1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Community Glitch Ship AI Feedback

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Izzabelle, Jun 19, 2014.

?

Do you like the Glitch Ship AI?

1. No, I really really dislike it

156 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. No

58 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Yes

47 vote(s)
    11.0%
  4. Yes, I really really like it

121 vote(s)
    28.3%
  5. I am indifferent

46 vote(s)
    10.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meckell

Meckell Void-Bound Voyager

I've already come up with my own skul-gun for horse AI!

Glitch are AI. Horse AI isn't a proper ship computer, it's your fellow Outcast buddy! Pry open the computer panel, and there's an inert Glitch body in the wall, wired into the rest of the ship.
    Your... slightly weird Outcast buddy.

"Why are you a horse?"
    "Don't ask questions you don't really want to know the answers to."
    "You've been exposed to humans, haven't you?"
    ".........yes."

Conveniently, this explains ship upgrades.

"Do you actually know how to get this thing into orbit?"
    "I'm sure I can figure it out on the fly."
    "I'm beginning to have doubts about this whole partnership."
    "TOO LATE!" *liftoff*

And the whole getting stranded thing at the beginning

"I have good news and bad news."
    "What did you break this time?"
    "The hyperdrive. Also the fuel's gone."
    "What, all of it?!"
    "BUT, we're over a planet, and if you can fix it, I know how not to do that next time!"

Did I mention it's your slightly weird Outcast buddy?

"No, no, I don't care about your spirit spaceship animal whatever thing - Can you please just stop acting out your bizarre fantasies on my ship?"
    "Since I technically AM the ship now, are you suggesting that our partnership is no longer of an equal nature?"
    "Well, now, that's not what I-"
    "Because that sounds very exciting!"
    "OKAY, THIS CONVERSATION NEVER HAPPENED"

2. Dagorran

Dagorran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Like I said earlier, the glitch hive-mind may generally be dour but the Player character glitch are supposed to be fully self-aware.

Zouleena likes this.
  3. Zouleena

Zouleena Pangalactic Porcupine

Not talking of lore here, I was speaking to the inappropriate insinuations in the other post.

And, Dag, I whole-heartedly agree with you. My little Glitch is no longer a Borg, I am my own entity and maybe I prefer speaking with a representation of a flesh-based creature based some lore from a howeverlongago tale of my ancestors that has passed on somehow. Who knows? Maybe, that's just how I roll... jumping around planet to planet smelling the roses as I go.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  4. Jeoshua

Jeoshua Existential Complex

There are so many better options than the Horse tho, ones that fit the race, match the tone of the other races AIs, and would have everyone pretty much liking it:

Glitchspeare
    Squire/Serf
    Sorcerer
    Command Prompt
    Regular Horse
    Robot Horse

Literally anything but a derpy looking horse with a rack that looks exactly like something off a cheesy internet meme.

5. NiamhNyx

NiamhNyx Phantasmal Quasar

It would be more like a logo on a piece of paper.

I am perfectly sure a lot of people don't like things in other games, and those things were not removed and the game was still successful.

6. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

It looks weird, but I don't play as Glitch anyway. It's not terrible, but I do think it's a bit unfitting. Hope they consider changing it, but if they don't, no harm done. It's not as if it's some crudely drawn horse.

Still though, they should probably change it.

7. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

Yet we're still here. Even if they removed humans as a playable race I would still probably be here, because a high ratio of human-to-anthro characters is not what I look for in a game.
    My point was that people who actually play these games or participate in the communities, they would know better than to think every game with anthro creatures would be a "furry game". At least I would hope so.

But you're correct, my bad. I wasn't intending to sound elitist. People who only play CoD or Madden 2014 or Tetris or whatever can call themselves gamers too. They probably wouldn't fit in with this community anyway, though, so still, no big loss if people who have the wrong idea about gaming leave for such an ignorant reason.
    I and many others would certainly do all that if CF started bending over backwards to accommodate haters at the expense of their vision.

