1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Having Trouble Passing Level 3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by arcticwolf15, May 12, 2013.

1. arcticwolf15

arcticwolf15 Phantasmal Quasar

I've been trying to pass level three for a while now. I am able to consistently pass level 2 with the commando and less-than-consistently with HAN-D. (Can't play miner for crap)

Here's essentially what I do from the start to my inevitable death:
    • Begin Dried Lake/Desolate Forest
    • Open every chest and kill every enemy in my way
    • Finish the level when all the chests are opened (Leave in easy, usually about 5-6 minutes)
    • Begin Damp Caverns
    • Attempt to find teleporter, open any chest I find, kill roughly 80% of monsters I see
    • Finish and move on (Usually leave in hard/very hard, occasionally leave in medium)
    • Begin Whatever the Snow Level is Called
    • Attempt to find teleporter, open chests if I have money, kill anything I can reasonably kill without dying
    • Activate teleporter
    • Get overwhelmed and die
    I'm not sure if I'm underlevelled, underequipped, or underskilled. Any suggestions on how to improve my game?

• Rawrquaza

Rawrquaza Existential Complex

I would say try to find the teleporters as early as you can. Time = difficulty. Your main focus should be to grab items and proceed, so only worry about killing enough mobs to facilitate your spending habits.

Snow level specifically can be tough, try to score a few quick kills at the start to get some money, but once the imps start to show up just run away. Once you hit the teleporter just kite around the map until the mobs stop spawning. then go back through and carefully take on small manageable chunks.

• arcticwolf15

I'll try that. Thanks.

• joey4track

joey4track Ketchup Robot

It's also good to always keep moving once you activate the teleporter. And if I'm facing a wandering vagrant then I will usually drag him up to one of the higher platforms and take it down after new enemies stop spawning so you can get it by itself.

Rawrquaza likes this.
          • DNLK

DNLK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

"Oh, guys, this game is so hard to me! Please make me kill every mob there with one shot!"

Just. Try. Harder.

• Rawrquaza

I would argue that "trying harder" isn't going to help really. What you need to do is take a deep breath and relax. I do agree that practice is an important part though.

As an aside, I would actually prefer it if the game were more difficult. I like my games with a side of masochism.

Myth likes this.
              • Myth

Myth Space Penguin Leader

Find the teleporter. As you get used to the levels you'll know which side of the map you've spawned on, so explore that side first. You can kill enemies along the way, but the teleporter is your first priority.

Rawrquaza likes this.
                • arcticwolf15

I LIKE challenge in a game. I'm just asking if my strategy needs changing.

Rawrquaza likes this.
                  • joey4track

joey4track Ketchup Robot

That's why there is hardcore mode :)

• Rawrquaza

Yeah, I have only been playing on hardcore. :p

I am interested in the increasing difficulty of hardcore thread.

• Joskineide

Joskineide Astral Cartographer

The best tip I can give is rush trough lvl 2, it will spawn weaker enemies and lvl 4 ain't that dificult :D

• arcticwolf15

I just finished level 3. Thanks for the hints guys!

Rawrquaza likes this.