1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Game performance (Lags)

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Cat_Fuzz, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Cat_Fuzz

Cat_Fuzz Star Wrangler

I haven't tried this admittedly, so I'll have a go when I'm done at work

2. BeckyRAT

BeckyRAT Astral Cartographer

Sorry to necro this thread, but yes, stopping the steam overlay fixes the problem... BUT. This is how my friends and I play together, soo.... this really screws me out of the game. :/

3. Cat_Fuzz

Cat_Fuzz Star Wrangler

I've tried this - still having issues

4. QuantumProjects

QuantumProjects Star Wrangler

At least now we know that Steam Overlay is part of the problem. I suggest you report your experience as a Bug Ticket (something like "Steam Overlay causes lag"), so that the developers get to know it too.

5. Zancuno

Zancuno Existential Complex

It's completely terrible for me and I have even boosted the performance of my laptop... sure it's no gaming laptop but I can play other steam games fine. If I try to screen record.... just wow... it skips all over the place. This all started upon Starbound 1.0, I never had a problem with Glad Giraffe. The only thing I can thing of is something to do with the coding. The lua memory use is outrageous according to the debug window.... It makes it rather hard for me to mod and record to show off my progress... It has to be something with how the game is coded. A busy area or just a single monster coming into view drops my fps from about 40 to 6.... not to mention what I'm seeing in task manager....... my cpu is hitting 99% constantly and the memory about 60%+ all the time.... there is always more than a gigabyte of memory running constant..

In past in Glad Giraffe this usage was nowhere near that.

Processor: Intel Celeron 3205U 1.50GHz
    8GB of RAM Duo
    Windows 10 64bit

6. Omnija

Omnija Cosmic Narwhal

MetaAdept mentioned they were working on perf improvements for 1.2, so best suggestion would to wait and see.

7. bn880

bn880 Orbital Explorer

Update: Looks like my issue was caused by new Forceware drivers for Win 10 (for my laptop). Using old drivers which enabled Optimus/NVIDIA solved that. So, that is not to say there isn't some FPS issue in 1.1.1 though, I have yet to find out. (on 1.1.0 now)

8. Cassio

Cassio Void-Bound Voyager

Me and my girlfriend was playing normally the beta game and I remember the first time she tried using the OpenGL version the game's FPS dropped to 1-5. So she used the DirectX version and her FPS went to 20-30.

Now since the 1.0 is OpenGL only, she just cannot play the game anymore with me :(

Are the developers going to release a DirectX version soon? I really wish I could play with her again...

9. BeckyRAT

BeckyRAT Astral Cartographer

Yeah, I'm still unable to teleport down to a new planet, too... I uninstalled FrankenUniverse, deleted all my saves and stuff to make a whole new character aaaand... no dice.

Chucklefish... PLEASE do something about these bugs this update. Many people can't play this and it's... well. From a game designer point of view? This is a joke.

10. BigEaredKittens

BigEaredKittens Master Astronaut

Starbound is s-s-still stuh-stuuuhhh-stuttery. Just starbound, nothing else.

I too would like to try a directX version, see if fix problem.

Roselle likes this.
  11. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

Code:
    Processor Name:    Intel Core i7
      Processor Speed:    1.8 GHz
      Number of Processors:    1
      Total Number of Cores:    2
      L2 Cache (per Core):    256 KB
      L3 Cache:    4 MB
      Memory:    4 GB
      Boot ROM Version:    MBA41.0077.B14
      SMC Version (system):    1.73f66
      Serial Number (system):    C02G64J3DJWR

12. babfoxj

babfoxj Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My Computer Specs:

Dual-Boot iMac, Mid-2011
    Mac OS 10.9 / Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i5-2400x CPU @ 2.5GHz
    64-bit on both OS
    12 GB Ram
    Uses Steam
    SB files saved to external hybrid drive, connected via USB 3.0

I'm experiencing the lag issue on both the Mac side and the Windows side. I've noticed it is the worse when you are near the gate to the Ruin (if it is open). FPS drops to about 4, and the walk into the Ark is slowly loading, such that whole sections of the map do not appear until you are closer. I've tried turning off Steam Overlay and I still experience the same amount of lag.

The data transfer between my external drive and computer is fast enough to handle some of the more complex OpenGL games, and some 3D games as well. But the problem is still persistent when I install the game to my computer directly.

I hope my post will help with finding a solution to the issue.