CF has repeatedly told us that there is room in this game for silliness.

8. This is true, they ARE different, but you forgot two very important things.
    1. They're not necessarily different in personality. The only consistent difference between player glitches and hive-mind glitches is that they're self aware. Due to their upbringing, they could very well be just as serious as their hive-mind brethren. However, the choice is ultimately up to the player.
    2. Even if your Glitch is wacky and silly and different from the other Glitch, it probably doesn't matter. You may be strange by their standards, but the creator of the ship, almost certainly isn't. Considering you're an outcast, you've probably stolen the ship you start out with, meaning you get the regular hive-mind A.I.
      Even if you didn't steal it, you probably bought it or borrowed it off someone else. Most people wouldn't make their own ship. Only a select few would be able to engineer something as advanced as a spaceship.

9. Jeoshua

I'm sorry if that offended you, but that's exactly how I felt when I saw the AI the first time: offended. That's a big reason that I'm so against it.

Skyblade799 likes this.
  10. Colton

Colton Phantasmal Quasar

Apologies if this has already been stated, but the mechanical reason that female glitch (and florans) have breasts is simply so that CF can make both male and female armor without creating race-specific proportions. Last I checked (and please feel free to correct me) Glitch originally didn't have thicker breastplates for the sake of gender identity. It was simply a mechanical issue. Therefore the breasts in the horse AI really don't make any sense if somebody takes the position that the only reason why it's a horse is because horses were a means of transport. Mammary glands have no use to glitch (and it could be argued that they would even be foreign) so therefore they have no place in the AI. Unless that's glitched too, which just feels like a cop-out excuse.

The way I see it, the joke came before the lore, regardless of what the devs have said. It's something wacky for the sake of something wacky, and I don't really think it fits the rest of the theme as far as the AI is concerned. Glitch state their emotion, then follow through with a sentence. That's it. To include this funky humanized horse just seems completely against the lore that has been established. Besides, it make no sense to show an otherwise organic horse when they're already riding mechanical ones.

11. Ramones_fan

Ramones_fan Pangalactic Porcupine

can we all agree to disagree , stop fighting and get on to the looting abd pillaging?

12. UnsubRedun

UnsubRedun Plebeian

Wait I can understand how you wouldn't like a horse with boobs. I get that. But why would you be offended?

E: Also I'm fully aware that there's a real life reason why the robots have "male" and "female" designation, but I was responding to someone who was using in-game and lore justifications, so I was as well. Context, people.

13. Novakids are a stretch goal. They'll come in later.

I don't see any fighting.
    We might be arguing, but I wouldn't call it fighting.

Dagorran likes this.
  14. Good job keeping the civility everyone.

I don't see much fighting. Arguing is healthy, just no need to attack anyone.

15. NiamhNyx

NiamhNyx Phantasmal Quasar

How does a pixelated reverse centaur offend you? I don't find it offensive in anyway.

16. Jeoshua

If you don't understand, that's probably better for your sanity.

Let's just say there are unfortunate implications there. Secondarilly it looks precisely like this internet meme:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hor...=org.mozilla:en-US:official&safe=off&tbm=isch

17. Fiben Bolger

Fiben Bolger Pangalactic Porcupine

Boobcephalus.

I could work with that ship name.

Look up Alexander the Great's horse.

The | Suit and Zouleena like this.
  18. UnsubRedun

UnsubRedun Plebeian

No, please, enlighten us. It was apparently the theme of several of your posts seeing as you had to clarify that you're offended. If it's offensive, Chucklefish should remove it, as that's beyond the level of "well I just don't like it". Being offensive is a big deal.

19. qwepir

qwepir Void-Bound Voyager

I hope at least modders can fix it, if it becomes a thing. If you people like it that's fine but I can't stand it. It looks abysmally stupid no matter how hard you try to justify it.

20. Jeoshua

Go back and read, I did clarify after the initial post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.