Hark, a Stable Update! v. Upbeat Giraffe

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jan 28, 2015.

1. AdenSword

AdenSword Pangalactic Porcupine

They are going to change that Right? I hope so, because I like restarting with new characters with nothing on them, if this is true, and stays like this, then I will make a new character which will spawn on a world sucked dry of resources...

If not, then PLEASE I BEG OF YOU! SOMEONE MAKE A MOD TO HAVE DIFFERENT UNIVERSE FILES THAT WORK THE WAY TERRARIA DOES!

2. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Better idea that's more likely to be possible in the first place: a mod that makes it pick random starter planets the way Koala did OH WAIT THAT'S RIGHT I just described that!

DarthTrethon likes this.
  3. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

You can change the seed of the universe or simply use a mod to only "cheat" the exact items in the quantities you need to get off the starting planet. or out of the starting solar system and that's it. The stable update barely released a few days ago, how many characters did you start to drain the bloody planet of resources? If it's not drained and you're just annoyed of repetition then why do you keep starting new characters and repeating the same quests? The game is still in beta.....certain things are not final, I doubt this one is....for the time being a) this really shouldn't be a problem and if it is you're doing something wrong yourself and b) it's a beta.....make do, it's too easy.

Tournesolbook likes this.
  4. ezkiel

ezkiel Orbital Explorer

Personally i like the update so far but there is constant stuttering which i never experienced before. And i tried hard to play it from start without just spwaming ores and stuff but i gave up after 2h, in those 2h i wasted 1h looking for cooper ore and most mods that i was using to fix that issue are broken ofc luckily creative mode still works.
    Also i don't see the point about complaining with this platforming stuff, terraria had plenty of those and this game kinda draws a lot from it

5. MetaSieg

MetaSieg Phantasmal Quasar

:party:Woohoo! Party!:party: It's finally out. Goodbye social life.

DarthTrethon likes this.
  6. N3verstar

N3verstar Void-Bound Voyager

yes i know its not final thats why i said i HOPE things change. i make different characters for different reasons, one is multiplayer, one is single player, one is trying out novakid. for experience sake i don't want to have each one start out the same way. I didnt know about cheats to get off starting planet faster so thanks and i did not drain of resources, its just tedious and not fun :(:( If this was not a problem for me i would not have posted, i am doing nothing wrong other than playing the game. yes things are easy but also boring, maybe things will be more fun later on i am not very far

7. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Bad news, haters: I can't seem to make it pick different starting planets for each player.

Now to watch noone at all read this.

Tamorr, NeoFoxx000 and Dinoyipi like this.
  8. Yuppa64

Yuppa64 Void-Bound Voyager

Please tell me that you fixed the problem where modders could modify themselves giving them invincibility and infinite energy on vanilla servers.. If they want o mod thats fine, just keep it away from the people who play legit..

9. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Try to stick with one of those paths for a while.....you'll experience more new and original content than you are now I promise. There's new biomes and bosses and over 150 underground minidungeons and cooking recipes and biome specific content and sweet toys and lots, lots, lots more to discover that is not race specific......just leave the starting solar system alone. You're not gaining much from the different species now beyond a different looking ship and maybe some race speciffic armors you won't see until later in the game anyway. If you want to experience new content just decide on one character and mode of play and just stick with it......you're sort of aggravating your own problem now....you're playing it wrong.

10. Jardi-Gol

Jardi-Gol Big Damn Hero

Hello guys.
    First of all I would like to thank to all developers for the great effort on this update and all the work done here. There's a lot of work here in this last patch.
    Well, but as a Server Admin and checking what things not working well as a community, I would like to transmit some problems to be solved:
    - People connecting in a multiplayer server goes all to the same planet, same solar system. This is a problem with the resources: trees simply disapeer as many players catch the trees for them;
    - One of the first missions ask as to plant wheat. As a human, I don't have any wheat on my ship...where can I find that? The planet don't have it...odd.

I hope you can find a solution for this on the future. I think Random Spawns and Random Systems were better in the past than now.
    Thank You and good work.

11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Here's a workaround from IRC.

Basically, have an admin do /spawnitem sapling and those breakable rocks fulla ores to periodically restock, as it were.

12. supernovus

supernovus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I really like the new update. I've been playing it through the Nightlies for a while. I do think the Penguin Mech boss is way overpowered. The only way I've been able to beat him is with /admin, which is something users shouldn't have to resort to. All the other bosses were tough, but doable. They weren't "two shots, you're dead". Heck, I went in with end-tier armor, and still got my butt whopped.

Here's to the non-fighter path coming up. Although I do enjoy playing out most of the new missions. Just that damn Mech...

DarthTrethon likes this.
  13. Jardi-Gol

Jardi-Gol Big Damn Hero

Hello Kawa. Thank you very much for the help. It's indeed a help. But as I want the server to be Automatic, to be a free universe, and just want to be a simple player like the others, I consider that a cheat. I want to fight to have my own stuff :)
    Thank You very much one more time.

14. One of Six

One of Six Phantasmal Quasar

So, everything was interesting and I got to the Mine Quest, and if I fail the quest, the game crashes. (I made a bug post on the forums about it.)

If the game crashes, log files start disappearing like they did in previous builds.

This does not seem "stable" per se.

I'm actually dreading what will happen if I ever complete the quest.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  15. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

That's why you let a dedicated admin do it, and not a "regular" player.

16. Jardi-Gol

Jardi-Gol Big Damn Hero

Kawa, the server is good without any person doing stuff like that. We want the server as a free universe, without any cheat done by any admin. I understand all what you're saying but is not our way of thinking to do on our server. The game must have all what we need without any cheat.
    Thank You very much.

17. Corehaven

Corehaven Subatomic Cosmonaut

I like the update....I think. The missions and quests are a nice addition. Having to mine with the matter manipulator is a little slow going and frustrating being that it starts out with a narrow field.

But the thing I'm disliking the most is the lack of hunger. The survival aspect. I tried to find a mod that added it back in. I hope either the devs put hunger back in or someone fixes this with a mod.
    I can't figure out why in the world they'd remove it in the first place.

Sese and Kyasupah like this.
  18. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Because there wasn't any real survival to it. You'd just beam down to the planet, repeadly die on a timer because of running out of hunger, get a bow, cook 999 meat, then you're set for the game and you just need to stuff your face everytime that bleeping hunger siren went off.

beatleskinks likes this.
  19. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I'm sorry to say, but it's this way or no way.

Besides, there's a reason you need admin status to spawnitem and such. Basically the same reason old games' cheats are called debug mode. So what you might do is stop calling them cheats? Yeah, I know, wild idea.

20. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

I tought this was a discussion about the starbound update. Obviously not. ^