13. Megumin

Megumin Guest

try to play on maxed zoom and low resolution screen

14. Cat_Fuzz

Cat_Fuzz Star Wrangler

15. Megumin

Megumin Guest

16. Valiantic

Valiantic Tentacle Wrangler

Hasn't helped me at any rate. The issue persists and by now I've done everything I could think off. I've managed to put 120 hours into this game before the Devs decided to break it and leave me (and others in this thread) with zero response. At this point I'd request a refund was it not for Steam's poor policy in regards to those. I've deleted registry keys (mentioned for older 1.0 fixes), I've reinstalled the game several times, disabled the Steam overlay, I've tried graphical drivers both new and old; Not specifically for this game but my windows has been cleanly reinstalled recently. I've tampered with the settings in the Nvidia inspector, I've forced Vsync off in every possible way and even tried the above program. Yet in the end.. The game remains unplayable with poor FPS since this 1.1 update.

Chucklefish, more like chuckle-f-up.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    Zancuno likes this.
  17. Gaikotsu1234

Gaikotsu1234 Orbital Explorer

Valiantic, just for the sake of trying, can you do the following and then post the resultant log file after a few minutes of playing? Remember to close out of the app at the end to get all the way to the exit stats please.

Open up starbound.config and find "scriptProfilingEnabled".
    Set that to true.
    Open up Starbound.
    Do Stuff.
    Cause a few "world" changes. (Such as warping from ship to planet)

Valiantic likes this.
  18. Valiantic

Hey there,

Appreciate another thing to try out and do though I'm unsure what that setting actually influences. I expected a log to be created with it but that didn't appear to be the case. It does seem to help somewhat, strangely enough, for my framerate seems stable on the planets themselves. (Though they were before); On my ship my framerate drops from 60 down to 20-ish and up again at a rather quick rate.

Upon staring at what went on for a few minutes on my main character, I think the optimization/leak may possibly come from ship followers. When I move around (purely on my ship) my fps seems to drop by 5-10. When my pet moves around (though it is hard to say with other NPC's on board) it adds another 10 or so. When the rest of the NPCs move (An Avian, a Novakid, a Floran and some Penguins) it drops down to 20 and even below. I've tried to keep them all on-screen as I gave it a bit. (Though this was all observed with mods enabled.)

I've jumped onto an alt Novakid character and a new Hylotl character, Novakid (no crew on either ship) already existing and the framerate seems more stable. The Hylotl only saw drops with the pet moving on a completely unrepaired and unused ship.

Another thing I noticed now was whenever the characters warp, the fps has a hiccup and drops to 30 or below too though considering I'm taking that as a loading screen and doesn't affect anything further, that's forgivable but it may help with pinning something down.

I'll fiddle around with it some more later (without mods for one and maybe I can find/test the 1.1 update instead of a 1.1.1), it does seem to improve things, whatever this setting affected.

19. Valiantic

After testing some more on a 1.1.0 version (so not the latest 1.1.1 build); FPS is vastly better for me on ships even with heavy crew. I hopped into singleplayer and spawned 10 human airshipcaptain NPC's and saw only a drop of 5 fps. I went on to spawn two crew members (both human) and saw no real drop on FPS even as they all moved. (Beyond the initial 5 loss)

I restarted the game, made a new character, spawned two crew members (novakid and floran) and my FPS kept at the maxed out 62 the game allows. (The unfixed ship doesn't support more then two and I couldn't be bothered spending a lot of time into this further.)

So that's it for me, I'm calling the 1.1.1 poorly optimized/leaking/otherwise bugged and I hope they'll fix that soon.

20. Zancuno

Zancuno Existential Complex

I've already posted here but..... The lag has literally made the first boss impossible. I had to delete my saves and restart them for modding development reasons... and well..
    .... I got hit by one of the lasers and my fps dropped to 0. My screen froze and Starbound went unresponsive. It was so bad that I lost control of my laptop not being able to do anything and I had to hard shut down my laptop. Oh and I gave up on the FIRST BOSS for now, not wanting to admin my way out. Wanting to play legit. So I decided to go ahead and spawn NPCs to build a crew. I got my first npc mission...... I had to save a captured Floran from some Apex. You know 3 Apex, rather easy.... nope....the game lagged so hard when I got to them that my cursor no longer responded.... I died literally a defenseless Statue... I tried to fight them and reclaim my items 8 TIMES!!!!. I actually had to give up and enter admin mode just to finish that quest to get my first crew member....

The game becomes unplayable for me x.x

And being the lead modder currently behind the still in updating from beta Lucario Race... this is rather discouraging....