Modding Help Help Decompiling Code on Mac OSX

Discussion in 'Mods' started by nowhere537, Jun 18, 2019.

1. nowhere537

nowhere537 Space Hobo

Hello All! I'm fairly new to modding so please bear with me. I've created a few simple mods for Stardew Valley as testers, but I have an idea for something more complicated. I would like to see how the game handles certain events to get a better idea of whether or not I can pull of my mad scheme. This brings me to my issue. I've been trying to decompile the code as suggested on the wiki, but have had 0 luck.

Can anyone get me started? I've downloaded and installed Visual Studio 2019 for Mac, and opened StardewValley.exe, and thats about it. The VS window shows the words StardewValley on the left side panel, but I haven't figured out how to get it to show me any code. Is there a plugin for VS that I'm missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• minervamaga

minervamaga Pangalactic Porcupine

Not sure if it works for Mac, but you need something like DotPeek to decompile the code. Just opening in VS won't get you anywhere, as the game has been compiled into a working program, which VS can't read.

• nowhere537

nowhere537 Space Hobo

You're right DotPeek isn't for mac. On https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Modding:Modder_Guide/Get_Started#Decompile_the_game_code it says use MonoDevelop on Mac. The MonoDevelop site links you to VS as VS "builds on top of MonoDevelop" and gives increased functionality. That's why I am using VS and assumed it would work. Guess I'll try something else. Thanks though!