Modding Help Help with costume? :D

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by @lias, Jun 24, 2016.

1. @lias

@lias Void-Bound Voyager

I made a harpy costume,
    [​IMG]
    but when I wear it ingame, my arms and legs poke through.

What setting do I use to make my character not show up underneath? Thanks in advance!

Skelozard1 likes this.
  2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

You can't. The body renders at all times.

3. TheElderScroller

TheElderScroller Pangalactic Porcupine

You could use lua scripts.
    Would work, but its not a very good solution...

4. @lias

@lias Void-Bound Voyager

Oh. That's... a bit of a setback.
    I'll have to mull this over and see if I can find a slightly more kludgy solution, I guess.

5. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Perhaps you could make it into a race mod instead of a costume? Does it have to be a costume?

6. @lias

@lias Void-Bound Voyager

If at all possible, I'd much prefer it to be a very convincing costume. My original plan was to hammer a bunch of monster costumes like these out and put them all in one pack so people could run around looking like their favorite creatures without having to commit to a race and a lore and a ship and all the rest of that business. I just happened to start with the Harpy because bird legs are cool and fun to animate. I could make them individual races, but I think they would end up feeling kind of empty because I hadn't really planned anything for them beyond appearances.

I've been combing through the armors and stats to try and find a workaround. I thought I was onto something with the invisible statuseffect, but that makes you entirely invisible, even your clothes. :(
    I wonder, though, if you could hook into that and just make specific sheets from the humanoid files transparent at a time, like the legs.png or head.png. If you applied that onto the corresponding piece of armor, it would be a free pass to make whatever you liked.
    Of course, that's assuming it's even possible. Any code experts out there who could weigh in on this?

7. Mackinz

Eh... you can make simple race mods which are simple sprite replacements of a vanilla race if you don't want to deal with constructing a whole race. Plenty of old race mods did that.

8. @lias

@lias Void-Bound Voyager

Well I kinda outlined why I'd rather not do that in the parts of my last post that you didn't quote, but to be clear it's not so much of a question of feasibility as it is the fact that, if it was a race, it would be a hollow shell of a thing that really wouldn't have enough content to warrant its own mod. Besides, the mod list is already drowning in races as it is. :D

I'm still looking, unsuccessfully, for ways to adjust the player's transparency without making their clothes disappear. If anybody knows about any functions even close to that that please chime in, I'd be in your debt.

9. Mackinz

I've been thinking it may be possible to create a status effect that temporarily replaces the color replacement values of each race with a value that makes the color replacement invisible.

While I may not be able to code a status effect which does so, I did make an edit to my character customization mod which adds successfully adds transparent skin/underwear/hair color options to humans.

367540_20160625201116_1.png
    [​IMG]

My character improvements mod (Species Improvement Modpack) is a combination of numerous Character Improvements mods, so I won't be distributing that here but all you need to do is make a mod, make a patch file in /species/, then add this to the patch file:

For this example, I used human.species.patch
    Code:
    [
    {"op" : "add", "path" : "/bodyColor/-", "value" : { "ffe2c5" : "00000000", "ffc181" : "00000000", "d39c6c" : "00000000", "c7815b" : "00000000" }},
    {"op" : "add", "path" : "/hairColor/-", "value" : { "d9c189" : "00000000", "a38d59" : "00000000", "735e3a" : "00000000" }},
    {"op" : "add", "path" : "/undyColor/-", "value" : { "dc1f00" : "00000000", "be1b00" : "00000000", "951500" : "00000000" }}
    ]

I hypothesize that someone could script a status effect which does this temporarily instead of permanently.

10. TheElderScroller

TheElderScroller Pangalactic Porcupine

That is simple... I'm lazy and busy, but if no one else does that maybe I'm gonna.

@lias and Mackinz like this.
  11. Mackinz

Just do it anyway if you have the time. And make it Nightly-compatible if possible, since Glad Giraffe is going bye-bye in probably less than a month.

12. @lias

@lias Void-Bound Voyager

Oh man, thanks so much! If you actually can manage to do this, It'd be a huge step forward for nonstandard armors.

13. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Another option is to make this a tech. It's really easy to replace your character image with custom images/animations via techs. Maybe use the morphball tech as a template?

14. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

for a fix you could add the invisible effect to the armor status effects for when it is worn by the player in the armor slots.

what you could also do is add a backpack that gives the effect and since i know some people will want a halogen pack/xenon pack/lantern stick that has the effect in it's status effects. it would cost 1 of each backpack and would still have the same effect as the backpack but also give the invisible effect.

edit: though i might be wrong because i don't know if the invisible effect only affects the player or the player and the armor

15. Mackinz

Well, reading would have saved the trip.

That's why we started to look at alternatives, like my color replacement idea.

16. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

Well looks like I missed that, I'm going to blame it on the fact that it 2am where I am and go to sleep for probably the best

17. Mackinz

No sleep. Is time to create temporary color-replacement mod!

18. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

While I would normally agree now I have to do my 10 hours shift at my job plus the 2 hour drive to and from my cottage, 1 hour to go 1 back ever work days since i live in my cottage since half of my block burnt down 2 momths ago so yeah I need to wake up in 6 hours and need to sleep. Because I somehow enjoy having a job where a normal rush lasts 5 months.

19. v6ooo

v6ooo Space Kumquat

Wouldn't setting replacement directives just mess up colors if you happen to use one of them. Considering that we have different races and they all use different colors that also limits you from using those.

I'm just mentioning concerns when making this, finding ways around it would be awesome.
    There's a reason why all the costumes are bigger than the char sprite :)

20. @lias

@lias Void-Bound Voyager

I'm still sifting through things and brainstorming, but I have a few questions based on what I've come across.

1: I noticed that some of the status effects that change your color, like getting wet or being on fire, do so with a color overlay. In Burning's example, it's this line that applies it

effect.setParentDirectives("fade=BF3300=0.25")

which I can only guess is the function followed by the hex value of the overlaid color, and the opacity%.
    Of note is "fade." I've also seen "multiply," are there others?

2: Because every player isn't going to choose the same color, it might be tricky to replace effectively unless you account for every single color that someone could possibly choose. Is there a way to reference a player's .player file for their specific color choices? I think I've found the pertinent lines of code for recoloring, with hex values corresponding to the replaced colors (bodyDirectives and hairDirectives specifically) but I don't know if you could get it reliably with how often the file changes, or at all.

It's times like these I REALLY wish I understood more about coding. :(