' as in to rip something apart)
    Avian = A - vee - an (Long A sound, as if you were talking about the letter A, like in the word "play").
    Hylotl = Hi - lot - el (shorten the E sound at the end so that it is barely there, you go straight from the t sound to the l sound. Or, think of it as adding the word "tell" on the end, but dropping the E sound so that it is "Hi - law - tell" but drop most of the E sound).
    Fenerox = Fen - er - ocks (as in rocks. The first part, "Fener" sounds like "Fender" only without the d sound).

EDIT: Another way to think of "Hylotl": "Hi - law - till" but barely touch the I sound at the end.

Zerukoba likes this.
  14. HighTech109

HighTech109 Void-Bound Voyager

I'm not English, so stuff that, in English, sounds silly, is perfectly fine in my language.
    That said, I always called the Miniknog: "Me-nik-nog"
    And Erchius, even if it sounds silly, "R-key-uh-s"
    It's weird, I know, but this is a Fantasy game after all, so use your imagination :nurutease:

15. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

I don't care how it is spelled, it is "mini-KONG" to me. It is fitting cus, you know, they are all apes, and DK is an ape... so yeah.

16. Zerukoba

So I was somewhat close with Hylotl, just missing a whole syllable at the end. I was completely wrong with Agaran though.

For the most part I was right with the others though the way you explain it is much MUCH better. I don't have a way with words or sounding them out.

17. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Reminds me of this:

18. Eonwulf

Eonwulf Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I always read it as Minikong so that is how I would say it.
    If I were to adjust it now that I find out it's spelled differently I would say "Mini-Kuh-Nog".

I read Erchius as "Air-Chi-Us".
    I can see how "Air-Ki-Us" would work though.

Sheeps likes this.
  19. Jandroan

Jandroan Subatomic Cosmonaut

I for one always pronounced Erchius as Air-ih-kus, because i misread it when i fist saw it.
    As for miniknog, i first misread it as miniKONG which seemed fitting at the time, but i now use minikong and mini-nog interchangeably.
    I pronounce hylotl as hi-lo-tul with the u barely said at all.
    Agarans i pronounce as Ah-gar-ahn

Additionally, am i the only one who thinks fenerox is a merging of "fennec" and "fox" as in the fennec fox?

20. Sh4dowWalker96

Sh4dowWalker96 Big Damn Hero

They ARE based on the Fennecs, even the head-arrow.

On topic, I pronounce them Mini-nog, and Air-ki-us.