1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue gotta problem with connecting to the server

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by slytherhex, Nov 8, 2018.

1. slytherhex

slytherhex Space Hobo

so i got the game really recently (like, 20mins ago recently) but I can't seem to launch it. i did some googling around before posting this and it seems you have to run both the game and the server - which i think i'm doing right, the game through steam and the server through the actual game files.

but when i go to 'start game' it doesn't work. i just get this warning: unable to start local server (UniverseServerException) Could not acquire lock for the universe directory

i'm pretty sure my computer meets the games requirements, so i don't think it's that (altho i'm not very knowledgeable on the matter, so). what do i do?

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

You dont need to run the server when playing singleplayer. If you run a server locally you have to connect via multiplayer to localhost otherwise singleplayer will fail due to the server locking the universe folder.

3. slytherhex

slytherhex Space Hobo

when i run it without the server i get a 'client ship world has errored' alert

edit: i launched it as an admin as it worked, we're all good

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018