1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Having beaten the final boss... (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by WraitheDX, Jul 26, 2016.

1. WraitheDX

WraitheDX Aquatic Astronaut

I greatly enjoyed the game, though I have my gripes.

Feedback
    1) The most major inconvenience that is a must-fix (and should be extremely simple) is to have a toggle-able option to
    lock different windows in place. I understand you snap the player-inventory next to opened chests to make it
    simpler to compare and move items, but for all but the most inexperienced gamers this is aggravating. I would
    like to be able to lock each window in a specific spot on my screen, including chest, quest, and codex windows.
    You could also have a button to reset every window to default positions in settings, in case for some reason a
    player managed to get a window stuck where they could not retrieve it.

2) Devs claimed the game could be played completely sandbox, ignoring all quests, but all shops in the hub require quests to unlock.

3) The new toolbar is not the worst, but it is annonying having to switch between two toolbars.
    Maybe add a 'build mode' toolbar that only allows building blocks, furniture and food items (mainly seeds) to be
    inserterd, so players could not cheese through combat with a giant hotbar (if that was your intent with the
    smaller scope on the hotbar), but when building we could have 12, 24, or even 36 items that we can scroll
    through without opening our inventory.

4) Seems like an extreme lack of tutorials in a game that is so focused on wide ranges of game-play and activities. When a new feature is unlocked, have SAIL inform the player that so-and-so at the hub has a new quest to get
    you started with that new thing you just unlocked, leaving it avoidable for sandbox players. Could (probably should) hint at how to progress from the basic workstations built at the inventor's table.
    There is so much to this game, letting a player find there own way through the universe is great, letting them
    find their own way through all your mechanics and systems really does not fit (for me, at least ) in this game.

5) I believe in the early builds there were super-difficult planets to visit to get really good gear, but the last quest left
    me with basically: "You have seen all there is to do, now go do it all until you have found everything..." I
    thought this game had end-game content. A new quest chain would be great, maybe leading to unique weapons
    and armor.

6) I thought mechs were in the game, but I have not seen one bit of info on them, so even if they are, I have no idea
    how to gain access. This is not the kind of thing I should simply stumble across. (If they are not in the game, I
    am not weeping, but would love to see them added. )

7) I think it is a shame you removed the 'boss monster' that existed on each and every planet. That was something fun
    to encounter. Maybe just don't spawn them on the starter planets, or any gentle planets at all? They really should come back, though, and re-spawn after so much time.

Edit:
    8) Fluffalo giving 1 Fiber is horrid, should be a minimum of 5, if not 10. These beasts are large, and I go through fiber like crazy.

9) I had to google for an hour on how to get crew members and upgrade my ship. Players should be led to this.
    End eddit...

Suggestions
    1) I would love to see meaningful side-quest chains. I want some characters in the game that I can feel like I helped
    other than just to open a new shop or progress the story. How about a young Glitch that wants to be a top-rated
    chef, but just has no sense of taste? (I love you, Bender!) He would ask you to scour all over for new
    ingredients, and after so many ingredient quests, he would then ask you to make a complicated recipe that
    requires multiple simpler recipes.

First few quests should be very simple and require only the basic campfire. I really enjoy farming and cooking in this game, so I would also like to see a small restaurant (or a short-order cook in the Beak-Easy), that requires a special recipe each day, and not just one of it, but for that day they will pay you a little more than that recipe is worth, so it gives us farmers that plant and raise everything something fun to do each day.

The cook could also give you some kind of points (like the Penguin Dubloons) for each day that you turn in the day's recipe (though you only get 1 a day regardless of how many of that recipe you turn in. It would be a nice
    addition to either have the cook tell you what tomorrow's recipe will be, or have some kind of place-able radio
    that would tell you what the current day's recipe is, so that the player does not have to visit, leave, cook, re-
    visit.

2) Wiring/Engineering quest chain. An NPC that you work with to unlock new wiring recipes, like the lasers we encounter in certain quest dungeons, or scanners like the mod that allows you to get a mini-map view of the underground of the planet it is on. Make these things upgrade-able through more difficult quests.

