Gamepad support

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by MrLevi, Aug 22, 2013.

1. MrLevi

MrLevi Phantasmal Quasar

Since Starbound has been announced to be going to the PS4 and the PS Vita, I think Gamepad support should be an easy thing to add to the PC version of Starbound.

All the keyboard/mouse inputs could stay the same as they would still be the primary input method. But it would be really great if after using my mouse/keyboard to put together my house if I could then lean back in my chair and start exploring and fighting with the gamepad, even if it was missing a bit of functionality. No reason why I couldn't use both really.

I know a lot of people seem to hate the idea of GamePads on the PC, but the great thing about PC's is that they CAN use multiple input devices, unlike most consoles. Platforming feels fantastic and natural with a gamepad, and I think its always a shame when a platformer forces you to hunch over a keyboard.

:metroid: Anyway, that is it. :metroid:

uHu likes this.
  2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

4. MrLevi

MrLevi Phantasmal Quasar

5. Clockwork

6. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Probably not a necessity for until after release. I mean, the controls have so far been designed with mouse and keyboard in mind. The devs need to ensure the gamepad controls have the same functionality with all the relevant usability. I honestly don't plan on using anything besides my good old mouse and keyboard, though.

And like Clockwork said, this has been brought up before. Maybe run a search next time to be sure it hasn't been posted by someone else.

KyPTeD, Facethelight and MrLevi like this.
  7. MrLevi

MrLevi Phantasmal Quasar

Same problem. ;)

Oh absolutely it should be done after release. I figure sometime while they are making the console versions they could add it. I'm not even really sure the gamepad needs all the same functionality though, some things the mouse is just better at. I figure as long as it can navigate the ui and bind a few buttons to the hotbar, it would probably be "good enough".

8. Looka

Looka Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Devs already announced thad gamepad support will be a post-release update. I can't remember where I read it but I'm pretty sure.
    After all why not?

MrLevi likes this.
  9. MrLevi

MrLevi Phantasmal Quasar

Ah really? I must have missed that. Good to know! :)

10. atbmatus

atbmatus Subatomic Cosmonaut

This game is perfect for mouse+keyboard not for a gamepad.

KyPTeD and Spertin like this.
  11. Spertin

Spertin Big Damn Hero

Keyboard is the best invention ever, why do you all need a gamepad ??

atbmatus likes this.
  12. Clockwork

omg poeple like thing that you don't. What a world, what a world.

13. MrLevi

MrLevi Phantasmal Quasar

I've been gaming since the C64 days and its pretty much been my main hobby my entire life. Keyboards ARE great, but they are pretty uncomfortable for platformers. Flight simulators are best with joysticks, FPS's are best with a mouse, and platformers play best on a gamepad. I'd hate to play something like Super Meatboy on a keyboard, it would be pretty bad for your wrists. :D

Starbound's building elements probably work better with a mouse though, so I actually would prefer to use both.

14. Spertin

Spertin Big Damn Hero

If you think so, but I prefer to use a keyboard for a platformer, above all for a platformer..

MrLevi likes this.
  15. Galtir

Galtir Aquatic Astronaut

And? Controller support inc?
    ...jeah, i know, the Game is dead already...
    :(

16. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

No, they haven't added it yet.

Proof?

17. Clockwork

They haven't updated it since last night.

bbbg likes this.
  18. joaorafaelrr

joaorafaelrr Subatomic Cosmonaut

I like to play games while i sit on my lazy chair.
    I tryed to configure the gamepad with many softwares, but what i really want to do but don't know how,
    is to center de mouse in the character and make the crosshair go from the character to the place i want when i use the analag controller. i think it's is the best way to play action rpgs or any game.
    Then fi i press menu button, the mouse get free and i can move it all the screen whatever i want.
    Remembering, i'm doing all this while i lay in my lazy chair and drink my beer. :)
    Such a dream, please make it true! kkkkkkkkkkkk