[Guide] Splitscreen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thatnzguy, May 2, 2018.

1. thatnzguy

thatnzguy Void-Bound Voyager

I've got it mostly working, Here's a quick guide.

Equipment

You'll need 2 Keyboards for comfort, you probably could squeeze onto one if you had to.
    You could instead map a controller using Xpadder to simulate keypresses instead of a second keyboard.

Limitations
    1. Mouse positioning is offset from the resizing, and mouse clicking with click on both games. You'll have to play without the mouse.
    2. This method uses a paid/30 day trial program. I'll try to find another method later.
    3. This method only supports 2 players. If you want to do more (most likely this is totally possible) you'll probably need to set up different Windows user accounts, and then run SDV by pressing Shift+Right click > Run as User. Be sure to have a password on the user for it to work.
    1. SDV window setup: Don't lose focus and window resizing
    1. Download Actual Window Manager https://www.actualtools.com/windowmanager/
    2. Open the game files folder and run SDV from the exe
    3. In the top window title bar there are new buttons, press the wrench and Create new Specific Settings
    4. Goto the Startup tab and check Ignore Deactivation
    5. You can define window position and size now in this window, or later. I recommend 50%x50%. There's a lot of wasted space, but at least it's the correct ratio.
    2. Connecting
    1. Start Coop Host multiplayer (make sure there is at least one starting Cabin, this is the server player size)
    2. Run another SDV from the exe
    3. Join Coop multiplayer with an IP Localhost, you should see the hosted game.
    3. Controls

Both games are now being played from the same controls, we need to set the keys to be different.
    1. On the second game change all the keys to be something different than the Host. Eg, change up/down/left/right to be on the numpad.
    2. Once the changes are made be sure to sleep one night to save the settings.

Important - you must sleep to save setting changes and your connecting player save

This hasn't been thoroughly tested, there might be other limitations or problems, let me know how it goes.

splitscreen.png

• nightleld

nightleld Space Hobo

That's awesome you got splitscreen working!

• glowstar

glowstar Space Hobo

but the trail is only 60 days :(

• thatnzguy

thatnzguy Void-Bound Voyager

We have until that long to find a better solution, that's not bad!

• Kimayushi

Kimayushi Space Hobo

I know I posted this in another area of the forums but will split screen be supported on consoles?