3) You already allow players to play through the game focusing on questing, exploring and/or farming, but I would love to see more! You have a crew system, add in a band system or allow recruiting crew members that play
    certain instruments, so you could make money traveling to settlements and performing solo or with a band.
    Could either have a mini-game similar to guitar hero or simply let the player select which songs to play and
    each settlement/race would have hints on what songs they like or want to hear. I would love to play as a bard.

4) I would also love to play as a merchant! Have an introductory quest chain into mercantilism, and have different planets/systems in demand for different goods. These goods should be actual goods though, with no other use.
    This ensure that if the player made an unwise investment, buying 10 shipments of wool clothing and taking it to
    a fiery star system, for example, the will not make any money off of it. Each settlement could have one or
    more merchants that deal only in goods, and the more you trade with a certain merchant or settlement, the
    better their prices and offers get, so it encourages you to establish trade routes, but still explore when you are only offered shipments that are not wanted in your usual runs.

5) Maybe I just have not seen it yet, but with all the complex wiring in this game, we should have midi-sequencers and
    note-playing items that we can link together to make music for our bases. We should have that for every
    implemented instrument, as well as good sound effects such as rain, waves, meteors, lasers, and many more!

6) I love the light/liquid/entity sensors, but would love more. I would like specific weather sensors, like rain/snow/
    meteor shower, so that I can have a my base reveal a glass canopy for viewing these beautiful effects. It would
    be neat to have sound/sound effect sensors, so if the player steps on a trigger you linked to a laser sound effect,
    they duck or jump expecting a laser, then a boulder falls on their head or a spike trap open beneath them. Heh,
    I giggled typing that one out.

Sorry for the giant post, but thank you for reading.
    I have so many more things I could add, but these are my most pressing thoughts.
    My wife and I are loving this game, and cannot wait to see it grow.

Please do not make us wait months for new content. I know you all are planning on doing themed content, but while that is great, everyone wants a different theme and waiting 3 months for 1 theme that you are not interested in will be pretty brutal, then you realize you waited a year for the 1 theme you did want. Maybe try a super small update once every two weeks, or a full theme once a month (obviously both is even better)?

Also, I love the fishing theme you all seemed to be hinting at a couple weeks back. Let's see it, please!

You all have taken a lot of heat from the community (some of it rather justified, the game is very different from what was originally pitched), but this game is wonderful and we are all waiting to see where you take it. Any chance you all are still looking into weather machines, mass terra-forming, or the Game Master mode? Those are the main features that drug me in from the original pitch.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    EchoesOfRain and metaspy like this.
  2. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

I just spent 2 hours in a underground floran village, while it gets a lot of module stuff it was visually and adventure related just a pain. seeing for 2 hours nothing than thse same 6 types of houses is just OUCH, and that biome is HUGE and I have not contunied to run through all of it. it would be nice if those biomes had great loot yet were MUCH smaller making it worth to find them, and less of a grind through them.

There are just sooooo many things that need the final touch to make them look finished and not looking like half done. that really really bothers me. and I wonder if the game will hae more than 10% of the palyerbase in the steam statistics form launch date. I somehow doubt it.
    Sb has a lot features features that could be great but most are just unfinished.

3. Omegagreen

Omegagreen Starship Captain

It's too bad that now the player is part of the protectorate and is now meant to be a rip-off the Green Lantern. That might be why there are so little alternate options than the story. I fully support what you are saying though.

4. Zinerith

Zinerith Cosmic Narwhal

It would be great if each race had a different storyline in later builds. Simply put, it would add much replay value, and be interesting. The arc would only be used in the "Human" questline (The Protecterate and the Ruin) but it would be very interesting indeed!

Sh4dowWalker96 likes this.
  5. Omegagreen

Omegagreen Starship Captain

Okay, personally, I think the humans are overrated, but sending people on these linear paths kind of takes away from the whole "You can do what you want" goal. It would be great if there was no intro bit and the game let you avoid any story at your will. So, you do have a point, but I don't necessarily agree with you (The Ark is in the wrong game entirely, running on magic and the power of hate. Just what makes no sense in a sci-fi genre) Participating in these storylines, any storylines could be interesting, if just left as an optional extra.

6. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

maybe in future the other races get their own queslines, and maybe soem more creative ones where we also may be able to choose various pathes. Like either helong minoknog or the resistance.
    helping the hyotl to rebuild a city that woudl also eb amazign a this would then be made around the deeding fature of the game.